17 YO cat just diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ladybuggs, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ladybuggs

ladybuggs New Member

Hello,
    My 17 year old cat (Peanut) just became diagnosed with diabetes, the has had a Thyroid problem and been on med's for about 2 years. Now diabetes; the vet indicated her blood sugar was "really" high, however I didn't get the medical details. We reviewed the treatment steps and now I need to decide how to proceed.

My vet doesn't have any hands-on stories about cats that are already 17 who just get diagnosed, he typically sees cats in "middle age" (8-11) and believes they have a good chance of living well on insulin. Although I know no-one can answer the ultimate question but me, I'm curious if there are others out there who had their geriatric cats (17+) get diagnosed and how they did. I'm concerned that this will just bring a fair amount of trauma to her life, she is very arthritic and no longer grooms herself. Poor girl is just old! All kinds of thoughts go through my head, and what is most important to me is her being comfortable and happy. I'm concerned this is just a prelude to something else at this age and don't want to go through all of this with her (not because of me, but because of her)....

Thoughts? Stories?
    Thank you,
    Lori

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

My Mario was 15 when he was dx'd with diabetes (I really adopted him from someone who did not want to treat). Shorlty thereafter he was dx's with lymphoma. I treated both but the lymphoma finally got him over two years later. Treating diabetes with insulin and a low-carb diet is easy and would treat a 17 year old.

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Lori, in reality you really only have 2 options........treat or let Peanut die from untreated diabetes. It truly is easy to do...just some time on your part learning......hometesting is one of the most important things you can learn along with switching to canned cat food only if Peanut is eating only dry. Please come back and post what insulin vet wants to start Peanut on, the dose, etc. and you will get all the help you need.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

My cat Witn was 17 when she was diagnosed. I treated her diabetes for almost 3 years before she passed away. When she passed, it was due to causes because of her old age, not the diabetes.

Treating diabetes is very managable with the proper diet and insulin. Treating her may give you several more years with her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.