1st attempt at testing Puckett

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mdelisle, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdelisle

mdelisle Member

Ack ... my first attempt at testing Puckett was a disaster. He was so not cooperating. I was trying to do it just before his injection and that was a mistake I think. He was used to a specific routine with the injection and the minute I touched his ear he went ballistic. I tried twice and couldn't draw blood so quit before he got too uptight. He came into the living room with me last night where he let me rub his ears so I may try doing it when he's relaxed and on the couch ... at least until he gets used to it and knows (like the injection) that it really doesn't hurt all that much. He was even skittish this morning about getting his injection on the counter because he was expecting me to do something to his ear. But he got his injection and nothing terrible happened so all is quiet here at the moment.

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Most people have a bit of a disaster the first time! You just need to work on your timing and routine, so don't stress it too much!

3. mdelisle

mdelisle Member

Thanks Jen. I should have known better than to try it right before the injection given that it took me so long to get him relaxed about the injections. But I really wanted to know what his BG was pre-shot since he's been on the insulin for a month. Thankfully it didn't stress me as much as him. And I'm glad he came up and laid with me on the couch last night after the incident.

Give Squeak scritches from me and the Camp Happy Cat gang :)

4. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

My first attempt and many after with Do Lou were complete failures and I gave up so just keep trying I wish I had it took me almost 3 months to realize I needed to try this once again and after persisting Do Lou and I are home-testing :mrgreen: Did you watch any of the you tube videos that the board has posted?? Good luck with Puckett

5. mdelisle

mdelisle Member

Lisa ... it's not me that's the problem it's my Puckett. I'm a former vet tech and currently do pet sitting and have clients with diabetic cats that I test. Plus I'm a diabetic myself and test on a regular basis. Puckett has always been my problem child although almost all of my cats are former feral rescues and they're skittish to say the least. It's taken a month just to get Puckett really relaxed about the injections so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he got upset about the ear prick. My vet has told me that given that Puckett is doing so well on such a low dose of insulin that I can take my time getting him used to the idea of testing. She knows with my background I'll notice the most minute change in his behavior. In fact, when I originally took him in I told my vet I thought he was diabetic and she didn't think so because he wasn't flooding the litter box and wasn't consuming enough water. Well, he was peeing more than the other kitties (just not flooding the litterbox) and he was drinking more than usual. And he'd lost weight and was having mobility issues. I just knew he was diabetic and when the tests came back showing that he was my vet was floored that I was able to see such minute changes and realize that he was diabetic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.