2/17 - Harley - Bouncing Question - AMPS 436

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by RobinHarley, Feb 17, 2019.

1. RobinHarley

RobinHarley Member

When does bouncing stop?

I know most likely - when his body gets use to the low numbers. But it seems like after a week I have to keep raising dosage because his nadir is still above 150. At the same time it seems are bouncing is getting more frequent and I don't like this.

He is continually in the 400s in the AM - High 300s during the day - and then in the evening we see the low numbers, but only for a bit because his body is taking it as too low and bouncing him.

I feel bad for him, this cannot be fun at all. It also makes me not want to raise it anymore in fear the bouncing will just get worse.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Unfortunately bouncing is part of the process. Each cat is different (ECID) on when they stop bouncing and how high they bounce. I know it seems backwards, but increasing the dose can help with bouncing because it will get Harley's body used to lower numbers. I've seen other people not increase to try and stop the bouncing and their cat just stayed in higher numbers overall. The best thing you can do is follow the guidelines and increase when the numbers tell you to. It will take time, but Harley will get there. I can see progress with Harley's SS. I see less red and more blues and yellows. We have saying around here that this is a marathon and not a sprint. Hang in there.

RobinHarley likes this.
  3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It doesn't look to me like Harley is bouncing more than he was previously. I just don't think you've found his "good" dose yet.

RobinHarley likes this.
  4. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

My Ravan is still a bouncer after 1 year! ( Some kitties will always bounce) I joined Feb 17,2018. I started with Lantus insulin. Some kitties that bounce respond well to Levemir so I switched last July.
    Ravan, over time, started twitching when I gave his shot of Lantus. Lantus is acidic & can sting when injected. Levemir is Neutral & does not sting. In the beginning I gave the shot in the scruff but I did a Fur shot. I switched to shooting in his side.
    He's black so I spread his fur till I see white skin & put the needle at an angle just under his skin Since I switched to Levemir he no longer twitches Doesn't even seem to notice the shot at all! I also use less insulin. He still bounces but has improved.

When I switched to Levemir I was told to give a third less insulin.He went from 1.25 units of Lantus to .75 of Levemir. For a while I kept dropping the dose till his body got used to the Levemir. He's been at 1 unit pretty much consistently.
    You can check out his SS from 2018 when I switched.

I also use a Human meter Relion Prime & follow TR method.
    Harley's #'s look a bit better on 3.25 units Like Sienne said,I just don't think you've found his "good" dose yet.

Has Harley ever had Kibble,dry food? I saw he got into cereal.

I have seen cats here go into remission when all dry food was eliminated, that's why I'm asking if he gets any dry food.

I wish you the best of luck with Harley! Here's some good info & a pic of how to get the blood from their ear http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/testing-and-shooting-tips.85113/

RobinHarley likes this.
  5. RobinHarley

RobinHarley Member

Thank you, I always try to remember this! I just get defeated feeling sometimes like it is something I am doing... and that is the last thing I want to do is hinder my Harley man from getting better.

Before we were diagnosed Harley was on dry kibble but once we were diagnosed he was off of the kibble after about 3 weeks I believe and hasn't had it since. Since November of 2018 Friskies Pate is what he eats now.

Thank you! I will use this for my pet sitter - we've been having trouble because she is fine giving him his shot but cannot seem to draw blood to test him before hand and with our dosages going up I am 100% not comfortable having her shoot him without a BG first.

JoyBee&Ravan likes this.
  6. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

RobinHarley likes this.