2/13 Tori Longtimer's Update and Remembering a Year Ago

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Barb and Tori, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

I haven't posted for a few days. Tori has been doing well. Some bouncing as usual but has only hit pink a couple of times. That for a little girl who loves bouncing is quite an improvement. Would like to see more green but she's working on it.

It suddenly dawned on me this morning that this week marked a year since Tori had her second acute pancreatitis attack that resulted in her spending a week in hospital. She scared the heck out of me that day. She went downhill so quickly. SHe started the day eating a fair breakfast with a reasonable BG and by the evening she was vomiting ++ and had a BG of 600 by the time I got her to Emerg. Thank God she is not prone to ketones or she would have been in real trouble. Anyway with IV fluids and painkillers she started to improve. We thought we might have to resort to a feeding tube again but she started to eat on her own.

My main concern was the fact that that was her second severe attack in 3 months. I was really scared of how many more attacks like that she could survive and of course I wondered if I could afford to treat her if she kept it up having spent over $6000 for the 2 hospitalizations. Thank God for this Board and a wonderful vet who was more than willing to set things up so I could start treating flares at home. Jojo I will love you forever for teaching me how to recognize her early symptoms and helping me set up my CP Flare toolbox. I now have the confidence to treat her at home. Our vet was wonderfully supportive and got a hold of some Buprenex for us which isn't that easy in Canada as he had to get permission from the Emergency Drug Program to get it for us and then had it sent to us from McGill University which is on the other side of the country.

Tori has had 3 flares in the last year, the last one was in September which is 5 months ago and they were quite minor and easily treated at home. I don't live in constant fear like I did when she first came home but I am always on the lookout for signs things aren't going right. My baby is doing well though. Every day I have with her is a special gift that I treasure.

For those of you who have CP kitties it can b e managed. It is not an automatic death sentence. It's not always easy but is certainly worth the effort. Get to know the early signs that your kitty is starting to flare. Have your tool box ready to go at all times. And when in doubt treat. Also remember you are never alone. There is a wealth of knowledge and support here.

2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

tori is one lucky kitty to have you barb!
    :YMHUG:

3. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

What an amazing Mom you are to your baby! Ditto what Jill said...she is very lucky to have you. So glad to hear you are able to manage her flares at home now. I know from experience how very scary (and expensive) the ER visits can be.

Glad she is doing so well...even if a bit bouncy! :mrgreen: flip_cat

4. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Barb and Tori)))

Tori is lucky to have you as her Bean, and so happy your vet worked with you to get your CP toolbox filled.

5. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

what a great post! :mrgreen:
    and you are so right, those of us with CP cats, it is all about catching it early and having a well stocked CP flare tool box to make all the difference between something minor and.... well we all know how extremely bad they can be.
    she is doing really well. it is all about more than numbers, she is a very bouncy girl, always has been, but QOL is above all else what is important and hers is so much better. (and hey my cat has all green numbers but that makes not one bit of difference if he is hunched up in pain growling while having a flare. meters don't purr and lick my arm, the feeling good cat does). and don't know if you have noticed, but numbers are indeed better too. scroll real quick down SS only looking at colors, see how there is far less pink now than there used to be? as long as one is making improvement then all is well. some cats just like to do it on their own time table...

6. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Lovely to hear Tori is doing so well.

Kudos to you for mnaging her flare ups at home.

Scritches to Tori cat_pet_icon

7. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Tori is doing well. I remember how sick she was and how worried you were, I was always watching for updates. Please give her some extra scritches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.