2/14 Scrabble amps 366

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michelle & Scrabble (GA), Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

This is my first amps that I did myself so I will give myself a pat on the back! Was so fearful of home testing but it was pretty easy! When should I test again? I am off to bed and probably won't be up for at least 6 hours, should I do a test then?

2. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Congratulations!! :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

The very minimum for testing is before each shot...but in order to see how the insulin is acting in Scrabble's body, you need to test as often as you can in the beginning. You are looking to find Scrabble's nadir (low point) in the cycle...in some cats it's as early as +2 and some as late as +11. My cat Morris is usually between +7 and +9. If you look at his spreadsheet for yesterday, he was 38 at +6. Because I know when his usual nadir is, I knew that was too low because he had another couple of hours before his low point was due so I fed him, first low carb and then moved up to medium carb in order to keep him from going any lower.

On any day that you will be home, you could do a curve...this is where you test the cat every hour or every two hours between the two preshot tests. If you can't do it all in one day, then test say at +2 one day and +3 on another day, etc. so that eventually you may be able to see a pattern. Read the sticky called Becoming Data Ready to Shoot Lower Numbers http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=147 if you haven't already...explains better than I can. :mrgreen:

You're doing great!

3. Amy and Pedro

Amy and Pedro Member

Congrats on your first test. You'll be able to do them in your sleep (almost) soon.
    As you and Scrabble are new to this you are going to want to begin to gather data on your SS so you get an idea of how he responds over a 12 hr cycle. You should test when you get up and definetly test before you do your PM shot. The tests in between will show you which direction he is heading in and help determine dose adjustments . Many people also test right before they go to bed at night. Testing at different times will help you -over time-begin to see his pattern- when he begins to drop and when he begins to rise. When you have time take a look at some other SS and you will see patterns.
    Others with much more experience than I have will be on to coach you through~

Welcome

4. Sherry & Squirt (GA)

Sherry & Squirt (GA) Member

Great job Michelle !!
    Just stopping by to check on you two- I knew you could do it by yourself. Kuddos to getting spreadsheet fixed and Scabble's picture up altho he's such a handsome and loveable boy in person :mrgreen: Now get some well deserved rest and call if you need anything.

Happy Valentines Day to all!
    Sherry

ETA- please add that vet recommends a dental for scrabble in notes on spreadsheet or in profile so others are aware of it.

5. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Kudos to you for getting the home testing under your belt, doing them on your own. It won't belong before you feel like you can do them in your sleep. You are really off to a great start. Congrats!

:RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

Nice to see a photo! very cute!

6. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Well just tried to do a home test and was unsuccessful :? guess it will take time. I am going to try again in a little while when he is sleepy. I feel so bad to keep poking at him and his ears are red. Happy Valentine's Day!

7. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to LL Michelle.
    That is great news that you were able to test Scrabble yourself.
    You get pats on the back from us too.
    As you can see from many of the ss's here, a lot of poeple are "testahlics", lol.
    It is important now that you are starting to see where Scrabble goes during the day, although
    with most cats, every day can be different.
    The more data you have on Scrabble, the better it is in being able to dose him accordingly.
    There are many people that work so don't stress if you can't get "as many" as others do.

BTW, your Scrabble is a very handsome man!!!

8. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Gonna hopefully get his first pmps at 4pm. Still eating a lot and drinking, left out a little dry which he ate, but getting him on a feeding schedule.

9. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Well this is our 3rd full day on 1 unit of lantus. I am worried because his numbers are higher than yesterday. I am still not sure how all this works and would appreciate some help. I am trying to get the hang of the home testing. Ugh I feel so bad for the cat that I keep poking him. Tomorrow I will try and get a bg in the middle of the day. Do you think I need to increase the dose? I started giving him lantus on Friday at 4pm. His first test was at the vet on Friday morning before starting on lantus and it was 458 then. Help me to feel less stressed out!!! Should I still give him some dry food also? Pretty much strictly on cans but still a little dry and some regular treats

10. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi

how u doing?

first thing's first: getting the hang of home testing takes a little time and patience - so yes - u will be needing a bit more data in your spreadsheet - you've just started - give yourself some time to fill in the blanks and to get the hang of home testing. You will get it!

As others said, the more data the better to offer feedback on the dose - others will be along and watching your progress, so hang in there and just give yourself that time to learn.

Second, I know you were planning to ween Scrabble off the dry - this is still a good plan - keep at it - however, do keep in mind, the more dry Scrabble has - it will take a little longer to clear those high numbers. Again, take your time with the food transition. also, the less and less dry food he gets - you're monitoring of him should pick up. (ie: Bg testing)

Don't stress! We've all been there - and you will get the hang of it!

Lastly, have you picked up a ketostix box? You'll want to keep this handy to test the urine about every other day or so.

You're doing good! Keep at it and just a little patience :D

11. Pat and Skipper (GA)

Pat and Skipper (GA) Member

If he is willing to eat low carb wet food, stop giving the dry food which is driving his BG up.

Not time for a dose change yet. We hold a dose for 5 days to let it settle and to build the "shed". It's very important to always test before each shot to make sure that his BG is high enough for insulin and spot checks during the day will show you how the insulin is working.

You have only been at this for a coulple of days and you are doing great! Keep coming back with Scrabble's numbers and with any questions that you may have. It will all get easier.

12. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hi Michele,
    My, what a handsome fellow that Scrabble is!

It's great that you have your ss all set up and are starting to hometest. I don't know what all the others have said but it seems that the ears almost learn to bleed, so with time, they seem to bleed better. You may even find that one ear bleeds easier than the other, or one day the left is just not bleeding but the right is OK. Don't ask me why, but maybe someone else can explain it.

Please don't worry; before you know it, the testing you will be able to do in your sleep and many do just that! They set alarms, get up, test, then go back to bed!
    It's ok, you will be just fine.

About the time on the same dose, others will be better able to tell you what you should do, but I can say that some kitties take 6 or 7 cycles before their sheds get filled and their numbers start to change. The first few days, Scrabble's shed would be filling so while the shed is filling, not much insulin is getting used by Scrabble.
    I kind of think of the shed as the spare tank of gas in the trunk.

What is better to watch is how Scrabble is feeling. There are so many times when I am looking at Shadoe's numbers and worrying, but Shadoe is happy and purring and eating.

So look to Scrabble to tell you how he's doing. I bet he's feeling alot better now and will feel even better with each day.

13. Sherry & Squirt (GA)

Sherry & Squirt (GA) Member

Michelle,
    Are you still giving Scrabble the Firskies treats that he loves? This will also cause a rise- maybe try the bonita flakes or freeze dried instead :)
    Have you had a chance to try the ketostix i brought? Great job on getting pmps :)
    Sherry

14. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Michelle,

I haven't said Welcome to you yet, so Welcome!

Good job getting tests today. I agree that it's not time for a dose increase yet, you'll want to hold this dose for several days to let it settle in. There will be plenty of opportunities to be more aggressive later, if you want, but for right now Scrabble is just fine. :smile:

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

For now, get comfortable with home testing. Remember to give Scrabble a treat every time you test -- even if it's not a successful test. You want him to associate your poking him with treats. If you don't have a selection of low carb treats that Scrabble likes, let us know. (Pretty much anything crunchy isn't low carb.) A big part of testing is your being confident. Even those of us who test a lot have times when we have to poke more than once. You'll need to give Lantus about 5 - 7 days to settle in.

Just a suggestion... You mentioned that you started Lantus 3 days ago. Your spreadsheet begins 2 days ago. It would help if you put a note on your SS as to when Scrabble got his first shot. (A note in the comments would be fine.)

Scrabble is a cutie!

16. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Thanks everyone for making me feel better, I worry so much about my little man! Just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. I hate pricking his ears and seeing that they are red but hopefully we will both get used to that! I have not tried the ketostix yet (Sherry brought some for me), I have not been home too much this weekend and as you guys know it is hard to get the right time when he is in the box. I have another kitty named Sabrina and she uses the same box so not sure who is doing what! hahah! I do notice that Scrabble seems hungry a lot. Should I keep feeding him cans when he is hungry? I fed him almost no dry today, just a tiny bit and only a couple of treats. He does love the freeze dried treats so that is good! Is it ok to give him some lunch meat turkey? Thanks to all for checking on us and giving great advice!!! Gotta set my alarm to test and give shot!

17. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Most diabetic kitties are ravenous until they get better regulated on insulin. It's the nature of the disease. Because the pancreas isn't producing insulin on it's own, nutrients (In the form of glucose) isn't moving into the cells where it can be used. As a result, many cats lose weight before they are diagnosed. Despite eating, they aren't metabolizing food effectively. So, feed Scrabble if he's hungryi! Once he's been on insulin for a while and his numbers start to level out more, his appetite will begin to decrease.

Testing for ketones in a multi-cat family where the kitties share their litter boxes is challenging. I have to stalk Gabby to the LB and slide the strip into her urine stream. It seems to be a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

18. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

AAhhhhgggg... just tried to get an amps and was unsuccessful! Made his poor ear all red and then he wouldn't let me touch either one of them! I feel so bad! It makes me so frustrated! I will try again later when I wake up. Damn this does get easier right? I feel when I start to turn the corner I go back.

19. Pat and Skipper (GA)

Michelle, when you come back, start a new thread for Scrabble 2/15 . We start a new thread each day so that the most current post doesn't get buried.

Testing will get easier. It is imperative to get an AMPS and PMPS. Shooting without knowing the BG level could lead to an overdose and that is dangerous.

It helps to have a specific testing/shot location. Any bench, table, counter would do and it is much easier to work on the cat when they are up off the floor.

Are you using a lancing device? If so, it may need adjustment to prick better. I prick freehand, holding the lancet at a 45 degree level with the bevel facing up. Sometimes 2 quick, firm pricks in the same spot help to produce more blood. Also, I would not use ultra thin [30 -31gauge] lancets. They are too puny. You should get better results with 26-28 gauge.

Also, try to not let Scrabble sense your anxiety. Pet him, praise him, give him a treat no matter how successful or dismal the test was. It will get better.

20. Pat and Skipper (GA)

21. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Thanks Pat for the good advice! I am using the ultra thin lancets. I will try bigger one's then if they get better results. Scrabble was just done with me this morning and did not want to be touched so what could I do? He is great with getting his shots though, thank God!

22. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

When Tess gets restless at test time I just sit with her for a couple of minutes, petting her maybe giving a treat. Make a point of messaging the ears at other times too, so he is used to to touching him like that and doesn't necessarily link it to getting pricked.

I had a hard time w/ the lancet pen too, so I do it by hand. I have more control that way, but I do use the smaller gauges. I like the BD Ultra Fine 30 Gauge Lancets . I've used other 30 gauge and she seems to feel them more. As long as I see just a little blood I keep the rice sock under the ear and stroke toward the prick, the bead of blood will come up. Hardest part is keeping her from shaking her head. :lol:

It does get easier, soon you'll be an official member of the vampire club. :twisted:

Do start a new thread (condo)with the AMPS every day to get more attention to your posts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.