2/16 Tommy has a bladder infection and a cavity :(

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cori and Tommy, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cori and Tommy

Cori and Tommy Member

So finally got Tommy into the vet because he wouldn't stop spraying (still!). Turns out he has a bladder infection AND a cavity, poor thing. Also, the vet noticed there were some red blood cells and little fat droplets in his urine so she wants to check his kidneys too. Ack.

So I have him on 2 weeks of antibiotics now, and then I have to wait a week after they are done before taking him in to check his urine again and also do some blood work to see how his kidneys are doing, as well as a pre-screening for the dental work he will need done. I just hope his kidneys are ok!

He seems to be eating ok with the antibiotics mixed in. I can tell he doesn't like it as much because he eats a lot slower and doesn't finish it all right away, but all it takes is me walking over like I'm going to take away his dish and he runs over and gobbles up the rest. He's too easy heehee I swear he'll eat anything!

I updated his ss, his numbers are doing good :) I'm down to just checking every morning, I think I will continue to check his bg while all this medical work is going on. One thing I noticed when updating it though is that he started spraying the next day after I started the miralax. Coincidence I guess? I can't think of a reason they would be connected, but it is odd....

Also, I just have to share a cute story. I dropped Tommy at the vet in the morning so hopefully he would pee sometime during the day before the afternoon vet appt. Well, Tommy decided NOT to pee and not only that he got a little (ok, a LOT) angry in his cage and wouldn't let anyone near him. They couldn't even get him out with a towel AND super duty gloves. Oh my. So they called to tell me the situation, and sadly I wasn't surprised ha. What was cute is when they took me back, they lifted off the towel over his cage and he started hissing etc. but when I walked over and opened the cage door his demeanor completely changed and he ran over and practically lept into my arms! So I just carried him over to a table and calmed him down and they were able to extract urine with a needle while I was petting underneath his chin. He can be so grumpy sometimes I forget that he actually loves me haha my heart melted :)

2. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Aww, sorry about the bladder infection and cavity. But I loved the way Tommy jumped into your arms at the vets and became so calm, now that is true love, and very sweet. It is such a cute story and I enjoy hearing stuff like that, too funny!

I hope he feels better soon.

3. Holly and Pablo

Holly and Pablo Member

Lucky! Pablo doesn't behave any better if I'm standing there cooing at him like a doofus and rubbing his chin at the same time. He just looks more frustrated and refuses to make eye contact! Hahahaha.

Hopefully that awful spraying will stop now!

4. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad to see they got the needle out. Waiting for a cat to pee is not a good method of urine collection as it can be contaminated. So your cat is pretty smart! Sorry to hear about the infection. Antibiotics can make cats a little inappetant so you might have to get creative with feeding. If you have trouble, post on Health, and you'll get tons of ideas. :)

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

aww poor Tommy! But I'm glad you got him in and on meds - at least BG numbers doing good and he's on the mend.
    I agree, visit the health forum for tips and advise.

Feel better soon Tommy kitty! (((Cori)) keep us posted ok?

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Poor Tommy! I hope he starts to feel better quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.