2/14: Pablo's AMPS 332 and an acro test on Monday :(

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Holly and Pablo, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holly and Pablo

Holly and Pablo Member

Condo from 2/12

WCR: Nothing unusual. I can barely type for him rubbing on my face and hands! I think he's über thankful that my sister doesn't have to test him on the weekends because he doesn't puke when I test him! Ha.

On a slightly more upsetting subject...I am taking Pab to work with me tomorrow for IGF-1 and IAA testing. :sad: We're up to 5.25 units and nothing but FLLLAAAAAT cycles for weeks. After my thread on the high dose board, I've found some unsettling commonalities between Pablo and the "typical" acro cat. He snores and makes weird respiratory noises when stressed, has a significantly wider face than other cats, and my sister even commented yesterday (without me even asking) that his face/head seem larger than when I got him last year. I stared at her incredulously after she said that. It's hard to see changes when I see Pablo ALL the time. Her comment really freaked me out!

But hopefully he's just an unusual-looking cat with a big face that snores like an old man. Omg, I hope so. I haven't even asked the high dose peeps what's next if he is positive. Radiation? Wow. I just hate the stress of not knowing what's going on!!!

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I know you're scared Holly, but it is better to know. You mentioned "next steps" in case he is positive for acro. You basically have two choices 1) stereotactic radiation surgery at Colorado State University or 2) simply treat the symptoms. There may be a new clinical trial in the future with a drug (also via CSU).

Joan/Madison, Wendi/Milo, and Boo (and I) did the SRS. Maddie & Milo were part of a clinical trial. Sandy & Cecil were supposed to be in the trial, but they discovered heart problems while he was at CSU. Boo was number 9 in the country to be treated. The treatment appeared to be working very well for Maddie, but she died of CRF. Milo's insulin needs have gone down considerably...they now think he's just a "normal" diabetic. Boo is completely off insulin, but she also has CRF so we don't know how long she'll make it. The SRS costs about $5000. Also, while you may hear that you can do normal radiation, it's not near as good as SRS, it costs about the same, and the cat needs about a month of treatments (and therefore, anesthesia)...not worth doing the regular. The travel costs really are minimal - you are looking at one week in Ft. Collins. One of the local hotels even has a special rate for pets being treated at CSU.

Many other acromoms are simply treating the symptoms. Carolyn & Leo, Carolynn & Fletcher, Bonnie & Porscha, Nina & KB, KT & Buckwheat, Lorna & Girlcat, Dawn & Toby, and others. Some of them shoot enormous amounts of insulin every day; some of them shoot little (the tumor can go into less active phases). The goal here is to prevent kidney damage by keeping the BGs down. However, the other issues caused by the growth hormone will continue.

If Pablo is otherwise healthy and if you can afford it, I would recommend the SRS. I figured that it was worth a shot - I think one person was going through almost 100 u of insulin a day...about $300 per month, $3600 per year (hope my math is right...100 u per day would be 1 vial every 10 days @ $100 per vial).

3. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Hi Holly :)
    While he has some characteristics of acro, don't forget to add the IAA test to the acro test. It's inexpensive and since you're already gonna be sending blood in to MSU, you might as well add that $12 test. IAA is insulin auto-antibody. Pablo certainly does have some insulin resistance showing in his SS.. and I'd like to let you know that it's okay to take him up 1/2u at a time if one of those tests comes back positive. If they don't come back positive, you might go ahead and jump that dose by 1/2u anyway, it's got to be very frustrating for you already. MSU is very quick with the results, and your vet should receive them by Friday afternoon, at least the acro, IAA results didn't come in til the following Monday but they still went ahead and told my vet the positive acro result. Generally anything over 92 is considered positive.

Pablo's numbers are typical of what you'd see with both an acrocat and IAA cat, but could also be something else. Don't despair if he's positive for acro, he will still live a very good life with proper treatment, whether that be radiosurgery or just heavy dosing of insulin. If he's positive for IAA, that is a temporary condition and can be overcome with very aggressive dosing. Plenty of support here if he's positive for either, with many acrocats on the board and a couple IAA kitties too. It's thought that possibly 1/3 of diabetic cats are undiagnosed acro's, so it's more common than previously considered.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Holly,
    Acro or not, I think Pablo has an adorable face. And even if he is unusual and snores, he's still a sweetheart.

Good luck on your tests and the results; I am also waiting to have Shadoe tested for both, searching for a reason for her high consumption of insulin.

There are so many people here who can help you with whatever the results show; we are truly lucky to have found site, yes?

Scratches for Pablo.

5. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Good luck with the blood tests. Whichever way it goes, at least you will have more information to help you move forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.