1cc and 3cc U40 syringes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gracie'smom, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gracie'smom

Gracie'smom Member

I just want to confirm that (e.g) 2 units in a 3cc syringe is the same as 2 units in a 1cc syringe. My vet keeps switching the syringes they sell me and it's bugging me out a bit as the same units always seem different. They were not very helpful answering questions.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If both syringe sizes are for U-40, then yes, 2 units is 2 units.
    You can purchase them online from ADW. Depending on the state in the US, you may need a prescription.
    Also, you can use a conversion chart and use U-100 syringes for a U-40 insulin as follows.
    U-100 means 100 units per mL
    U-40 means. 40 units per mL, or 40% of the concentration of U-100
    Multiply the tick marks by 0.4 to adjust the number to 40% of what is indicated, and that is the U-40 dose
    Ex
    0.4 * 0.5 tick = 0.2 units of U-40
    0.4 * 1.0 tick = 0.4 units of U-40
    0.4 * 1.5 tick = 0.6 units of U-40
    0.4 * 2.0 tick = 0.8 units of U-40
    0.4 * 2.5 tick = 2.0 units of U-40

3. Gracie'smom

Gracie'smom Member

Just asking about U40's.... do you guys have some kind of competition for the most "helpfulness" or "knowledge?"

Libby and Lucy likes this.
  4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Sorry, didn't realize both those posts were you. Just wanted you to know the option was available. Sometimes, options help folks save on the costs of feline diabetes care.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You said " 2 units in a 3cc syringe is the same as 2 units in a 1cc syringe" and "1 cc and 3 cc U40 syringes".
    I do not understan what yo are saying. I Am not aware of any 3 cc U40 syringes. I have seen 1/2 cc and 1/3 cc U40 syringes. There might be 1 cc Uro syringes too. In any even one unit on any U40 syringe is one unit.

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

I think maybe there's just a decimal point missing, since there are .3cc U40 syringes...?
    http://www.1800petmeds.com/U 40 Syringes for ProZinc Vetsulin Insulin-prod10725.html

It can be quite unnerving measuring insulin in different sized syringes. It looks so different. I remember drawing water up into the syringes and then squeezing it out onto absorbent paper (to see how much it spread), just so I could see it was actually the same amount....:rolleyes:

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.