1st day of Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Olive & Paula, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/10-3-smokey-amps-537-3-323.145325/

Well we started today. His AMPS was 537. So I went against the vet and started with 1.5u. I posted on Lantus site but he shows at the bottom of the list. I got the 1/2u syringes. The needle is so short. Smokey has thick fuzzy long hair. I might have to shave a spot so I know I'm getting the short needle in. Cooking his next batch of chicken now while cleaning baseboard heaters. I have got to turn on the heat 40* degrees this morning.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Good luck with the switch, Paula. I had to shave a patch on Colin too, it does help.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Or try using a comb to part the hair?

4. Olive & Paula

I'll try comb first.

5. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

I know it takes a few days for the Lantus depot to build up so don't worry if he doesn't have great numbers for the first few days. You won't know how the Lantus is really affecting him for a couple of days. And be sure to do some +4, +6 and +8 tests for the days you're home so you can determine when he hits his nadir (the lowest point in the cycle) and what his nadir is on this dose. You figure out Lantus doses based on how low it takes them (you probably already know this). Good luck and keep us posted with how it goes!

6. Olive & Paula

I'm going to do those tests tomorrow.

granadilla likes this.
  7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

As with ProZinc, the nadir can move around. Doing a curve and testing every 2 hours will give you a general idea of when he is most likely around his nadir. For Lantus, the evaluation for dose adjustment needs a minimum of 2 full days if doing Tight Regulation and using the fast track rules if there are high mid-cycle test, 3-5 full days otherwise. If using Start Low, Go Slow, you hold the dose a full week and then get a curve. (I'm on my phone, so I can't see your spreadsheet to know what his test have been)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.