16 DAYS TO OUR 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by milosmommy, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

I have been really bad about coming to these boards. On September 22nd Milo will celebrate one year OTJ! I still can't believe he hasn't had a shot in a year. I found these boards 2 years after we were diagnosed and after reading the posts made the decision to try the advice of the people here who appeared more knowledgeable than my previous vet. We switched vets, started home tested, dropped the vet recommended dry cat food (even though diabetic recommended), posted numbers--reduced insulin following people's advice here and have our diabetes diet controlled.

Milo has lost almost 5 pounds since going to Fancy Feast canned. He eats chicken, pork and beef "people" food. There are things I know he shouldn't eat but he gets in moderation...the Lucky Charms milk or Coco Puff's milk he sits patiently at the table for, the taco meat, the blueberry oatmeal and today's new discovery chocolate muscle milk! Those are in tiny amounts and we do monitor glucose levels after he gets something weird or new. His numbers are consistently in the 50's or 60's. He is a different kitty....loves chasing butterflies and is awake so much more. Today he was up from about 7AM to 2PM...just following us and playing.

To those with newly diagnosed kitties....please research, read through the posts here. Make sure you are comfortable with your vet. If you are not happy or uncomfortable try a different vet. Although it is very difficult to even thing...trust the people here on these boards. It was hard to do...my husband and vet both thought I was crazy trusting and trying what was on these boards. Now they are both believers...my vet is now a believer in low carbs for diabetics. Some cats can't be diet controlled but I am thankful daily to everyone here who helped Milo get his health back! He had issues with his ears this spring and still maintained his low numbers. We were able to go on vacation and leave canned food and 2 automatic feeders with his 'grandparents' . I now don't worry about 'grandpa' having to chase him and give him a shot or what his numbers are.

Will try to be more active around here now that things have 'calmed' around here....but wanted to once again say thanks and wish all the kitties good numbers. To the newbies just take a deep breath and relax...things will look better....I remember the tears the first weeks....then the tears last year when I saw 500's and excessive drinking. Believe in the experts here.....

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy one year OTJ!!

3. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

hooray, milo!!!

binks

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Great post! One that deserves to be...BUMPED! :)
    jeanne

5. charliepants

charliepants New Member

Congratulations to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.