1st time!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jillmerg, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jillmerg

jillmerg Member

I'm going to attempt to get a glucose level before Princess' pm shot ! I'm so nervous. Wish me luck !

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Just keep calm. Take a deep breath and remember to give her a treat when done... you'll be fine.

3. jillmerg

jillmerg Member

Thanks for the support, but it was an epic fail! To close to dinner time & she was not having it! I'll try again later when she's half asleep & wants her ears rubbed instead of being a ravenous beast demanding her food!

4. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

It does get easier. Try giving a treat after the poke. Good luck, we've all been there. It's great you are learning to do.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Learning to test can be nerve-wracking for us beans, too. Remember to give yourself a treat!. :)

Marciegee likes this.
  6. CHenry

CHenry New Member

What kind of treats can you give? I am in the same boat, too scared to do the first blood glucose level test. Molly is not ever patient and she will spaz out I'm sure. She did fine at the vet but she is scared there so is calm.

I did give the very first prozinc shot today though so that is something I guess. The shot requires less coordinated effort. I'm terrified she will go hypoglycemic but we started her on a very small dose so I hope it is unlikely.

Keep us updated jillmerg. So glad to not feel so alone in all this! Thank you to all the pros out there supporting us newcomers!

7. jillmerg

jillmerg Member

Good question! What treats are ok to give ? She's eating when I give the insulin so she doesn't even pay attention to what I'm doing. Hopefully she'll be the same way with the meter.

8. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

There are freeze dried chicken treats by Halo and Pure Bites. I got my Pure Bites at Petco.

9. Fiona and Sasha

Fiona and Sasha Member

LOL, I love that!

I remember when I used to test myself that sometimes it was easy and some days it wasn't, so I suppose there is no reason why we wouldn't have that with our furries. Good luck, Milo's mommy and Courtney. We can only get better at it :D

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

Hannah loves Halo Liv-a-Little Treats. She comes running when I say, "Treats" and start shaking the canister. Her favorite flavor is beef. They are somewhat large chunks, so I cut or tear them into kitty-size pieces. Also, they are 100% beef... no other ingredients. We get them at Chewy.com, as their shipping is really, really fast and their customer service is wonderful. They offer free 1-2 day shipping on orders of $49 or more. We also order her Fancy Feast Classics (24 in a case), there, as they're cheaper than our local Walmart.

Best of luck with the ear pricks. They really do get easier. If Princess likes to be petted, complimented, and scratched under her chin, testing is a good time to do lots of that... followed by a treat, of course. :cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. jane and stewey

jane and stewey Member

I have found that my cat does better if I do not restrain her tightly. I use a baby sock filled with rice which I warm in the microwave. I hold that to her ear and that dilates the capillaries well so that she blleds easily. After applying pressure to the site after pricking, I apply a bit of vaseline...it keeps her ears soft and free from soreness. When I start setting up the supplies for her blood suger test, she comes running. It has just become part of her daily routine. Good luck from jane and stewey

12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

That's absolutely the right way to look at it. Instead of seeing a time when you don't get a blood sample, look at it as part of learning what does and doesn't work for your kitty. Everything you learn - even if it's learning what causes a negative reaction - is a successful step towards working out the right routine for both of you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.