2/12 Gizzy's #'s Posted + Question on Feline Herpes and FD

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by pistull, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pistull

pistull Member

Does anyone know where I can get more info on the effect feline herpes has on feline diabetes? I can't find any research on it anywhere. Gizzy contracted the herpes virus in late 2010 and since then his #'s have not responded well to insulin. He's been diabetic since 2008 and was OTJ from 2/23/09 - 9/5/10.

I had a full CBC and urinalysis done this week and all his #'s were perfect (except glucose of course!!) There is nothing they can do for the herpes virus... The vet put him on Baytril (antibiotic) before I had her run the bloodwork because he has the classic red line on his gums which indicates infection. He also had a dental in November of 2010. I'm also giving him 500mg of L-Lysine per day.

I am absolutely baffled as to why he's not responding to insulin this time around. I'm leaving him at 2u twice a day for 7 days to see if his body starts to adjust to it. I just REALLY need to get him out of these high #'s) Fingers crossed.

Any ideas?!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.