17 July Tucker AMPS: 18.2(328!)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tucker, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tucker

Tucker Member

Shot 5.0. We were in a nice trend of night numbers and now they seem to be gone. He is still super happy and purring and eating like a champ. Today I thought his eyes looked that sort of weird (tired? bit of 3rd eyelid showing) and 'not quite right' that he had the day I brought him in and he was diagnosed. When I gave him a cuddle he popped right out of it, still......it was weird.

+4 Went down to 13.7 (247) so that's good.

2. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

You will want to go to 5.5 at the next dose.

Yes, 13.7 (247) is pretty good. Let's hope 5.5 takes him lower.

Even with Tucker in the low yellows, you are providing his body a relief from diabetes. Once he gets down into the blues, that will give his kidneys a rest too.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tested for ketones at all lately.

4. Tucker

Tucker Member

@Bron and Sheba @JeffJ Little help down under?!
    So our vet rang a little bit ago and said before she increased Tucker to 5.5 she had a couple of questions for me. She did this because I had been saying how HAPPY and NORMAL he has been... Well......she questioned my thing about having trouble getting blood tests from Tucker. That led to talking about the size of the sample I've been able to get (very tiny, very hard to get). She had me go grab a bigger lance and try the test again. His number was 8.2! Then she had me do another test with the other meter we have and it was 7! What do I do now? He is due for his shot in 20 minutes and I'm meeting my daughter for dinner at 6:30.

5. Tucker

Tucker Member

Ok, so the vet rang me back and said to give Tucker dinner. If he eats all of it, then I shoot. If he doesn't, I hold the shot for an hour and retest. Feed him when he eats. If he eats part of his dinner I give him a half dose then test at midnight, go back to full dose (but don't increase it) tomorrow morning.

JeffJ likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Wow! Well that changes things.
    Fantastic news really.
    Don't increase the dose!
    Are you going to be able to test tonight or are you going to be out for a while

7. Tucker

Tucker Member

I'm have to leave now, my husband is going to be home all night. I'll be back in 3 hours and can test when I get back?

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If Tucker eats well and your husband can test til you get back, then I would give him the 5 units. But don't increase the dose at all at this point. You will need to test tonight to see how low it is taking him. I will stay online to keep an eye on you. Tell DH to post the tests or put them in the SS please and if he needs me urgently text me and I'll go online....just in case I am offline. Not many people around on the other side of the world at this time of the day here.
    This is good news!

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I'd get a +1 and a +2 ....this is always a good idea when you first shoot a lower number than usual.

10. Tucker

Tucker Member

Got it. Thanks so much! P

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Enjoy your dinner!

12. Tucker

Tucker Member

+4 was 9.1

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That’s good.
    Are you up to getting another one in a couple hours?

14. Tucker

Tucker Member

I'll do whatever I need to do for him. So do one at midnight? You can go to bed if you want! Just tell me what to do if it is higher than 9.1 and what to do if it is lower? Thanks, Bron!

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If it is higher there is nothing you can do. Just record it.
    If it is lower by a lot, then I would get another test an hour later.
    You don’t have to do anything unless you drop below 3 and then I would give a little high carb food or a drop of honey to bring him up higher. Then test 20 mins later to check the BSL is coming up.
    Honey only lasts a bit over an hour to hour and half so you would need to test again to check Tucker is not dropping again.
    The US is waking up now so if you are concerned just post and ask for help.

He will probably be fine but I think another test will give us more info.
    Well done Tucker!!!!
    And Mum and Dad! And also the vet for picking up on the small amounts of blood. I don’t recall you mentioning that at all.
    So pleased to see these blue numbers. Will be interesting to see the AMPS tomorrow.

16. Tucker

Tucker Member

Got it! Thanks so much, Bron. I'll follow these guidelines. I am also guessing that Jeff will be awake in a bit and he'll follow through with me if you get some sleep! You guys are the best!

17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Only too happy to help.
    See you tomorrow.
    Message to Tucker........try your hardest not to bounce after these lovely blues!
    I'm off to zzzzzzz

JeffJ likes this.
  18. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

It was 3am when these last posts happened! I'm glad your vet and Bron is so helpful. You did the right thing.

If Tucker is low in the future at dose time, and still low an hour later, then skip the dose. If you read the TR and SLGS protocols, many people try to keep their kittehs hovering around 5.5 (US 100). I do not do that because Leo is not stable. So with Tucker, we will have to see if he becomes stable. Or if he becomes a bouncy boy like Leo.

This is good news that Tucker surfed a nice blue range.

Tucker likes this.
  19. Tucker

Tucker Member

Anddd at +6 Tucker was 11.0

20. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

The rise back to 11.0 is a natural rise back to the yellow region. It also reinforces why you had to withhold the dose. It was nice to see two BG tests after PMPS, to show that mini-pattern.

We are all hoping this is the breakthru dosage and that Tucker will start dipping into the blues to establish a pattern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.