18/06 - Champagne update - OTJ, food and other things

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Champoux, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Champoux

Champoux Member

Hey everyone ! Sorry it's been a while since I posted, things have been quite busy on my side.

So after nearly a whole month without insulin, Champagne is officially OTJ. I meant to start a thread on the traditional 14 days mark, but he was still recovering from his dental surgery, I had other stuff going on IRL and I ended up forgetting to do it. Then it seemed weird just to celebrate a random number like "Yay 17 days without insulin, woo !" :D

I wanted to thank you all for your support, I'm 100% sure Champagne wouldn't be OTJ right now if it wasn't for your help ! Following my vet's advice I'd still be on 2u SID with Champagne casually bouncing from blue to black ;)

So now to other general news : Champagne's appetite has been fluctuating a lot, so is his PD/PU. I'm trying to find a pattern between the two, but it looks like they're independent. Champagne eats every 2-3 hours or so and his usual food spikes lead him into the middle blues (7.0 - 8.7 mmol/L / 126-157 mg/dl) while his fasting BG hangs around late greens/early blues (4.8 - 5.6 mmol/L / 86 - 101 mg/dl). His most common numbers so far are between 6.0 and 6.8 mmol/L (108 - 122 mg/dl) which he usually gets between meals.

I am aware that canned M/D is still too high in carbs for him and I have been actively looking for other options since his original diagnosis. It seems every time I find some low-carb/low phosphorus canned food, it doesn't sell or doesn't even ship to where I live. It is incredibly frustrating, to the point I am now considering making my own cat food. I even started putting up a chart which compares the phosphorus/protein/fat/carb/calorie content of various cooked and raw meats. It also looks like M/D is too poor in calories for his needs. He can barely eat 1 can per day while he'd have to eat two to get all his calories in. Hopefully having a homemade diet denser in calories would help.

Champagne's mouth is healing well, though he seems to be having some sort of allergic reaction. He is scratching himself a lot around the neck and side of mouth and sneezing a bit more than usual. I don't know yet if food is to blame or if it is an environmental trigger. He's had asthma his whole life and there's lots of pollen out at this time of the year.

I have a vet appointment scheduled next week to find out what this allergy could be. I'll also ask for some blood/urine tests to get some news about his kidney values/phosphorus levels and hopefully find out what is causing his PD/PU swings.

Thanks again to all of you for your help, support and kind encouragements :) !

Squalliesmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.