2/13 Kitty AMPS 92 - Dental qstn about monitoring BG

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and Kitty, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6081

He noticed the dose change down to 1.0 from 1.25 Skinny ... and marched on!

The vet doing Kitty's dental this coming Wednesday thinks Kitty has non-diabetic BG numbers. So far, so good. :D

But I have asked him to monitor Kitty's BG during anesthesia, to be prepared with glucose in case he goes too low.

The question is... what is too low? I think the vet sees Kitty as already kind of low!! He is not used to diabetics, so I have to assume he isn't used to the "nom nom" effect.

Should I ask for glucose to be added below a certain BG? Ideas about how to interact with the vet on monitoring the BG during and just after anesthesia?

Thanks, and happy Caturday!

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Just wanted to stop in and say "hi". I can't remember if you're supposed to skip the morning shot or 1/2 the morning shot, but you won't be shooting the full thing, which will make it safer (and somebody else should know the answer).

3. Kathy and Kitty

Thanks, Heather! We plan to skip the morning dose.

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

kathy, trust your vet. you aren't planning on giving insulin. kitty will be receiving fluids. the line will be set and in place if they need to bring the numbers up. they will be monitoring him during the procedure (you've already gone over this with them). from what i've seen around here... the nom-nom effect usually shows up hours later (when kitty is home) if it shows up at all.

5. skippy and birten

skippy and birten Member

Can you explain what "nom nom effect" is, please.
    Thanks

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

"Nom nom" effect is the effect that anesthesia has on BG -- it "eats up" the sugar dropping BG values. After a dental, or any other procedure where anesthesia is involved, you need to be aware that numbers may be lower so it may effect your PM shot. In addition, it's why vets will often advice a reduced dose or no shot the morning of a procedure. Anesthesia also slows gastric motility which is why when you feed after a procedure, you should not give lots of food -- if you do you may get a scarf-n-barf.

7. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

hey kathy!
    i would suggest the morning of dental no shot for kitty since you are deep into the dose reduction path and running the all green SS. no insulin on board and everyone will be less worried too. (also maybe print out tilly to show your vet and say this is what you are following).
    as far as what BG is thrown during dental, if there is no insulin on board vet shouldn't worry too much, s/he has seen a copy of your SS and can see what is normal for kitty.... but know that you are way out of vet's comfort zone for what their knowledge of diabetic cats is, and cut them some slack. if vet is freaking out let them give the glucose, it is not gonna hurt kitty in the long run. we can just pretend kitty got into some illegal snackus, lol. i just don't want vet to not do dental because s/he is too worried about BG's.

then when kitty gets home on wed get a BG when you walk in door cause you are going to use that to compare to PMPS number to see if you have nom nom nom effect happening (but if vet did freak and give glucose then will have to figure that into equation too as it wears off). impossible to say until we see the numbers that afternoon what the exact plan will be for that night's dose.

do you think there is going to be extractions? make sure you come home with a few doses of bupe to give if there is.

8. Kathy and Kitty

Re: 2/13 Kitty PMPS 86 - Dental qstn about monitoring BG

Thank you all!

I am going to trust the vet.

I will give him the Tilly print-out and Itell him to do what he feels is right about adding glucose. I appreciate having that pointed out to me, because, exactly right, he is out of his comfort zone with Kitty's BG.

He doesn't have Kitty's spreadsheet, but i did test in the office, and he knows Kitty's range.

Right now, I'm hoping no extractions, but the back is a little red. The vet will give one dose of bupe during the procedure, and will send some home if there are extractions.

Did I mention that I thank you all?? :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.