2/15 Tinkerbell Rash Update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DD & Tinkerbell, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DD & Tinkerbell

DD & Tinkerbell Well-Known Member

Hi everybody - thanks for the input & info on the previous threads.

Tink seems to be doing really well I think. The sores on her face are drying up and she is not digging at herself quite so much. The one on her throat still seems to be a problem & not drying up as fast but the others look good and i don't think it is spreading. we go back to vet this coming wednesday.

She has seemed to not want to eat as much on the Clavamox, but I crush it up & mix it in w/her food together with her lysine which the vet said it was ok to keep giving her so maybe that just makes her food taste funny. she ate better today.

sometime during the night or this morning was the first time she has thrown up since starting the clavamox, but i gave her mixed grill instead of turkey for supper last night, so maybe that had s/thg to do with that. This morning she is back on the turkey friskies for breakfast, no problem so far.

She acts like she feels better, not so much like her "this itching is driving me crazy" of a week ago. I would like to avoid treating this with steroids if at all possible.

Neither the meds nor the rash have seemed to affect her #s, thank goodness, she was at 87 this morning.

2. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

So glad she seems to be doing better and her numbers are staying great. What a great update.
    I did want to add that my civie, Phoebe, stopped eating the mixed grill for me. Don't know if they changed it or what, so that was interesting to read about Tink.

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

I stopped the Mixed Grill after Vinnie threw up on it and then got sick. He used to love it but IMHO something changed. DD, I cannot find a reason in my Plumb's vet drug book but I have always been told never to crush a Clavamox tab. Has to be given whole. Any chance of you just putting it down Tink's throat and then give the food or chase it with water?

4. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

Desi, so good to see such a good update on Tinkerbell!! And she kept her numbers down to boot! Yay! I hope she continues to improve and will be fully back to her old self soon!

5. DD & Tinkerbell

DD & Tinkerbell Well-Known Member

Hope, I am very grateful for the input. I can pill Tinkerbell the Clavamox if necessary it was just easier to crush it. However I googled "is is okay to crush a clavamox tablet for a cat" & found this, written by a vet, Dr. Lisa Pierson, http://www.catinfo.org/?link=pillingcats

In part, the info on that site re this reads:

"Another option is to see if the cat or dog will consume the pill if it is hidden in canned food. This is obviously the least stressful for all concerned but it usually works better with dogs. Cats are notoriously picky eaters and are suspicious of anything out of the ordinary in their food. Some drugs such as Clavamox tablets and Baytril TasteTabs are formulated to be fairly palatable and can be crushed and put in the food and this is a great way to go....if the cat will eat it. I have had better luck with cats eating crushed Clavamox tablets (tasteless) in food than I have with the Baytril TasteTabs. I have treated many feral (wild) cats with clavamox crushed and mixed into food.)"

But what I really found interesting was what followed, many of you probably already know this, I sure didn't & I think the clindamycin was the 2nd choice Dr. Penton gave me the other day when she wanted to start Tink on the antibiotics before resorting to steroids, albiet it was liquid form. Sure glad I chose the Clavamox. Hope, if you do find that info about not crushing the clavamox in your Plumb's vet drug book please post it.

This the stuff on the clindamycin & deaths in cats that I stumbled upon when searching the crushed Clavamox issue:

"Please note the following case study where another antibiotic, clindamycin (Antirobe), also resulted in severe injury - and some deaths - to the patients:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suspected clindamycin-associated oesophageal injury in cats: five cases

Journal of Feline Medicine & Surgery, Volume 8, Issue 6, December 2006, Pages 412-419
    Julia A. Beatty BSc(hons), BVetMed, PhD, FACVSc (Feline Medicine), MRCVS, Nigel Swift BVetMed, Dip ACVIM (Small Animal Internal Medicine), MRCVS, Darren J. Foster BSc, BVMS, PhD, FACVSc (Feline Medicine) and Vanessa R.D. Barrs BVSc(hons), MVetClinStud, FACVSc (Feline Medicine)

Accepted 24 April 2006. Available online 18 July 2006.
    Summary

The clinical findings, treatment and outcome of suspected clindamycin-associated oesophageal injury in five cats are reported. All cats were treated with one 75 mg clindamycin capsule twice daily (dose range 12–19 mg/kg). Capsules were administered without food or a water bolus. Dysphagia, regurgitation, choking or gagging were seen 3–9 days after starting clindamycin. On oesophagoscopy, three cats had oesophagitis, one of which progressed to stricture formation. Two cats had an oesophageal stricture at first presentation. This is the first report of suspected clindamycin-associated oesophageal injury in cats. It serves to further alert practitioners to the potential for drug-induced oesophageal disorders (DIOD) in cats treated with oral medications and to urge prevention by promoting a change in dosing practices.
    End abstract.

Personally, I have dealt with 3 cats that have died post-pilling with clindamycin (Antirobe) tablets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please note this excerpt from the study quoted below:

"After 5 minutes 84% of capsules and 64% of tablets are still sitting in the esophagus." This is referring to pills and capsules that were dry swallowed."

Maybe I will go ahead and just pill Tink's Clav anyway just to be safe.

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I crushed the Antirobe and added it to J.D.'s food, and he ate it fine.
    I'm glad Tinkerbell is healing.

7. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Desi, the issue with clindamycin can happen with any pill or capsule that is dry pilled, ie no water chaser. It can cause erosive esophagitis. Clindamycin/Antirobe comes in a liquid form as well which probably would not do that.

Glad Tink is healing up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.