1st Curve Tomorrow UPDATE

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Angie & Millhouse, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

I'm all ready to go, have a new ReliOn Premier that I did a test with tonight (325). My question is this: I'm slowly weaning off the dry SO. They get 1/8 cup every 4 hours to split between the three of them (Millhouse eats the most) in addition to 6 oz of wet FF pate/roasted (a little Weruva sometimes) mixed with chicken bone broth 3x a day. For the curve, should I remove the SO, since I plan to be done with that in about a week or so? Or keep everything the same?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I would suggest you keep everything the same because you want to know how he's doing right now if you are getting him off the dry food you should monitor him closely even if you do the curve tomorrow because he may need a dose adjustment further down the road (or down the week depending on how he responds to the food change )and you will be doing curves periodically (Once every week if you are following the start low go slow protocol)

Any way have you decided which protocol you are going to follow?

I also suggest you set up the spreasheet that way you can start recording all your results tomorow as you get them and it would be more easy this are the instrutions http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

3. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

At this point, after reading about the two protocols and knowing my limitations regarding my work schedule, it will be slgs. I want to try to test each morning and for the next month or so, a curve each weekend. I've started his spreadsheet and entered his last two labs and the BG from the vet "curve".

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. Please get a night test before feeding as well and a before bed test whenever possible. Many cats drop at night. Max was real good at that.

5. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

The curve is completed (I plan to do one more more before bed). I have the data, but I don't really know what it means. He's been on the same dose for three weeks now, so it seems like it's not quite doing the trick?

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The problem with only doing curves once a week is that you only get a snapshot of one day, one cycle.

If (for example) Millhouse had dropped a lot lower yesterday, the higher numbers you got today could indicate he's bouncing.

If you can start getting both Pre-shot tests in and at least 1-2 other tests in every day, it will help (you may have to adjust your shot times to get a couple of tests on the PM cycle if you can't get them during the day)

We all understand the problem of having to work full time and not being able to test as much as we'd like though. Have you read the sticky on "is TR possible with a full time job"? Even if you're doing SLGS, there are some good ideas in it

tiffmaxee likes this.
  7. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Good job getting the curve!!

By looking at your curve, he did needed the dose increase but we usually do increases in 0.25units 0.5 can sometimes be a very big increase, tonight is going to be the fourth cycle (12 hour period) on 2.5 so the depot is probably totally formed and he may go a bit lower than the other days so try and get at least a test at +2 (two hours after you shoot) before you go to bed to make sure he isn't going too low.

That being said I totally get that is really hard to get mid day tests with a full time job ( I work full time ) so get extra tests whenever you can (at night during or the weekend on the day you are not doing the curve on a day that you do not work, etc) but the tests you can't never skip are the pre shoot tests to make sure is safe to give insulin, specially in the mornings when you are going to be out all day odds are you may have to skip his insulin shot once in a while but safety first.

Getting a time feeder would help also to make sure he has something to eat during the day and that he does not eat anything 2 hours previous to his night preshoot test

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.