2/13 Bear Man Old Timer update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Linda and Bear Man, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Last Condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5665&p=57069#p57069

Bear Man has had a good week. His numbers have been all over the place (he started Thursday out at 313 and was down to 61 at pm+1) for reasons unknown. We have settled into a bit of a routine in feeding him some foods which are not as low in phosphorus as he should get, but which he will eat (always a desireable feature in a food). He is getting his phosphorus binder, and I am managing to juggle the two hour offset between that and his other meds. He seems really mellow and comfortable this week, spending a lot of time either sprawled out on the bed in a sunbeam, or snuggled up in his basket with Teddy.

I met with the vet last week to discuss our options, the plan, my many questions, and his prognosis, as well as what I want for him in the future and what I don't. We discussed quality of life vs qauntity, and what I would want for him at the end of his life. My vet, the sweetheart, started crying, and then we were both going. But that is all for another, hopefully far away, day.

We have plans to recheck his bloodwork in about 10 days to see if we are making progress with his phosphorus. We will be getting some urine specimens tested to see if he is spilling protein in his urine, and if he needs medication for that. I am restarting B12 injections on him weekly to try and improve his anemia.

Miss Emily may have wandered over to join Bear Man in CRF land after her last bout of pyelonephritis, so she will also be getting her bloodwork rechecked, to see if she needs to get with the program as well. Teddy Man continues to be a worry to me. I have hard decisions to make for him about putting him on aggressive chemo vs leaving things where they are.

Here is Bear sunning his pancreas in a sunbeam:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Patricia&Brownie

Patricia&Brownie Member

Hang in there, Linda (and Bear and Emily and Teddy!) - you're doing an awesome job. They are a lucky trio to have you fighting with them... Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.

3. Fleapunk

Fleapunk Member

LINDA!! I was just reading your thread from last week.....just now, then I came back and here was an updated thread!!!

I'm so glad Bear had a goodly week, pancreatic sunning is so theraputic.

I started crying when I read your vet started crying.....I heart him.

Just wanted to pop in, say hi and give a hug ((((((((((LindaBearTeddy&MissEmily))))))))))

4. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

AWWwwww...i love the pictures....I wanna jump in and hug them both so much!
    (((Linda Bear Man & Teddy)))

5. Wendi and Milo (GA)

Wendi and Milo (GA) Member

:YMHUG: Big Hug :YMHUG:

Nothing better than a warm sunny spot to make a kitty feel better.

6. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

Awwww, those pictures are so beautiful of your guy. He is such a sweetheart.

Like Jackie, my eyes teared when reading your discussion with your vet. Like you, I hope those decisions are not going be needed for your guy for a good long time. He's had a great week, and that is wonderful. May they continue.....

Sounds like you have the food thing under control. Wish I could take your worries away about your furry ones...they do pull at our heart strings, don't they? I hope Teddy feels better soon, and that Miss Emily's blood work will turn out OK.

(((Linda, bear Man, Miss Emily, Teddy)))

7. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to hear Bear is having a good week. It sure sounds like you're making good choices in all the choices you have to make.

8. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I'm glad Bear-Man had a good week. I love those pictures!

9. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((linda, bear man and teddy)))
    happy to hear bear has had a good week. here's to many more! drinking24

10. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Linda
    Thanks for the update on the kitties.
    I'm glad Bear Man had a good week and wish for continued good health
    for everyone.
    I just love those pictures you posted. Just makes you want to snuggle up with them.
    Big hugs.

11. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

((((((((((((((Linda and Bear Man)))))))))))))))

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Warm, snuggly kitties -- what could be better? Bear, Teddy, Miss Emily and you all deserve only the best.

13. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

linda......

sorry you have to have some serious discussion w/ vet.
    you are juggling so much with kitties.
    I am glad they are too busy w/ the sunbeams to worry.
    here's to many more happy cat times to come for you and yours !

14. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

Linda, love the pictures, you are one heck of a bean.

we love you and the rest of the gang (((Linda, Bear, Teddy, Miss Emily)))

Please give scritches from me to the gang

15. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Lovely to hear the Bear man has had a good week :mrgreen:

You sure have your work cut out, kudos to your dedication.Do you know, it's so warming for once to hear something human and nice about a vet!Glad you have a good one with everything your dealing with .

(((Bear Man, Linda, Teddy,Miss Emily)))

Love the pics :mrgreen:

16. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor Well-Known Member

Aha! Found it :)

Glad to read the updates, and that your vettybean has got a definite heart-in-the-right-place thing going on! One step at a time, you're right. Have a good Sunday, all of you!!

Jane and Jack

17. stephanie & Ti-Mi (GA)

stephanie & Ti-Mi (GA) Member

Loooooovely pictures!

18. Sandy and Boris

Sandy and Boris Member

Linda you are such an inspiration. sweet Bear Man and Teddy are so blessed to have you for a bean, must be so hard to deal with so much. What a wonderful job you are doing with everything. You sure get some great pictures too! Take care, I think of you often. (((Hugs)))

19. KT & Buckwheat

KT & Buckwheat Member

Love the pics! Hope this finds all of you doing well and nice and safe and warm. I couldn't find a thread for today so have made a Cardinal sin by saying Hi on yesterday's thread. Wet noodle coming my way. :oops:

Linda, thanks again for letting me know about Old Timers day on Caturdays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.