2/10 Sabian (PZI 1.5u) AM-304 +2-217 +6-34 PMPS-307

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by patrick_777, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrick_777

patrick_777 Member

Drew a 304 this morning before breakfast.

Attached Files:

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 2/10 Sabian (PZI 1.5u) AMPS-304

So your fur shot wasn't a disaster. The 1.5 should get you some good numbers today.

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Re: 2/10 Sabian (PZI 1.5u) AMPS-304

Patrick, you are doing a fantastic job of dealing with FD :thumbup

Two things I want to mention that everyone should always remember......

1. If you even think you gave a fur shot....never shoot again. It happens to all of us no matter how many years we've been shooting, it does happen. Apparently she did get insulin into her last night....how much no one knows.

You wrote
    2. Never even try to predict what a cat is doing. Always test before shooting otherwise why even have a meter. IMHO every day is a new day no matter the years being treated.

I love the shots of Sabian you post every day....great pictures.

4. patrick_777

patrick_777 Member

2/10 Sabian (PZI 1.5u) AMPS-304 +2-217 +6-34 SUPER LOW!

OK, I just took a +6 reading on her using three different tests within a grouping of 5 minutes.

32, 33 and 37. I tested myself and got a 90, which is pretty normal for me.

She's not showing any hypo symptoms, but that low of numbers is very worrying to me. She's been sleeping most of the morning since her +2 which was 217.

I'm feeding her about 1/4 cup of DM dry food right now and thinking about dosing her with some sugar water.

Advice!!??

5. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Re: 2/10 Sabian (PZI 1.5u) AMPS-304 +2-217 +6-34 SUPER LOW!

Patrick,please feed 1~2 tsp only of h igh carb wet food (not dry). Mix karo with low carb, if you do not have hc. Test in 15 min. Posst number. You need to get her up from 30's.

6. Dale

Dale Member

Re: Help? 2/10 Sabian (PZI 1.5u) AM-304 +2-217 +6-34 SUPER L

Well, this should be an eye opener for your vet!!!

Test every 15 minutes or less. Canned food is better but if you have a couple pieces of dry to give her that just might push her up until the canned can kick in. Dry doesn't last in the system long.

Is your driveway cleaned off? (just kidding) You can handle this. Thank goodness you were testing.

Dale

7. carolynandlatte

The canned food will hit the system quickly. The dry may take hours before it takes effect. You want to get Sabian up now, rather than later. :)

Im at work and may not be able to check in for more than another 15 minutes. I hope others stick around (Dale?).

You are doing great Patrick!

ETA: You also want to feed small bits at a time in order to not fill Sabian up in case she stays low for awhile. Its called lather rinse repeat. Feed (small bits), wait 15 min, test, post. Repeat if needed until you see a few rising or surfing numbers.

8. Dale

Dale Member

I'll be around. And Patrick has my phone number if he needs to talk.

Obviously my cats are different Carolynn. Canned hits them slowly, dry fast. But whatever...ECID. Patrick just needs to get those numbers up. Don't know about Sabian, but mine will get elevated bgs just with a car ride. Wish we'd hear from him.

9. patrick_777

patrick_777 Member

Another reading at 15:05 is 77. I'm less freaking out now.

I gave her a tablespoon of 9L sliced beef in gravy and she had about the same amount of Purina DM kibble.

10. Dale

Dale Member

Thank goodness you responded. Worried, worried, worried you were on the way to the vet.

Maybe that food change is kicking in?

11. carolynandlatte

Im glad she is up. Please keep checking every 15-20 minutes until you see preferably three rising or surfing numbers above 50.

Sounds like Dale has your back, and you have good control over the situation. I will step back and go back to work. Have a great day!

12. patrick_777

patrick_777 Member

I'm not liking the huge dives she's been taking though. This is killing me. I'm kicking myself for not doing the +4 today. She was sleeping and I was working. nailbite_smile

I'm sure the diet change to low-carb is having an effect, but paired with the insulin, maybe it's crashing her numbers too fast.

13. patrick_777

patrick_777 Member

I think we're out of the weeds now. 15:20 reading was 88.

14. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Wow, Patrick. That was a surprise. Looks like you have survived your first hypo! It is good information for you to have that she doesn't have symptoms in the 30s; you will always have to watch her numbers.

Just wanted to say that you did a great job! She certainly went much lower than with that same dose yesterday.....Not too predictable.

And that you shouldn't be surprised if you get a very high number this pm. ECID but some cats bounce way back up from the lows and from the high carbs they got during the day. Come back on before you pmps and get some advice.

15. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

This is where having U100 3/10 cc syringes will come in handy. You wouldn't have to increase by .50 ...you could just do .20.

As for food vs karo vs dry....when in doubt...for a quick fix rub karo then give some dry food.....I use high carb kitty treats.....just a few of them and then I feed the canned. Mishka's last one took treats, 3 cans of FF and finally vanilla ice cream did it. The rest just got her up to 40 before she'd go back down again.

You did great handling it......hope your heart rate has slowed down some.....but like you also learned......keep testing till we are not only up but we stay up. Not every cat will shown signs...some may actually sleep right into one like my (((Baby)))GA did. Thank God I had tried to wake her up and she wouldn't . There was food available to her also so not every cat that is going low will go over and eat. On her second hypo there was also food available to eat but she didn't.....she was going round in circles sniffing. Finding FDMB back in '98 and learning to hometest meant we never had another hypo.

16. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Patrick

While it IS a good thing that you caught that low number, you have to have a life, and you have to be careful about becoming too obsessed. I know I know, we push home testing, etc. but it is possible to over obsess and get caught up in the numbers and forget to have a life.

Just a quiet caution :)

Jen

17. patrick_777

patrick_777 Member

+8 at 16:25 is 299.

Looks like she's rebounding pretty fast.

18. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Good to see her come up from that 34 - This is also a learning experience to see how much medium/higher carb food she needs to get kicked back up!

19. hollyall

hollyall Well-Known Member

So glad Sabian is up! You got my heart racing. Thank goodness she has you. The low carb food dramatically lowered Max's numbers and caught me off guard.

20. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

you have just been PAW'ED. that is "PULLING A WHEEZER". he used to do this to me all the time and he was on 0.05u. still is actually a little more at times too. but he only needs a tsp of raw or LC to bring him up. he is very food sensitive.
    You did a fantastic job patrick. remember when I said once you have it figured out, they will change the rules.
    gonna be high tonight and maybe tomorrow. can shoot through the bounce or lower dose and ride it out.
    sabian seems to be food sensitive also, so smaller portion at a time may work well also.
    JWD

21. patrick_777

patrick_777 Member

She did eat more this morning than the previous mornings. I just filled two ice trays with wet (low carb) food, bagged them and they're in the freezer now. Maybe this can help me control her diet better.

22. patrick_777

patrick_777 Member

What a roller coaster today! She bounced back up to what seems like her normal 300s really fast, but hasn't gone much farther tonight.

PMPS (about 30 minutes before the shot) was 307. After this afternoon, I'm only planning to shoot 1u tonight. With last night's furshot and today's hypo, I need a rest.

23. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That sounds like a plan. Did you get the U100 syringes? I am guessing you will need them soon to fine tune your doses.

24. patrick_777

patrick_777 Member

Not yet. I haven't been out of the house today. Ugh.

25. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like you are becoming a pro super fast! If you don't mind waiting a few days, you can order the syringes from Hocks (if you go there from the ad on this site, the board gets some money)---they ship pretty quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.