17, Diabetic, Malignant Melanoma, BAD teeth

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by swengert, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swengert

swengert New Member

My name is Sam and I am Mom to a very special domestic short hair tabby. My Doc is shades of black and gray with a white belly and paws. Doc is my love bug who snuggles, purrs, and wakes me up when he’s hungry. He has Mommy wrapped around his paw!

Doc is 17 years old and we have been battling his diabetes for over 6 years now. I almost lost him summer 2009 due to a bad insulin reaction. He has really bad teeth (apparently related to the diabetes) and he had cleanings twice a year from 2003 until 2008. In July 2008 he had a bad reaction to the anesthesia which caused an almost comatose state for two days followed by violent vomiting for another day. Since that time I have refused to allow him to be put back under anesthesia.

Over the last year we have dealt with varying degrees of sickness with vomiting and accidental bowel movements averaging 2 ½ times a week in the last 8 months. He had a 4 month check-up on Thursday 10/28. I was informed that he almost certainly has malignant melanoma inside his mouth, as well as a small speck on his ear and a mass the size of a pea on his lower back (this is the site I actually pointed out to the vet during his checkup). Add to the list that he has 5 teeth the vet would like to remove as he states these teeth are all abscessed. Not sure I completely agree with this as Doc’s eating habits have not changed, including his ability to eat dry food as well as canned. The vet has proposed Doc have the full cleaning with extractions of the 5 teeth, a biopsy of the melanoma spots, and to prepare for almost certain surgery and chemo for the cancer.

I am just so torn apart on what to do. I said screw the expense years ago (as I am sure you all have!), but I always promised Doc I would not make him hang around for me. I do not want to put him through losing more teeth, and most certainly not surgery or chemo. I do not want to have Doc suffer due to his teeth as we all know how much a tooth ache hurts. I also do not want to have him suffer a long battle with cancer. However, with all that said, I believe Doc is still living a happy loving life and I am not ready to consider other options. He maintains his weight, snuggles, purrs, and loves to socialize with guests. In the last few months he has started displaying small bits of temperament and attitude which I have chalked up to just being a grumpy old man.

That’s my story of Doc and my dilemma. Not sure if I am looking for advice, support, or just need to share with a group who will be able to relate.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Can you find out what the anesthesia was last time and ask that another be used?

Is there any cleaning of his teeth that you are able to do?

3. janelle and Nomad

janelle and Nomad Member

I have a twenty year old cat who has lost all of her teeth but still does quite well eating canned food. She was grumby and. lost weight before I had the last of her bad teeth removed but improved after. If you can resolve the problem with the anesthesia he is probablly better off without the bad teeth. I don't know what to tell you about the cancer. Maybe some other readers whose cats have been treated wiith chemotherapy could give you some feedback on that.

4. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

Assuming the pre-surgery blood work doesn't show that he's unsuitable to be put under, you could try to use another drug and attempt the procedures. Even without teeth he could eat moist food just fine and frankly, I'm not really sure any of my cats actually chew any of the kibble they get, so he could probably still gum the dry food ok too.

As for chemo, my mom's cat had it after it had a tumor removed. It wasn't cheap, but it was easy enough to get the pill in the cat every day. It might be possible to get it made into transdermal gel as well, I'm not sure whats available these days with the compounding pharmacies. Her cat didn't suffer any side effects to the chemo, no fur loss or anything. In the end it bought her about 1 year of time until the cancer returned in a more malignant form and she elected not to repeat the surgery and chemo a second time.

As for the unasked question. Having had to put Yittle to sleep this past June at just 2 weeks shy of his 14th birthday and having kicked diabetes ass... I have to say. I will always, always, always choose to take that final step for my beloved companions earlier vs later. We could have pumped him full of fluids, tried to do assisted feedings etc but nothing was going to change the outcome, just the time. I would far rather walk across the Rainbow bridge and say to one of them that I'm sorry that I eased them across a few days or even weeks early, then have to apologize for making them stay one minute too long. As long as you're doing it for them, there is no too early. Just on time, and too late. You know your cat, if you listen to him, you'll know when its time to fight for them, and when its time to take the last step for them.

5. swengert

swengert New Member

I appreciate all the input, words of strength, and advice. Concerning the anesthesia, I have not made up my mind as of yet. I discussed various options with the vet, including a twilight. I have decided to see what the blood work tells us first. I have started a regiment of antibiotics in the interim.

As for the melanoma, after extensive research, I have decided to let the disease run it's course. Because the tumors are almost certainly cancerous, and located in his mouth, I will not opt for surgery. My research has found that in animals, once melanoma is in the mouth the only option is to remove the affected area, including part of the jaw bone. I will NOT make my Doc suffer through that. In addition, melanoma in the mouth has the greatest chance of having started to spread.

My prayers to those who have suffered the loss of a beloved pet (child). And I pray that when the Lord is ready to take my Doc home I will be ready to make that same choice.

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Bad teeth, while the kitty may still be eating ok, CAN affect the whole body negatively.

I also had a kitty with a malignant melanoma -- he had one lump on his shoulder removed in March 2006. Became diabetic in June 2006. Diagnosed with a brain tumor in March 2008 (had it longer but we didn't know -- he had acromegaly, which caused his diabetes). In May 2008, he had intestinal cancer which was inoperable, so we helped him cross the rainbow bridge.

One thing that has not been suggested yet --- I have been using Dawn Allen's animal communications services and been very satisfied with the results. She works over the phone, and can feel if Doc is suffering or not, and if he wants to keep fighting for life or if he is ready to cross the bridge.

I was skeptical at first, but have been pleased with the results of her communicating with my 5 cats - oriented mainly at behavioral and health issues.

The initial consultation is 45 minutes for $60, I believe. Her website is:
    http://www.dawnallen.org/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.