2/14 Sabrina AMPS 309...She's home!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by milfordcollector, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

Sabrina's 2/12 Condo
    Good Morning Everyone!!! Sabrina came home late yesterday afternoon, after making the vet staff laugh earlier in the morning........she tried to escape off the exam table & high tail it home before I was ready, lol
    I got the mandatory goody bag of meds, food, & Sub Q fluids. In the car she talked to me the whole time & was happy to be out of the carrier.:)
    The vet instructed me to keep her at .5U for now and adjust accordingly. They also did a curve yesterday & compared the numbers with my meter (Relion Prime) & she said at higher bg's there was a 75 point spread but at lower #s there was a 30 point spread. She suggested I purchase a pet specific glucometer in the near future.....o_O
    Sorry I'm braindead, but someone asked what Sabrina's dose was before dka, I kept it around a heavy .5 dose. I'm still working on updating her ss & lab results which I hope to get finished by tonight:rolleyes: Any input would be appreciated, especially the meter results.....I'm posting her curve below from yesterday. Happy Valentines Day:kiss: Cindy & Sabrina:cat:
    PS - Vets office sent me home with hills prescription a/d critical care....it has corn flour in it, now @ +2.25 bg is higher than her AMPS. I also have FF kitten, should I switch her back to that?

Yesterday's curve(at the vets office)left column is TSVmg glucometer, right my Relion Prime
    AMPS 415, .5u *no comparison
    +2 451 +2 376
    +4 359 +4 299
    +6 323 +6 281
    +8 319 +8 278
    **PMPS .5U 324 (used my Relion Confirm)

2/14
    AMPS 309, .5U - Ketones 1.4, - gave mirtz famotidine, cerenia 150ml Sub q
    +2.25 355

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    Reason for edit: Add info
    Anne & Zener GA likes this.
  2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

What were her ketones before she left the hospital?
    I hope she is eating well.
    We need to get those ketones down.

3. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that Sabrina is home, you must be so relieved. I don't know if Sabrina will react to fluids like Sami has, but I thought I would let you know that when I give Sami fluids I do them in her scruff, but I need to make sure that her insulin shot is in the flank. When I was doing them both in the scruff, even if I did one on one side and the other on the other side, Sami dropped VERY FAST from the fluids. I personally prefer a slow gradual drop verses the FAST and HARD. Just thought I would share my experience with you in case you find that Sabrina is doing some wacky drops after fluids.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Do you or the vet have any idea what led to the DKA? Was Sabrina getting an antibiotic while she was hospitalized?

You need to keep in mind that ketones develop due to infection/inflammation, not enough insulin, and not enough calories. Switching Sabrina to any food she will eat is fine. Personally, if you're going to feed something that is going to raise numbers, you're going to have to be prepared to increase Sabrina's insulin dose or use R as a quick means of getting numbers down.

Also, do not give fluids on the same side as you give insulin.

5. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

IMHO you should stick with a human glucometer. It will be easier on your wallet.
    A human glucometer also makes it easier for folks willing to help to do so.
    It's how most of us automatically 'think'
    about the numbers.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yeah for Sabrina being home! What a great Valentine's Day present. :)

I know it's a lot of work to catch up on the spreadsheet, but we really need to see it to help you help Sabrina. Even if you just did the last two weeks of data it would be helpful.

7. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Glad you've got her home! You must be relieved.

Couple of thoughts - your hard work begins now. You're going to need to help us help you. The spreadsheet is our best tool for seeing the whole picture. Wendy's suggestion of just putting in the past 2 weeks is great. We need that.

Once a cat has ketones they often return, so you'll need to be really on top of that. Posting frequently will help us with being able to give you timely help. Sticking with one dose, the same one that got her into DKA, isn't too likely. We can help you look at her tests and adjust the dose as needed.

I'd use the relion. It's a fraction of the cost and most of us are most fluent in human glucometers.

How is she doing tonight? And how are you doing?

8. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Hi Cindy -- glad that The Princess is home holding court. I sure hope those ketones come down--Gobbles is threatening to use his MMA skills to lower, and remove, them if necessary <3

9. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Cindy.

I'm so glad that Sabrina is home with you. I'm sure that will help her - and you - feel better.

Regarding the meter variance, last month I took Cinco to see an Endocrinologist that does a lot of research on diabetes in cats and dogs, and this is from my post after the appointment:
    "I asked about using human meters and he said that the lower the BG, the more accurate a human meter is. He said if you have a BG that is 50 or lower, they are spot on. 50-120, off by 5-6 points. 120-300, variance is around 20. 300 and up, the difference starts around 50 and keeps climbing!" It sounds like your experience was pretty similar. He didn't have a problem with my using a human meter, as long as I kept that info in mind.

Sending lots of healing vines and light for Sabrina's continued recovery. Hang in there. You have a lot of people pulling for you!

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See my signature link Glucometer Notes for some details about meters, accuracy, and feline reference ranges for various meters and measurement types.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.