2/12/14 Wease Progress with Vetsulin. Daily updates and ques

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NitroViper, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Original freak out and Hi post :) lol http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=113348

After all the help from everyone on the forum I'm on my way to home testing and giving insulin to my little buddy. He is taking it well so far.

I was told to start a new thread with progress, tests and dose questions.

He is currently on his second day at 1 unit of Vetsulin every 12 hours.

Relion Confirm tester.

Spread sheet will be updated everyday.

Wease's Progress Report

If anyone has time to check my spreadsheet and give suggestions if I haven't posted please feel free to post. I cant always test every 2 hours but I will atleast get +6 or +& and pre shots for sure.

Right now im in the process of figuring out Wease's dose. I cant do that alone tho. I'm going to try and keep him tested often to get a good base. I feel terrible about his ears tho!!!!!!!!!!!

I feed him twice a day 10am and 10pm I'm supposed to be giving him 8oz a day for the calories he needs but I haven't done that exactly yet, he is getting about maybe 6.5 oz. I have to figure out a better way of opening 2 cans of wet cat food and giving him a can and a half total a day.

My Favorite buddy!
    [​IMG]

2. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

Suzanne & Cobb(GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 2/12/14 Wease Progress with Vetsulin. Daily updates and

Hey,

You're doing great!

They make tops that fit the top of the bigger cat food cans. That's what I use upstairs when I feed Cobb overnight. I keep it in a plastic sandwich bag in the refrigerator downstairs during the day. You can probably find the tops somewhere like Petsmart.

His ears will look worse than they feel. Do you have some Neosporin with pain relief? It will heal them up quickly. Just be sure to wipe the Neosporin off before you prick to test!

~Suzanne

3. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

He looks none the worse for wear! You're doing great and you don't need to test every 2 hours every day. Some people reserve one day a week when they know they'll be around to run a full "curve" (that's what it's called when you test every 2 hours across a cycle). Others (like myself) try to get enough tests in at different times across the entire week so the curve "completes" itself via fill-in-the-blank. It's whatever suits your schedule the best.

And don't worry. The ears look terrible the first couple of weeks but it eventually clears up. Now, you can't even tell my Mikey gets tested...and I mainly only test him on his right ear!

4. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

If you look at his spreadsheet for the last 2 days I think his numbers are pretty close to the same.

I think if his numbers are around 390 I might try 1.5 units. I don't like him going that high every day.

Would that be ok?

5. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

I know you want to get his numbers down quickly. We all do. But you can't rush it. Give it a few more cycles. Higher numbers are safer in the short run. Numbers that are too low can be deadly, and expensive, and you don't really know how Wease reacts to the insulin just yet, except he had that nice drop yesterday.

Also .5 unit increase when you're at 1 unit is a huge increase. Most of the time it is recommended to do a .25 unit increase. Go slow so you know how your cat reacts.

Other people may have a different opinion because they know your insulin better than I do but I bet most would agree to not increase just yet.

6. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Ok, ill wait. I just want him to be better. I mean he acts perfectly normal expect for his weakened rear legs. I wish I knew how to make them stronger.

Im going to only start testing him 3 times a day. before each shot and at mid cycle. I just cant stand to hurt his ears anymore for now.

7. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I agree on waiting a teeny bit longer before increasing and also second increasing to only 1.25u to start. Depending on how the next couple of cycles go, I'd say tomorrow night might be a good idea for an increase if his nadir/low point remains the same.

Go ahead and give his ears a little break; you've been doing an amazing job with the amount of testing you've been getting in! But make sure you keep getting those pre-shots and mid-cycle tests in so we can see how the dose is working. Within a couple of weeks, his ears will start looking better and won't be as sensitive (angiogenesis) and you'll be an old pro at testing. ;-)

8. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Member

Well done Jason,you are doing a great job,I am not experienced to give you advise,but you might ask the knowledgeable team if Zobaline will help with Weases leg weakness.
    I have just looked at your video of Wease,he is so beautiful,what a wonderful face,give him a big hug from Bailey and me.

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You can freeze some of the food and put it out to thaw. He can nibble the thawed food later in the day.

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Great job Jason, getting tests in. Isn't it good to know that he isn't terribly high or low and not just have to guess?

I'd up the dose to 1.25 the next cycle you can monitor. He is not in a bad range at all, and the Vetsulin is lasting longer than we usually see. There doesn't seem to be a big jump in numbers at +8 or a big drop early in the cycle.. Instead it's a nice smile curve from higher at preshot to lower midcycle to higher again 12 hours later. But he does has room to drop at preshot and midcycle.

This is encouraging news. He may be one of the cats that react well to it.

11. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Thanks everyone. His BG was 334 this amps, that surprised me a little. Ill stay at 1unit. Maybe his body is doing better and his numbers will get a little lower? Then adjust the dose after his body gets use to the insulin?

Im glad im listening to you guys lol.

12. Suzanne & Cobb(GA)

One thing you might notice is that his demeanor improves before his numbers do. Cobb started coming around more and using the litter box less. The numbers are only a small part of the whole cat.

Great news on the lower AMPS!

13. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning you stinkin' cute funny face kitty!

Hi Jason! Sure is a lot calmer around your house today than a couple of days ago huh!!

14. Jen&Eddie

Jen&Eddie Well-Known Member

I hope you will post a picture with each daily update. :D Wease is ridiculously cute!

15. jacereske

jacereske Member

Hi Jason, I can totally relate to your original freak out post - I posted mine on Monday. You sound much calmer and confident now and I hope that Wease is doing well today. My husband and I are pretty much in the same place you are, getting the hang of all of this. Testing, shots, understanding the disease - it is a lot to deal with in addition to being upset that our furkid is so sick. I know that Monday when I joined this board I was bottoming out from all of the stress but these great folks are helping me get it together too.

I believe I read that you live in San Francisco? We do too. Have you found a vet you like here in the city?

Best wishes and Evie sends Wease a gentle headbonk.
    Jeanette

16. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

I live in upstate NY :)

Wease's BG is at 305 pm pre shot. That's by far the lowest ive seen so far.

Does this mean a good thing or does it mean its going to be an issue?

Is it from his diet change since last Saturday?

This is what Wease looks like after he forces his way onto my lap when Im working and there is no room for him haha.

[​IMG]

17. jacereske

jacereske Member

Sorry about that - I thought you were on the Left Coast. :smile:

I am still too new to answer your question but I'm sure someone more experienced will. I'm trying to figure out these darn numbers myself!

18. Jen&Eddie

Love that picture! Wease is like, "Ok Dad. Stop paying attention to the computer and pay attention to me now."

19. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

I think it's Napa and Ellie (ebuckley) who also live up in NorCal.

That's a good thing! No need to do anything differently just yet. I'm maybe hold the 1u another day and keep getting those mid-cycle tests in. It could be from the diet change or from the insulin helping bring his numbers down or a little of both. It's a good sign, though. ;-)

20. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

His PM preshot was 305 like mentioned before. I just tested him +4 now its 320? How would it go up?

I been feeding him the exact amount at the exact time every day with no change.

My +4 readings have always been lower than my pre shots for except this time.

**EDIT at +6 he is at 204. His readings have been pretty consistent. He has been on full 3 days now. Should I raise the dose tomorrow morning if his numbers are from 350-398? maybe 1.25? even. There is no half markings or .25 markings but I I can eyeball it probably.

:(

What kind of treats that are good for him in a bag that I can give him? I need to find some for after I check his blood so he knows he will get one after.

I use to give him temptations a lot, he loves those things but they are probably terrible.

21. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would increase to 1 1/4 units twice daily.

22. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Member

Hi Jason,
    You are right about temptations,I have heard them being referred to as kitty crack!!! Definitely a NO NO .Bailey loved them too,but now he has to be satisfied with freeze dried chicken treats,or you could cook some fresh chicken, let it cool and dice it up into bite size pieces, handy to keep in the fridge.I give B a few prawns too.Did you check out Zobaline for Weases leg weakness problem?

23. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

His AMPS was 274, I never expected it that low so kind of excited for him.

I did raise the dose to 1.25 tho. Its REALLY hard to eyeball that tiny thing, especially when there is no 1/2 markings. So my 1.25 is a very close estimate.

24. ebuckley

ebuckley Member

Folks told me that consistency is more important than absolute accuracy.

I found this languishing in my toolbox in the garage. Very helpful.

Attached Files:

25. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jason!!

Here's a list of Low Carb treats for you to look over. The Temptations are too high in carbs.

I just buy chicken when it's on sale and boil 1 piece and freeze the rest. Cut the boiled into small treat sized pieces and refrigerate (you can also freeze after boiling if it's too much to use in a few days). Ends up being a lot cheaper in the long run, and most cats love it.

26. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Jason - guy thing....

Go to Harbor Freight (or other hardware store) and buy yourself a handy dandy 4" caliper to measure doses.

Harbor Freight 4" Calipers

You can then measure your doses for consistency rather than eyeballing. It won't take you long to start recognizing each dose without them. If you want to do it this way, I'll find you more info...

I use caliper dosing and full unit marked syringes - I used to use the half unit marked one but now that I've gotten used to the single unit ones, the half unit ones confuse me... :razz: This also takes away the non-consistency of the first lines too.

27. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Ellie is right again:
    These are the digital calipers I sometimes use when the syringe markings are particularly off on a specific bag/batch or when Mikey's on quarter-unit doses. :D

28. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

at +6 today his reading is the lowest I ever seen it.

128 BG

I started him at 1.25 unit as mentioned before, should I be worried about the number that low? Because his numbers were going down on 1 unit, im afraid he will keep going down over the coarse of a few days like he did when he was on 1 unit.

Should I just stay at 1.25? this is at +6 so it should start going back up.

29. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That is a lower number than you have seen, but it's a nice safe number. Remember, we don't worry unless the lowest point is lower than 50. A regulated cat is in the mid 200s at preshot and in double digits at nadir, but not below 50.

I think you both are doing great. He is responding amazingly well to the Vetsulin. The objective is for the numbers to continue to lower, until you need to lower the dose, and again, until he doesn't need insulin anymore. As long as you are testing, you can keep him in safe numbers.

30. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

His BG is 96 at +6 after pmps of 1.25

I got a very very tiny blood sample but the test didn't come up with an error so I hope it was correct.

This again is the lowest I have seen. Think I should stay at 1.25 for a while? I'm afraid it'll go lower and lower and get to low.

Is there a way to even that curve out? or is it always going to be a big dip curve?

I don't think I am going to test anymore at night, its just way to late for me and its killing me during the day. It is 4am right now.

Plus test strips are going to kill me, even if I test him only 3 times a day its about $35 a month. On top of the insulin, syringes, cat food, vet visits, and other supply's I don't think I can afford more that 3 tests a day.

Here is another pic of Wease showing of his squishiness lol

[​IMG]

31. Arienna

Arienna Member

Lookit that cute, chubby face! xD He looks delighted with you after that last poke.

As far as expensive test strips - maybe we can all go in on a large bulk order of the Relion Conform test strips. Or! Convince them to sponser us? Worth a shot, right? ;-)

I've genuinely thought it's worth trying to talk to the company that makes Lantus... It's pretty much the insulin of choice around here. Maybe we could convince them to market to us and vets specifically? Smaller vials, finer needles with 0.25 markings? With the generic coming up, surely they'd welcome a new market for their product... And maybe we could save some newly diabetic kitty parents from getting that first $200+ vial. When Theo got diagnosed I wound up paying $400 in insulin in two days. :shock:

32. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

More level curves? Not unless you switch insulin. ;-) I'd definitely keep him at this dose a while longer or lower it a smidge, if anything. No need to increase just yet. For the test strips, look into the ReliOn Prime from Walmart. It does require a slightly bigger blood sample than the Confirm, but the test strips only cost $9 for 50.

33. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

His AMPS is 239, do I dare to give 1.25 again? That's the lowest pre shot ive had.

34. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you're concerned about how low the glucose might go and you won't be able to monitor, back off a quarter unit.
    If the lowest level has remained well above 50 mg/dL on a human glucometer (80 mg/dL pet specific), shoot.

35. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

I gave him a smidge less than 1.25, when I say a smidge I mean it probably was 1.25 lol. It's such a tiny amount its hard to tell. I can test him +6 today but wont be able to test at all tonight after his pm shot.

36. Jen&Eddie

I'm not sure what to tell you on dose. I'd be curious to see if the 1.25 might give him a nice green nadir. That said, you'd want to make sure you could monitor pretty closely, and that you had both low carb and gravy/HC on hand in case he dips lower than you're expecting. It looks like Wease is really making the best of this insulin! His numbers are looking really good!

As we got more confident in our testing abilities with Eddie, and got more data on how he responded to a particular dose, I felt more confident in bringing him down lower into the greens. Eventually, you'll be able to help control his curve by "strategic" feeding of small amounts of low carb food. If you look at some of the Lantus user condos and spreadsheets -- especially those who's cats spend a lot of time in lower numbers, you can see what I mean by guiding with food. :smile: I do this with Eddie if he's dropping a little faster than I want, or if I want to bring his numbers up just a hair.

With the type of insulin you're using, you can also probably use food to even him out some. Smaller meals throughout the day puts less pressure on the pancreas than with big meals. You may also be able to withhold meals later in the cycle to avoid raising his BG after the insulin has worn off.

37. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

I mean his numbers look way better than they did, couldn't I be happy with around 150-70 numbers forever? Id rather leave him a little higher than to low. Can he live happy with a little higher numbers like mentioned?

38. Jen&Eddie

Most definitely! Numbers in those ranges would be very, very good regulation on insulin, and he'd likely be very healthy in that range. Many cats, do, however, actually go into remission, meaning no more insulin! :smile: I think everyone has remission as an "end-game" goal but the first step is regulation, and you're doing great lowering Wease's numbers overall in that direction!

39. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Magnifiers can be really helpful for consistent measuring -stand, hand, visor, or clip on.

I wear glasses, so I found the Carson Clip and Flip to be exactly what I needed. You'll find them on our shopping partner Amazon.

40. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Weaes's PMPS is at 216, im afraid to give him 1.25 units again because of the average rate he drops in the curve.

I wont be home tonight to check on him so should I give 1 unit instead?

He dropped 186 points from his pm preshot to his +6 last night. 282 to 96

If he does that again he will go seriously low.

41. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That sounds like a good plan, Jason.

42. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You can also leave some food out. Cats will eat if they feel themselves dropping low.

43. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Thanks, I will give him 1 unit. Better safe than sorry :)

44. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

his +6 at 195 makes no sense to me. Maybe he was responding better to the 1.25 unit dose.

45. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you get a lower than expected test, re-test.

Also, when the glucose drops rapidly, or to an unfamiliar level, compensatory hormones kick in and release stored glucose (glycogen) which raises the glucose level up for as much as 3 days. You maay be seeing some of that. We call it a 'bounce'.

46. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Looks like the 1.25 dose is a better dose for now, when you can monitor. Made sense to dial back a bit if you couldn't monitor last night. This is a moving target, Jason. That's why we like hometesting. :mrgreen:

47. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Wease threw up last night, first time he has done that since I started him on wetfood about a week and 3 days ago. I tested his PMPS and it was 171, lowest Ive ever saw it at any pre shot. I still gave him 1 unit lowering it from 1.25 of insulin tho. Hope he will be ok.

48. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

1.25 units dropped him about 150 mg/dL - an estimated 120 mg/dL per unit. One unit could drop him too much today. You'll want to check him every few hours and maybe have some medium or high carb food available to steer his numbers if he starts heading low.

Keep an eye on the vomiting as it can really drop the glucose. As needed, you may have to drop the insulin dose to accommodate the lack of food.

If he should continue having vomiting or stop eating for more than 2 days, he'll need a vet visit due to the risk of hepatic lipidosis where too much fat is broken down and overwhelms the liver, disrupting food digestion and absorption.

49. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

he is at 107 at +3 hopefully he doesn't drop more than 50 more points. Im worried!

50. Sue and Oliver (GA)

One of the things that might calm your worries is if you know what to do.

If he drops into the 50s, feed him a small amount of regular food and retest in 20-30 minutes. If he has come up, do another test in that same time frame.

If he drops lower, give him some gravy off the higher carb gravy foods and retest within that same time.

The vast majority of the time, IF the cat drops below the 50s(not saying he will) the bean can steer the numbers with food and keep him high enough to be safe until the insulin starts to wear off. That kind of scenerio happens here all the time and the cat is fine. Usually the only time (and it is very rare) a hypo causes a trip to the vet is when a new person comes on, isn't testing and says their cat is acting funny.

FYI. The reason you feed small amounts when steering the numbers is that you want him to stay hungry so he will eat and bring up his levels.

Once you know how you raise the numbers with food, the lower numbers are much less scary.

51. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

He's dropping roughly 21 points per hour. This rate can vary. Maybe give a teaspoon or two of low carb food.

52. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

122 at +6, Ill never understand these levels. It should have been lower.

Oh well he is fine :)

53. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Vetsulin is a mixture of 2 different duration insulins.
    You've just observed the shorter acting one is wearing off. There may be another slight dip as the longer acting one hits nadir, then it'll likely rise until pre-shot.

54. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Don't ya think if I gave him the 2 units blindly twice everyday from the start, Wease would probably be dead right now from to much insulin?

55. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

And aren't you glad we insisted testing would help you keep him safe?

56. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Yea im glad, because if he died without research I wouldn't know the vet was wrong about the dose and figured it was Wease's time to pass.

I still need to figure out how to make it lower without going to low tho. I thought for sure 1.25 was going to keep him mostly in the blue and green.

57. Sue and Oliver (GA)

He is in really nice numbers. Anything under 250 is below the renal threshold and his pancreas can be healing. Would you want to try a fat one unit for the higher ranges and one unit for the lower? That'd be pulling up more than one unit and then squirting out till it's just past one. Although the one unit made us nervous this am, it turned out fine.

58. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

Wease is at 107 at +6 tonight. He was 204 at pre shot. I gave him 1 unit.

If I gave a little extra like the thickness of a line is that a fat shot? You think 1.25 is to risky for now? He does seem to need to be somewhere between 1 unit and 1.25. That is not easy to measure. I can give the thickness of one line tho because I always align the base of the plunger on the bottom of the line. All I have to to is put the base so that the line is exposed. I guess it is hard to explain.

I really appreciate everyone!!!

59. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You can test how that works, literally.
    Try it when you're home to monitor.
    Be prepared and have high and medium carb gravied foods at hand, so that if you're concerned, you can give him 1 to 2 teaspoons of higher carb food to steer the numbers, wait 30 minutes, retest.com and repeat as needed..

60. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

He is at 170 before his PMPS

Should I try a .75 dose or just go for 1 unit again? If im always scared ill never get him to stay under 100.

I don't know what to do right now but I wont be able to test tonight either. :(

61. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The ss says he is at 170 at pmps. (not 107, right?). If that's the case, one unit should be okay, because it has been before. But I understand if you won't be able to monitor, that .75 might feel safer. Go with your gut.

62. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

170 yes sorry :)

I will try 1 unit. Your right it was ok before :)

Ok 1 unit given to him. He will be ok, it will be good also if I can test him at +6 which I don't want to but I will. It will give me an idea how his numbers are doing with 1 unit at 170.

63. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Hi my stinkin' cute baby...oh you're gonna kick this juice, good thing Dad's learning to dance so well!

HI Jason! Boy you got this whole thing goin' now! WOOT WOOT!!

64. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

lol that made me laugh :p

65. Jen&Eddie

Time for a new pic! :D

Wease is making GREAT progress! Just look how well he's doing in such a short time, and that's because he's got YOU - a wonderful, loving dad-bean. :D

I tried to skim back through your very first post and I believe you had switched over to low carb wet food, but I'm not 100% certain. You may be able to bring Wease's overall numbers a little lower by going to a little bit lower carb food, depending on what you're currently feeding, or by spreading out his meals into smaller portions.

Can you remind us what you're currently feeding, and what Wease's feeding schedule looks like?

66. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

I did start using Friskies Classic Pates variety pack. He eats twice a day right during his shot. He has been on it now about a week and a half.

It has Mixed Grill, Turkey & Giblets and Ocean Whitefish & tuna.

He use to have normal dry catfood out 24-7 before this, he is doing surprisingly well considering he is a little piglet. The switch to wet was easy, he loves that stuff.

Here is a couple more pics, I posted 2 because this is how he likes to lay on me lol

The first pic is from like 3 years ago and the second was a couple months ago. You can tell he lost weight but he still likes to lay the same way and stare at me lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

67. Jen&Eddie

It should be illegal to be that cute. :D

Ok so from Dr. Pierson's list, here's the carbs on those three varieties: Mixed Grill = 11%, Ocean Whitefish = 9%, Turkey & Giblets = 8%. Those are all relatively good, and I think a lot of people feed those ones. Some kitties are a bit more sensitive to carbohydrates, so even a bit lower carb rate can have an impact for some cats. For example, some people seem to notice a difference even between a 3% carb food versus a 9% carb food. It might be something to consider experimenting with gradually.

I'm not familiar with vetsulin and it's peak action, but as I understand, it's compounded so basically you've got a short acting insulin mixed with a longer-acting one. It may be possible to split Wease's meals into smaller portions throughout the day rather than feeding the two big meals. It's thought that a bigger meal can make the pancreas work harder, and smaller meals spread out throughout the day let kitty's pancreas rest and heal a bit more. You might also be able to time some of Wease's meals so that he's getting food primarily when the insulin is working the hardest.

Just wanted to toss out some ideas to you! Wease's numbers are really looking very, very good with you doing exactly what you are doing. Tweaking the food is really just that...tweaking things a bit. If you do decide to experiment a bit, my suggestion is to make one small change at a time, so you can see what effect, if any, a change has, before tweaking again.

68. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Hey Jason, looked at last night's cycle. nice nadir! Is that your first green?

We're going to have to eat our words. vetsulin seems to be working beautifully for him!

Time to start a new thread......

69. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

He is at 160 at AMPS, now I am getting nervous about that 1 unit dose. He just keeps going down and down!!

Should I do 1 unit still?

I gave him 1 unit twice now when he was in the 170's

171 and dipped to 122 at +6
    170 and dipped to 94 at +6

*** EDIT ok well I gave him 1 unit. I didn't want to wait to long for a reply so that he stays on the same schedule. If I don't take a chance then I will never know what the breaking point is I guess. Hopefully soon it will stop going down down down and react the same on a consistent basis.

70. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Yep, time to start a new thread today 'cos THIS stinkin' cute kitty is gonna go OTJ!!!

Jason, got your dancin' shoes polished and ready? Wease is already tired of this - here's the NEXT OTJ trial coming soon...stay tuned!

WOOHOO! Oh I just wanna snuggle wif dat baby!

71. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

That would be great but How do you know when that happens? How is that possible so quickly?

Incase anyone missed it I gave him 1 unit at 160 amps. I didn't want to wait to long for a reply so that he stays on the same schedule. If I don't take a chance then I will never know what the breaking point is I guess. Hopefully soon it will stop going down down down and react the same on a consistent basis.

72. Sue and Oliver (GA)

This is where the big decision comes, Jason. You can choose to be agressive and push for lower numbers. You'd need to be around to monitor and be ready to bring up the numbers with food if necessary. You can be less agressive and work with a little lower doses and higher nadirs if you think the food may be working to bring down the numbers also.

Your one unit this am should be fine. Just monitor maybe at +3 and +6

73. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Some fancy shooting this morning, Cowboy! [​IMG] Can't wait to see the results of this one!

74. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Just a note: Unless/until you have data showing it is safe, please don't shoot below 150 mg/dL on a human meter (180 mg/dL pet-specific meter).

When you start getting pre-shots below 150 mg/dL (180) or the nadir winds up below 50 mg/dL (80), reduce by 0.25 units.

75. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

His + 6 is 124... see this is never going to make sense to me!

Last night he was 170 I gave him 1 unit and he dropped to 94 at +6
    So today he was at 160 I gave him 1 unit and he dropped to 124 at +6

ARG!!!

Im trying to find a deal on relion confirm test strips online, these are going to cost more than any thing else. In 1 week I have already used 50 of them.

Even if I only test 3 times a day a month that still is 90 strips. That's about $38 a month alone.

76. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Jason,
    Remember - insulin is a hormone, NOT a 'chemical' medicine like a thyroid med. Many things can affect bg levels, they'll never be exactly the same. Example - a can of cat food is supposed to be 5% carbs BUT that particular can got more of the 'carb' than the next can. The cat that eats THAT can will be consuming a higher carb. This can't be helped, it just happens. Even seeing a squirrel or another animal outside can spike some cats!

Please give dat stinkin' cute boy a headbutt from me....

EDIT TO ADD: Strips - the strips are actually made by Arkray who also makes 'generic' meters. I think you can order them from American Diabetes Warehouse cheaper - check the 'SHOP' link at the top of each page. Confirm=Glucocard 01

77. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

The ReliOn Confirm/Micro are the same as the Arkray Glucocard 01. And, if you're feeling confident in getting blood, you might want to switch to the ReliOn Prime (requires more blood than the Confirm). There is no Arkray equivalent (Walmart only), but the strips are $9 for 50/$18 for 100 (although they don't sell boxes of 100).

78. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You can't think of this as an exact science. Besides the things others have mentioned, remember that meters have a 20% variance, on the same sample. So if you look at your numbers in that light, he is definitely in the same range of numbers and you are getting very similar results.

And besides, all those numbers are very nice!

Time to start a new thread with the evening pmps.

79. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

A lot more blood? or like twice as much? Does it still suck it into it?

Well he is at 161 at this PMPS like this morning. I still gave him a 1 unit dose but I cant check him tonight but I think he is safe.

Is there a reason to start a new thread? Or does a thread get so long they are harder to keep up with?

80. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You keep making my heart stop, Jason. 160, not 106, right?

Once you're on page 2, yes, it's harder to keep up with your thread. Just a better idea to post a page a day.

81. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

161 sorry, I don't know why I keep doing that, I guess I type fast and don't notice it. I always put it on the spreadsheet before I post here tho. :)

82. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

The ReliOn Confirm/Micro takes about .3ul of blood and the Prime takes about .5ul of blood. Not a huge difference but a big enough difference when you're first starting out and getting very little blood (if any) that it can cause some frustration. Once the ears have learned to bleed and you can consistently get a bead of blood the size of a pin then it's not much of a problem. Also, if you waste strips, you don't feel as bad. :lol:

83. NitroViper

NitroViper Member

I should switch, .5ul vs .3ul is really not even a noticeable amount.

Ill start a new thread tomorrow, I try not to post to much so it doesn't become a mess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.