2/14 Shadoe pmps 356 +5 191 cycle 4 8u

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Blue, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Yesterday’s Condo

Yesterday's recap:
    466 - amps
    421 - +2
    355 - +9
    365 - pmps
    283 - +3
    364 - +10
    364 - today's amps

Boy, talk about an uneventful day! I was out for alot of it, got alot accomplished, while Shadoe went about her normal cat business.

Shadoe was sleeping with me at amps, and she had already done her smelly deposit in the LB.
    I don't think I will every have problems with any shots so long as I have a nice supply of Pure Snacks to follow. Shadoe goes right to the bag of snacks and does her hunting dog impression by standing still with her nose pointing direct at, and sometimes on, the bag. She knows full well that they come after the shot, but she still tries for before.
    Test and shot went well, and after her reward snack, she went to her catnip plant next. I have seen her lick her lips the odd time, but since everything else is fine, and she is even purring more now, but no meatloaf look, I have not given any pepcid. I'll just keep an eye on her for now.
    After the catnip nibble, Shadoe ate about 1/3 can of SophCat country style dinner and for dessert 1/4 of SophCat chicken cacciatore YUM! That dessert is her MC 13-carb treat. I figure she is forced to eat enough foods that are 0 - 4% carbs all the time, and she's not one to register a tiny bit higher carbs in her numbers (a Mac truck could not move her numbers), it's our compromise. Let me tell you, that is one dish that could go right back into the cupboard when she is done with that .75oz of yummy.
    And she comes over to meow her thank you after too! Ok, ok, it's likely something like 'hey bean, gimme more of that decent food!', but until she speaks my language, I am taking it as a sweet thank you for the Valentine's day treat. :D

Alrighty, now. First, thanks to jojo again for good advice and guidance on our upcoming changes.
    I will have more news on the tests arrangement mid-week, and I will have a crate of fresh boxes of strips to test till her ears fall off, plus I will have the R on hand to begin on Friday nite. When I get home around pmps, I will be able to stay home clear through to Sunday morning. That should give me plenty of time to do curves, ones with the hourly testing.
    If all goes well, I will take Shadoe in to the vet on the 22nd or 23rd for blood draw to ship off for the tests. I suppose the results will take a couple weeks to get back to me, but at least they will be done.

I am open to suggestions for injection sites for the R since it can't be the same as the Lantus.
    We have always gone for the scruff and Shadoe is totally used to that location. I don't think she feels the shots at all, but wonder if the R will be the same. How far apart do the two sites need to be?
    What if I did left side for R and right side for Lantus, but all the scruff general area?
    Also, does it matter which is done first? I would think I can do Lantus first, then follow right after with R, just in case she does not like the R shot. I hate to think about chasing her around to catch her after the R shot, to give her the Lantus shot. And yes, I DO always make things more difficult by stressing over the most trifling details.
    If anyone has any other tips or suggestions relating to R, they would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 2/14 Shadoe +10 364 amps 364 cycle 4 8u

Glad u got all that good info yesterday for Shadoe.
    And she's sounding very good this morning, despite the numbers, always remember that.

have a good day Gayle :D

3. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Gayle,

It sounds like there is going to be a lot going on in your house in coming weeks. Lucky Shadoe to have such a devoted bean! I hope the rest of your weekend is uneventful and calm. Unless Shadpe wants to throw you a green or two, just for the heck of it. Except for the parties, of course. :)

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You do have plenty of time to get all of the info you need on R. But, just in case, keep track of your questions, especially if you think of more, and toward the end of the week, put a note in your subject line. Carolyn/Spot is one of the more experienced beans with R and you could always PM her and ask her to reply in your condo.

5. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Hi Gayle, glad to see you're working on a plan! :)

Injection sites.. I shoot scruff, very close to the base of his head because he's more sensitive back towards his shoulders. Most importantly, I shoot in 2 places with one dose of Levemir. I should probably be using 2 syringes for his dose but I don't, he doesn't move when I'm shooting him so I get away with loading the dose in one syringe. Shoot one side of his scruff about 1/2 the insulin, then the other side with the other half, usually keep the two shot sites at least 3" apart. Lorna is doing her shots in 3 locations, very successfully. See if it works for you, and don't forget to note in your SS when you started doing it so you can track improvements or failures. :)

When I am shooting R I shoot it right in the middle of his scruff, with Levemir on either side. It's not too technical but it works for Leo. LOL

6. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Valentines Day Gayle, Shadoe and Booboo.

Nice to hear Shadoe is feeling and acting well and that
    She doesn't need the pepcid.

I know you are not loving the numbers but you have great plans
    for the week.

7. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

OK now I am very happy to know the injections sites; I was very concerned about keeping everything separate if needed. And I did not want to venture to her sides because she does not have loose anything; she is a seriously rock hard solid cat, and I cringe to think of spots far from the scruff.

Thanks Carolyn,
    So 1/2 the insulin on the left, the other half on the right, and the R will be smack dab in the middle. I think I will just use the one syringe for the insulin because it will be easier to measure.
    I don't have to think about 2 syringes or the insulin until we are approaching 30u.
    UGH, what an ugly thought that is! I will perish for now, and hopefully won't have to visit it again.

I am feeling much better now that we have a plan in motion, and even Shadoe seems to be feeling better. She's been kicking around her toys more, and demanding more brushings.

Lydia, I know green is nice, but I would be completely :shock: if I were to get any greens. I am happy with yellows, and thrilled if we saw a blue, but green? Nope, not gonna happen yet.

As I was out, I will get just a +9 (Ronnie's favorite) and then her pmps. I wonder if I'll get another 364 :lol:

I hope all the kitties and beans are having fantastic Valentine's days today.
    :YMHUG: for all.

8. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

You are doing very well Gayle....you have a good plan in place and you are getting such wonderful ideas from so many great people. This board is SO great, isn't it?

So, Shadoe is a lucky little girl to have such a dedicated and smart Mama! Of course, all she cares about is the food and brushings....but she is feeling better and she will soon be even better than that!! Yay!!~happy dance~ dancing_cat

Keep up the fantastic job Gayle! :thumbup
    Hope you all have a Happy Valentine's day !!

9. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 2/14 Shadoe +10 364 amps 364 +9 365 cycle 4 8u

I can't believe I joked about getting another 364; close - 365 haha_smiley :shock:

I don't think Shadoe could get any flatter, and I honestly don't think I missed much during the day, I really don't.

I think we will see better numbers once we can toss a few drops of R into the picture.
    I can hardly wait for the weekend now.

10. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

between the R and the split dose i think you will start seeing better action.
    only caution is, if you are going to do the R in the scruff, make sure you do that every time. the scruff is the least absorbent part of the body for insulin so shooting outside the scruff would probably get the R hitting harder.

11. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris,
    Now what are the alternate locations and knowing how Shadoe's numbers are, would you suggest another spot, when and why.

I had understood that the scruff was slower acting, but since Lantus was never lasting too long, I figured why speed it up so that she comes down sooner only to pop up higher way before the next shot.

I am just picturing a graph where she comes down from pink to yellow/blue sooner than it takes for the Lantus to start working, then once R is wearing off, the Lantus can take over and she can surf along at a much lower level.

I am likely thinking too far ahead but nobody has mentioned when I would NOT give her any R shot. Again, I am guessing that if the ps is below a certain value, there is no need for R to bring her down lower, but I don't know what that value is.

Anyways, for now, if you could let me know of other shot spots for R and also explain why I must pick a spot and stick to it. I'd really like to get it right and know why I am getting it right!

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

12. Carolyn and Spot

For now don't give any R under 300. Later you can fine tune that as you see her response to it. When I was heavily dosing R, I didn't shoot it under 250, but I had gobs of data before I shot it that low. Now I don't use R unless I see two consecutive preshots in the 300s.

Shoot R in the scruff. No need to shoot it anywhere else but there. I also shoot the entire basal dose there because IMO it's a large amount of insulin and I worry about discomfort.

13. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 2/14 Shadoe amps 364 +9 365 pmps 356 cycle 4 8u

It seems that Shadoe likes only a few numbers today: 364, 365, and 356.
    I wonder what she will do this evening.

Shadoe's really relaxed tonite and oh so happy - oblivious to her numbers and apparently could care less about them. I suppose that's a good thing though.

14. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Good Evening Shadoe!!!

You are one flat kitty. Do you like pancakes? Latkes? Frittatas? :lol:

Wishing you a flat week Shadoe (well, not really, but I think that's what you're going to give whether we like it or not!). Gayle, wishing you increased brain power to absorb and process all the information you are gathering! Wow. Reading your condo makes my head spin! :dizcat It has also given me a new appreciation and respect for what so many mama/daddy beans are doing for their precious kitties.

15. KT & Buckwheat

KT & Buckwheat Member

Hi Gayle and Shadoe,

Kate asked us to stop by and say hello (we haven't been here for awhile). Looks like Shadoe will be going for the Acroa and IAA test. Buckwheat is an Acro cat and also has pancreatitis which I see by your profile that Shadoe has had a run in with that too.

A little about Buckwheat:

Acro DX 3/26/2009 IGF-1 Result = 196

Although the test was positive for Acromegaly, the vet and the lab vet did not think it was high enough for him to be considered an Acro cat. That being said, he definitely has highs and lows dependent on the amount of growth hormones going through his system. That accounts for his sometimes erratic BG numbers and the constant need to monitor and modify his insulin dose.

Buckwheat does not know that he's an Acro cat and he doesn't care. He just knows that he's special and gets lots of attention. Knowing the result is just another piece of the puzzle in the toolkit to fight these ugly health issues.

As far as physical changes, he's been a large cat with a big head and paws from the time he was born. We have not recognized any significant physical changes since the DX and we have not had him retested.

We do use R (started 8/15/09). jojo guided us through the process, starting with lots of testing as +1, +2, +3, +4 to see how Buckwheat would react. We took it from there and slowly started adjusting our R scale (see the Current R Scale tab and Other R Scales tab in his SS). These were developed with jojo's guidance and studying other R user's SSs.

As far as where to shoot, we rotate both sides of the body using the shoulder, mid-side and flank — we call them upper, middle and lower. Example, AMPS — left upper — shoot Lev first then move 1/2 inch to 1 inch from Lev shot and shoot R. At +5 or 6 (if necessary) use the upper location again but try to keep away from earlier shot sites. PMPS — right upper and follow the same routine from the AMPS. The next day move to the left middle and so on. Hope this is clearer than mud and that you get the idea. Shooting the R is scary at first but when you see the results it's well worth the anxiety it may produce in the beginning.

Good luck with the tests and everything else you are going through. We'll be thinking of you and wishing the best for Shadoe!

16. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I guess Shadoe has decided that I am not going to bed early tonite.

I was already in bed, watching some Olympics and she kept coming into the bedroom and YELLING at me. Then when I got up, she would run to the test spot.
    After she did this 3 times, and just to shut her up and give her a treat, we tested her. Wouldn't you know it? She jumps from pinks into blue. :YMSIGH:

I guess that means I'll test again tonite.

17. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Well what do you know about that? BLUE!

18. Carolyn and Spot

How pretty!! Yay for Blue!!

19. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

sorry, been off the board all day. just thinking if you're going to shoot in the scruff, you'll be doing an hourly test to see how it hits shadoe. if you switched to a more absorbent spot (normally that means it brings the BG levels lower when you shoot there instead of the scruff which is less absorbent) you might see quite different results so it seems safer that if you're going to work the scruff to stay there. [unless you want to do an hourly reading shooting elsewhere as well to see the difference. no sense confusing things so i'd just pick one general location and stick to it so you have more predictability. later you might want to fine tune by seeing if you can get better numbers by shooting elsewhere but right now the simpler the better til you see how shadoe responds to R in the scruff.]

i won't advise on R shooting (the whens and the BGs) because i don't use it. i could only quote earlier posts on it and you have live advisors with real R experience to help you instead. i do have some R instructions bookmarked that i think carolyn and jojo put together if you're ever in a bind. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.