2/10 Need food suggestions for finicky diabetes kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Linda and Tasha, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

My finicky cat prior to being dxd with diabetes only ate Friskies (1/2 can) shredded with gravy flavors (no beef or meat) fish and turkey and chicken flavors along with 1/3 C of Purina indoor dry. Even then she usually didn't finish her food. I am having real trouble getting her to eat the LC can food. I have been sticking with Friskies and mixing a drop of water and microwaving to make "gravy" but she doesn't seem to like the consistency. I have 6 flavors. She will not eat real shrimp unless it has some kind of gravy on it. Does anyone know of something with gravy or sauce that is LC that has a consistency similar to Friskies shredded? She eats so little in general even prior to being dxd. I really need to find something she likes. I tried FF (green lable) some years ago and she got diarrhea from it, so I am not inclined to go with FF.
    Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Anything with gravy will be considered a high carb food, as the gravy itself is high carb.

If you are looking to "make gravy", you may want to try adding soup broth instead of water, while it won't make gravy per se, it will provide the liquid needed to gravielike the food and since it's soup broth, will be flavored hopefully to the cat's liking.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Tasha needs to eat. For some cats, it can take months to transition them to a diabetic appropriate diet. This is Dr. Lisa's page on transitioning from dry to wet. http://catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_F ... nned_Food_ Read it, thinking transitioning from one type of wet to another type of wet. Go slow, mixing the new with the old in increasing proportions.

4. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

There is LC food with gravy - it's Friskies pouches - all the pouch food is 10-11 carbs. I buy the box of poultry pouches and there is a seafood one too.

Also here are some Friskies canned choices:

Friskies fine cuts in gravy or sauce - all 9 carbs:
    chicken in gravy, ocean white fish and tuna in sauce, tuna in sauce.

Flaked:
    tuna and egg in sauce - 5 carbs
    tuna in sauce - 6 carbs

Tender cuts:
    Chicken and Salmon in gravy- 9 carbs

Senior pacific salmon dinner in sauce- - 9 carbs
    Senio savory beef dinner in gravy-9 carbs

5. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

Those are the very ones she isn't eating except I didn't buy the beef she hates beef. I haven't tried the pouches, but they are all 10-11% carbs not very different from the 12% of the shredded.
    Aren't the fine cuts in pouches too? Haven't tried those. Maybe I will give those a try. at 9% still a little high no?

6. Traci and Boomer

Other LC food with gravy-

9 Lives-flaked tuna in sauce-2 carbs

PetSmart Brand Sophisticat small cans: all the "sliced" varieties seem to have gravy:
    Sliced chicken hearts and liver dinner: 8 carbs
    Sliced duck w wild rice - 8 carbs
    slices salmon and chicken dinner-10 carbs
    sliced turkey dinner-10 carbs
    (ALL other sliced - over 10)

Sophisicat BIG can:
    Beef stew - 4 carbs
    Slices tuna dinner in sauce-10 carbs

I've made my own list of foods taken from Janet's list because I only buy Friskies, 9-Lives, FF and Sophisitcat. It's easier for me to read in the store.

7. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

Are these values not % of carbs per 100 calories not actual grams of carbs? That makes a big difference. 9 grams of carbs is nothing but 9% may be a lot more.

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Hillary, what do you consider high carb? J & B chart list several foods that have sauce and gravy that have less than 10% carbs. Senior savory beef dinner in gravy has 9% carbs as does Fine Cuts with Chicken and Gravy as do some others.

9. Traci and Boomer

I've taken these foods directly from Janet's food charts which you can find here on the board along with the explanation of how it was calculated which is % of carbs. I've given them to you so you don't need to search through pages of lists. I thought you'd be happy to have more choices????

10. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

Thanks. I have seen that list, but I have not had success with my cat. I guess I need to branch out from Friskies brand. That has been the only thing she would eat in her 11 1/2 years.

11. Traci and Boomer

Some other things that have helped me when Boomer was picky is adding things on top of food. The best thing BY FAR I have found to get him to eat is FortiFlora. Have you heard of it? I got mine at the vet and it comes in packets. It's actvive cultures if I understand correctly (like what's in yogurt) but the key is that cats like the taste.

Other ideas that have worked for me:

Chicken juice poured on food
    deli meat
    parmesan cheese
    Nutritional Yeast (bought at Whole Foods-it's in a large canister and I sprinkle it on his food and he loves it)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.