2/15, Boomer, AM-70, first full day of dose decrease

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Traci and Boomer, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi All-

I've had a couple tough days with Boomer; he's not been himself. It started with puking - a lot more than usual. "Usual" is an occasional puke here and there - this was different - a couple times in one day and a bigger amount. He's not been as perky either - not terrible, but not himself. He has IBD and used to have CP, so I tried pepsid and it seems to have kicked in! Thank God, because he normally attacks his food OR eats some and whines for something "better" but the last couple days, not much of an interest which is a concern. This morning he was still a little blah. I heated up his food and bingo - that was the answer for that moment. Then I went shopping and got him some chicken appetizers - and he wolfed it down. :D What a relief!

The new dose is going well so far! I hope he holds it.
    AM-70
    +3-57
    +5-69

2. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear Boomer is acting a little more like himself today. It's worrisome when they're off and you don't know why.

Great start to the dose reduction! Hope it continues. :)

3. Traci and Boomer

Re: 2/15, Boomer, AM-70, +7.5-50!!!

OMG nailbite_smile
    What's going on? He's eaten today - a pouch, an appetizer and 1/3 can FF. Now he's 50. It's good but nerve-wracking. Not sure what's going on. Decided randomly to test him and was very surprised. Opened a can on HC beef with gravy - he didn't want it. Put on some parm - nothing. Grrr. Then I tried cooked chicken heated up. Nope. Then a new Friskies green can- Elegent Melody's or something -probably HC and he ate that. Thank God I'm home today. This is scary. Tomorrow I'm back to work. No symptoms to tell me what's bothering him - just being incredibly fussy. He'll still eat his HC treats (kitty crack)

I will need some dosing help tonight. I have no idea what's happening with him.

4. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

I'm glad you are home too! I don't have any advice to offer you, I'm sorry. :( Have you tried sprinkling freeze-dried treats on top of food to get him to eat? Some also swear by Bonito flakes. You can apparently buy them at an Asian food market or elsewhere. I haven't tried them due to Buzz's fish allergy (they are dried fish of some kind, maybe salmon?) but about a month or so ago, someone wrote about them here and got all kinds of replies saying that yep, their kitties went nuts over them too.

Maybe change your subject line to reflect his #s today and your concern/need for dosing help tonight.

5. Traci and Boomer

Re: 2/15, Boomer, AM-70, +7.5-50, +9-85 neeed PM dosing help

Hi Everyone-

It's been a weird two days. Boomer's ear is pretty beat up so since he's not in a dangerous zone I'm only going to test 2 more times until PMPS. Is anyone out there who can give me some advice on what to give him tonight? I'm a bit freaked out by two 50's in the last two days.

Sarah-I've heard of the flakes too. I hesitated to buy them because I thought maybe fish foods contributed to Boomer's puking. But then again, he's puked a few times and he's not had fish, so maybe not. Perhaps I'll give them a shot. I also need some freeze-dried treats. He doesn't love them but will eat them.

6. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 2/15, Boomer, AM-70, +7.5-50, +9-85 neeed PM dosing help

oh my Boomer doing so good Traci!! What a pretty ss! And good job yesterday Traci!

Freeze dried treats are the best!
    You got neosporin for the ears? might help soothe them.
    If u can grab a +11 and post, we'll see where Boomer might be headed. Are u home tonight?

7. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

have you been able to get a ketones test in lately? I'm concerned about dropping the dose too much if Boomer isn't eating well.

8. Amy and Pedro

Amy and Pedro Member

Just stopped by to see how the day went with such a nice AM number. Got a bit exciting for a while but seems to be doing pretty darn well.
    Hope his eating gets better.

9. Traci and Boomer

Re: 2/15, Boomer, AM-70, +11-65

Ladies! Thanks for popping over to our condo. I can't believe he's only at 65. He IS eating today, just being picky. He's since eaten some food I put out earlier with turkey bites in it. I bought him some turkey tonight and he's eating it.

Question: DO I need to WAIT til PM to feed him?

Lucy-I've never done a ketone test on Boomer and I don't think the vet did when he was diagnosed either. His litterbox is inside a rattan box thingy. That will be a challenge.

Sarah-I got some flakes, they are Petco tuna flakes, that's all they had. We'll see what happens.

Any idea on tonight's shot?

10. Ronnie & Luna

try to avoid giving any food servings till PMPS time...if he fusses, try a little treat, I use to actually give like 1/4 of food if the fuss was unbearable lol - oh the memories :lol: but it was only under extreme whinee-ness - but try to hold off if u can! ...Boomer is killin' it with these numbers Traci!! Oh yea!!

hang on for ur Dose Q feedback!

11. Ronnie & Luna

BUMP AMPS +11 / 65

Traci - I think it's coming up for PMPS time yes?

just getting a couple questions out of the way - in case someone needs to know ASAP

how much can u stall if needed?
    are u in to monitor?

12. Traci and Boomer

Re: 2/15, Boomer, PM/60

Hi-

Yes, I'll be home. I am feeding him - I don't feel comfortable giving him the full dose at 60 - I've never shot this low. What about a drop?

Should I go out and get the ketone stick things?

13. Ronnie & Luna

wow!! whhooohoo!

ok let's get this PMPS number in ur first post's subject line, waiting for feedback..hang on

14. Traci and Boomer

Re: 2/15, Boomer, PM/60

Hi Ronnie -

I don't understand why the subject line can't be changed - it's so annoying! I put it on my last answer and this one.

I gave him food but he only have a couple bites if that. I've not started the parm and the nutritional yeast yet, so I'll wait until I hear back.

He peed outside the litterbox (missed) so I can test this for ketones, right? Does it matter if it's a half hour old?

15. Ronnie & Luna

mmm, I'm pretty sure the urine has to be fresh, like fresh fresh lol

ok, dont worry about the subject line, how long can u stall? can u get a retest on the BG?

16. Traci and Boomer

Hi Ronnie-

I'm so glad ur out there; it doesn't seem like anyone else is around. I can stall until 8:30 - that's the latest I can leave for work tomorrow. Thanks for sticking with me. Where is everyone?

17. Libby and Lucy

I'm not comfortable shooting the full dose if you can't trust him to eat, but I'm also not comfortable skipping completely. How long can you stall tonight and still be able to shoot 12 hours from then in the morning?

eta: ok, you can stall til 8:30, so another 1/2 hour. Can you test again then and see where he is?

18. Ronnie & Luna

prob shooting their own kitties! lol

here ya go - here's Libby!

WHAT LIBBY SAID!! :D

19. Traci and Boomer

I will test at 8:25 and then post, so I can shoot by 8:30. Poor B. His ear is a mess. What a trooper.

Libby- what about the keytone thing? He peed outside the litterbox and I didn't clean it yet - can I test that pee for ketones? I need to do a little more research on ketones - I dont really understand what they are besides BAD.

20. Libby and Lucy

I think the urine has to be fresh, sorry. You can try but it probably won't be accurate. Does he often pee outside the box or is this unusual?

Ketones aren't all that common when the cat is in low numbers, but it's possible. If they're not eating, not getting enough insulin for whatever their current needs are, and there is an infection, ketones can form quickly. We don't usually find out about the infection until later, so it's always a good bet when a cat isn't eating well to step up the ketone testing.

21. Traci and Boomer

Re: 2/15, Boomer, PM/60, + 30 mins/84

Wow - that's an increase. What do you think? Can I bcs?

22. Traci and Boomer

To answer your litterbox question - no, he doesn't often pee outside of it. I just happened to see some tonight. I think he aimed wrong. :oops: :lol:

23. Libby and Lucy

if you're not comfortable shooting the whole dose, I'm ok with a BCS of 0.1 for tonight.

Keep an eye on the pee situation, if it looks like he accidentally went over the side that's one thing, but often if they miss on purpose that can mean they're uncomfortable and need to go to the vet. That could explain the feeling yucky.

24. Traci and Boomer

Okay- is .1 a drop?

25. Libby and Lucy

26. Traci and Boomer

Okay-that's what I did.
    He ate his dinner; not all at once, but he ate it. I think he wants more, so I'm gonna see what I can do. Thanks for your help tonight! nailbite_smile

27. Ronnie & Luna

it'll be ok traci - chiil-ax! lol!!
    lets start with a +1 test when u can.
    :mrgreen:

28. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

First, to change a subject line, you need to change the subject line in your first post of the day. It's the only subject line that's visible to the Board. So if you need help, you need to edit the first post.

Ketones: Ketones are naturally around in miniscule amounts (trace or less). Normally, the body's primary source of energy is glucose. In diabetes, there's an insufficient amount of insulin available to convert food to glucose which then fuels the body because glucose isn't able to get into the cells -- that's the job of insulin. As a result of not having its normal and best source of fuel, the body begins to burn fat. This metabolism of fat produces fatty acids which are then converted into ketones. This entire process changes the pH of the blood (i.e., there is a state of diabetic ketoacidosis). There are associated alterations in electrolyte (e.g., potassium, phosphorus, bicarbonate) levels, respiratory changes (acetone smell), and glucose spilling into the urine. This latter situation is involved in creating a state of dehydration and further sets up a vicious cycle which can lead to coma and death. For more info, see this Wikipedia link.

29. Traci and Boomer

Hi Sienne-

Thanks for telling me how to change the subject line so it works!

Thanks also for the ketone info. Do I really need to be concerned with this? What type of situation does the cat need to be in for this to happen? Do I need to get the sticks? I can get them tomorrow night if its important.

30. Traci and Boomer

31. Ronnie & Luna

sweet!! :mrgreen:

Go Boomer!!

32. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

What a day you've had! And the not eating part I can totally relate to....Morris didn't eat for about a month....I would have stood on my head if I thought it would help (it doesn't). flip_cat

Here's hoping the lower dose keeps him in a good range and everything will be OK. cat_pet_icon

33. Traci and Boomer

Thanks Brenda. Not eating or him being picky or whatever drives me crazy. It's like you're helpless. I'd rather have an overweight cat than one who doesn't want to eat!!!

34. Traci and Boomer

PM + 2/100
    Oh, well. Goodbye green. It was bound to happen.

35. Ronnie & Luna

hey - dont be so quick to kiss the :mrgreen: 's away...heee hee,,,u still got "onset" coming up...heee heee
    Go Boomer show mom where's is at!

36. Traci and Boomer

Yes, you are right - but onset with .1 ???? I wonder if anything will even happen? I'm going to sleep now and I'm not prickin' him even though I know you'd love me to. :eek: I feel bad for the guy. He's been pricked more in the past two days than ever before. BTW- he's in the weirdest place right now. I had to move this huge conch shell I have to make room for my Valentine's flowers and had no where to put it so it's sitting on the floor in a random place. Boomer's laying on the floor sleeping with his touching it :lol: . A little odd. Maybe he needs a beach vacation too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.