17 June Tucker PMPS 16.1 (290) Discouraged but trying...

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tucker, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tucker

Tucker Member

I've tried to reach out because I want what is best for my boy, but I fully admit I am NOT computer savvy and have never been a part of an online group like this before. Please don't judge me or scold me if I am not sure how to link posts or work the message board, at the moment all of my energy is being spent on trying to stay afloat. My vet uses the Aussie numbers and our pen is in Aussie units but I've been trying to also put the BG results in USA numbers as well. I am overwhelmed and upset, but I am trying. I'm sorry if I've messed up my posts, forgive my ignorance.

JeffJ likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/tucker-amps-16-9-6-15-3.196949/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/pmps-17-9-3-units.197001/
    These are your last 2 posts Patty.
    I am so sorry you are upset.
    You are doing great. It is very overwhelming in the beginning....there is so much to learn and get your head around. And if you are not computer savvy it is so much harder. I had to get help with my SS twice to get it up and running so I know how frustrating it can be.
    Hang in there. You and DH are doing a really good job helping Tucker get regulated.
    Everyone knows how hard and stressful it is in the beginning
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

JeffJ likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Don't despair! You have already accomplished so much, and we understand where your focus is and has been. I don't think anyone considers you ignorant, just unfamiliar and there's a huge difference there. I didn't know how to properly link until just recently, and I have been using computers for years! So, don't be so hard on yourself. Plus, was not able to even set up the spreadsheet by myself. Everything, including this, is a learning process. We all may not be in the same time zone and be able to message real time, or use the same measurement system, but we all support you, DH and Tucker! XXXXOOOOO

JeffJ likes this.
  4. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Try and not be discouraged :bighug:. We have all been where you are. You are doing great. ANYTHING is better than nothing. ;) And you are doing it. I don't think you have to "enter" The US numbers if you are putting your meter numbers in the WORLD SS. I think they auto populate (and convert). I may be mistaken.

What are you concerned about right now? What would help you the most? Tuckers numbers are high(er) but not too bad. You are getting a good sampling of data (tests). Are you following TR or SLGS?

Love the comments on the SS about the behavior for Tucker the past couple of days. We have a saying here.. they are more than their numbers. Another is.. this is a marathon, not a sprint.

JeffJ likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Feline diabetes is hard on the caregivers too. :bighug: I wouldn't have made it without the support of the people here. Feel free to rant, ask questions, show your frustrations. Helping people help their cats is also important. :bighug::bighug:

I do read Aussie numbers, not because I am from there, but am in Canada. You don't need to enter the US numbers, they do automatically populate. You can pop over to the US tab to pick up the converted numbers. What I do see and like on the spreadsheet is that I am seeing a little more yellow, a little less pink. All good progress.:)

JeffJ and LizzieInTexas like this.
  6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Patty --

You are doing great! There isn't a person here who hasn't been overwhelmed at the start of their managing their cat's diabetes. I have no doubt that if you think about where you were at day 1, some things about this adventure have gotten easier. It is truly a steep learning curve.

What I see is you've mastered testing, you've mastered the spreadsheet, and you are increasing Tucker's dose systematically. Like Wendy observed, you're seeing more yellow than pink.. These are all good things! Managing your cat's diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint. Please don't expect a miracle overnight nor should you think you're doing something wrong if there's not a big shift in Tucker's numbers. Slow and steady progress is good!

JeffJ likes this.
  7. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Hi Patty - you are doing great. I've been helping since you started, and others are helping too.

I am still hopeful that the 3.25 or 3.5 unit dose will start to have a good effect on Tucker's nadir. You are getting there.

The online forum format can be challenging. Even the spreadsheet. You have done a great job on testing and keeping up the spreadsheet. Keep up the good work, and give Tucker a couple of rubs for me.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

How are you and Tucker this morning? :bighug:

9. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome..........we all get frustrated, myself included as this is round 2 of the rodeo Davidson is on and just when you think it's all over and you have your life back, BANG, 4 yrs later and he's back on insulin. Damn tooth infection, haha.........but it is what it is and everyone here is available at times to help and answer questions, guide you or support you.........it's never easy, but we're all here for the same reason - our loved kitties!!

10. Tucker

Tucker Member

I'll just leave this here because I have no numbers or cat to make a new post about. This morning an insurance crew showed up at my house at 6:30 with ladders and heavy equipment and lots of noise. My daughter opened the door (they were expected at 8am on Wednesday) and Tucker freaked out and ran outside and nobody was able to catch him. I've spent the last 6 hours trying to find him. He has had no insulin or food for 18 hours now. I have NEVER had him freak out and run away like this before so I'm beyond frantic. If I wasn't feeling like the worst cat momma in the world yesterday, I am now. It's very cold and wet outside and I keep envisioning him hiding someplace down by the creek trying to keep warm....

JeffJ likes this.
  11. Idjit's mom

Sweetheart, I am so sorry. Chances are he's not that far away, and hopefully he's going to find his way home, or you are going to find him. Keep looking, let all your neighbors know, he might be hiding in a garage, shed close by. Very strong hugs!

JeffJ likes this.
  12. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I am so sorry.

They usually go into hiding. Keep going outside. Clink his bowls. Make sure he knows you are there and he can come in.

We lost Scoobs for 5 days (2016). I went door to door. I went in all the backyards, after getting permission. I found him. He ran. Then I stayed in the front yard every 15 minutes. He came home. He was scared and hungry.

Tucker will be fine. He will be hungry.

If one extra day passes. Make signs. Give them in person to all neighbors. Post them. He will be home soon.:bighug::bighug:

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Oh my goodness, Patty I am so sorry this is happening. I'm sure you must feel you are in the middle of a nightmare!:bighug:
    But as the others say, keep looking and calling out for him.
    Take some food and put it down somewhere and see if he comes. If he hasn't eaten for 18 hours he will be hungry so put out his favourite food and hopefully he will come out to eat it. He is probably hiding somewhere.
    Please keep us updated.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

JeffJ likes this.
  14. Tucker

Tucker Member

My husband just found him hiding in the creek across the road from our house....not a safe place for him to be! He is wet and cold and very hungry but he is home. I just did a blood test and it was 15.4. Kurt thinks we should hold him at 3 for this dose and increase to 3.25 in the morning so as to not do anything new when he has had this stressful day. What do you think??

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thank goodness he has been found! You must be SO relieved! I know I am!
    Yes I would stay with the current dose tonight and swap to the 3.25 in the morning

JeffJ likes this.
  16. Tucker

Tucker Member

SO relieved and crying when I saw how scared and cold and wet he was. He's had food and is wrapped up all warm and cozy inside. I can't believe he would have heard me and not come for all of those hours. I'm going to tell him to go ahead and shoot 3 and we'll start fresh with 3.25 in the morning. Thanks for caring everyone, I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

17. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Oh, sweetie - what a horrifying experience. I think you just lived most of our worst fear! I know it is for me. Thank the heavens you found him and he is now tested, fed and shot and snuggled in for warmth! I think it was wise to hold the dose, give everyone a bit to calm down and get some much needed rest. :bighug::bighug: Be gentle with yourself and Tucker (and hubby) today.

Tucker likes this.
  18. Tucker

Tucker Member

Can I just say something to anyone who happens upon this convo and reads this? Words can hurt and be discouraging or words can heal and give so much comfort. Bron, Jeff J, Idjits Mom, I don't know what I would do if you had not reached out to me when I first asked for help. LizzieinTexas? I feel like I just got a hug from Texas-you will never know how much your little message means to me. Thank you, thank you. I'm seriously struggling and your kindness is so appreciated and your knowledge and willingness to help is humbling. Bless your little cotton socks....thank you.

19. Idjit's mom

I am so glad to read this! I was so tired and had to go to bed, but didn't rest well, tossed and turned. I think I was searching for Tucker in Australia. I am so darned happy he was found. Rest well all, the whole family, and get through and over the upset. Kisses and hugs to little Tuck.

20. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Hugs to you from hot-as-heck Austin TX :bighug: Maybe that will help Tucker get dry.:bighug:

It is scary enough to have a newly diagnosed diabetic kitteh. I am glad you found him and he is safe again. We get attached to our remote-kittehs here in the forum. When you hurt, we do too.

You did the right thing to hold the dose. You can make an adjustment on the next dose.

We had Delilah run away in 1995. She was gone for 6 days. A neighbor heard her crying in the drainage system 1 block away, which opens into the normally-dry creek behind our house. We unbolted the man-cover and we were able to lure her out with TUNA! She got IV fluids and a bunch of food for recovery. If we had not posted signs and told neighbors, we never would have found her. She was a good kitteh.

21. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thank goodness Tucker is home! I'd be frantic. Hopefully, Tucker will not think an open door is an invitation to go outside again.

22. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

So Glad Tucker is home! How is he doing today?

beggargirl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.