2.17 Magnolia AMPS 303

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sara & Magnolia, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

WCR: She's acting a bit off today. She was not hungry at all, I had to put salmon dust on her food and then coax her into the kitchen with a treat. Now that she understands the timed feeder, she usually goes running as soon as she hears it. Normally, I call her to her spot to get her BG and she jumps right up. Today she just stared at me. It took a great deal of begging on my part to get her to cooperate. Other than playing/prancing, and preening, neither of which she has done this morning, the other 3 P's are good.

I did 2 AMPS checks, the first was 303, same as +11, so I decided to check again with a different batch of strips, that reading was 352.

Any ideas? I don't think I have to take her to the vet, but I wouldn't want to miss an obvious sign.

ETA:
    Yesterday's Condo

Yesterday's Recap
    AMPS 314
    +2 267
    +5 197
    +11 239
    +2 295
    +11 303

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 2.17 Magnolia AMPS 303 ?

hi Sara

last nite u mentioned Magnolia not eating much last nite...so let's keep an eye on that

for now, here are some things to check on:
    have u changed food lately? does she get a rotation of different flavours?
    any ketones testing lately?
    any sign of infection? eating slowly and requiring some effort?

I don't see any changes in your feeding schedule in ss, and the pen is fine, 2 weeks or so...hoping others can shed some light and offer their thoughts.

3. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Hmm. Basil can be starving one day and very Eh about his food the next. He also will act as if the stuff in that bowl is not food when it is not a flavor he likes. And he can go from loving a flavor to giving it the cold shoulder overnight. Then again, I guess kitties just have off days, like the rest of us mere beans.

4. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

Thank you Ronnie and Lydia.

I rotate her food, I change between the chicken and turkey wellness, we change it about every day and a half. The only changes with her food are the timed feeder (which she now loves) and the frequency of her feedings (she now gets fed at 3am and also some evenings when I'm not home). But all of that changed last week. Nothing changed yesterday.

I do not home check for ketones, I have the strips but have never been able to catch her in the litter box. I gave up after about 2 weeks and I leave it to the vet. Is it something I should try again? Should I take her to the vet to get a check? She was quite adamant that I get nowhere near her pee. I tried sneaking, stalking and hiding. I also tried putting plastic wrap under the litter, but she wouldn't "go" with it in there and after about 10 hours, I took it out for fear of her peeing in inappropriate places. Any other tricks that might work?

She is eating slower, not inhaling her food, but it doesn't seem to be paining her. I know she needs dental work. The vet said the one back tooth certainly has to come out (the gums around it are red and puffy and sometimes bloody). But the vet didn't want to do the dental until her numbers were more controlled, she said it could wait. I just called the vet to ask if she had seem the latest batch of numbers I sent, but she's away at a conference this week. Maybe I need to get her in for the dental work soon.

I'm hoping it's just an off day for her. I have them too, more often than she does.

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

definitely worth trying to grab that ketones test in there...keep trying yup yup! I have no tricks, mine was too easy, but maybe others can suggest other things to try.

I think u need some eyes on the dental Q's thou - unfortunately, dental needs can raise BG's...let's see what others say about that.

6. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

Re: 2.17 Magnolia AMPS 303, +2 311

She's definitely acting weird. I called her to get her +2 and she didn't come downstairs. I had to go upstairs to her. She is laying on her bean bag. She purrs when I pet her, and flinched when I poked her ear.

I took a peek at her tooth and it does look worse. Puffy, swollen gums and bloody too. I know that if it gets infected, it can get into her blood...bad times. I am not sure what to do. Maybe give it a day? Her vet is gone until next week. Her old vet does dental procedures on Fridays, but I am not sure if I want to go back to her. :cry: With her vet gone, I don't know if her numbers are low enough to have the dental work done. Does anyone know where the numbers need to be to have surgery?

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 2.17 Magnolia AMPS 303 Dental help needed

Call your vet. At the very least, it's possible that Magnolia needs to be on an antibiotic. That tooth does not sound good. It will effect her eating -- have you ever tried to eat with a bad tooth?

I'd pick up some Stage 2 baby food and see if she'll eat that. It requires no chewing. I'm concerned that the tooth looks "Puffy, swollen gums and bloody too." There could be an abscess. Is there anyone in the new vet's office that can take a look at Magnolia's tooth. Chances are that she will need to be on an AB prior to any dental procedure. I would see about getting the AB and make an appt. for a dental as soon as you can get her in with the new vet.

8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I agree with Sienne that you may need to get A/B for any infection with the tooth before you have it out. If it's an abscess, it is better to get the infection handled first.
    If it's the tooth, I would understand that she's a bit off. I have had an abscess and it's no fun. Food was the last thing on my mind.

If you make the arrangements now, maybe you can ask for what you can do till your appt.

I hope she is feeling better soon.

9. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Poor Magnolia! Is there any news?

10. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

Thank you SO MUCH everyone for your quick replies. I was teaching class 2-5, it's the last week of the quarter...crazy...no free time...blah blah. I was able to check in via my phone but posting was not possible.

I did call the vet before class started and one of the other vets can see her tomorrow morning. I explained everything and the person who answered the phone took 15 minutes talking to the vet, and said it's ok to wait until tomorrow. They said to take her to the ER vet if she absolutely refuses to eat, but she's eating, it's just not her normal hungry hungry hippo behavior. I just got home, she was sitting next to me on the couch, purring and giving head butts to me and my laptop. DH said she ate a little bit around 4 and again at 5 but there was still food leftover...AND...the feeder just went off again and she heard it, but didn't go running...but I walked into the kitchen and did my "ohmygoodness look at the yum yums just for you in the magic device, dance" and she ate it all up. Now she's back on the couch, purring and rubbing her face against my laptop. Maybe she was just having a bad morning...but I'm still taking her to the vet tomorrow, that tooth looks bad. I'd rather spend the $50 and be safe.

I didn't get a BG check since I got home because she had just eaten. I'll get a +11 to see where she is. Should I get any others?

11. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

Magnolia AMPS 303, +2 311, +11 211, PMPS 169

Ugh, I think she was just messing with us...Or maybe she heard of the vet talk and decided to drop real quick like.

We are still going to the vet in the morning.

Today's recap so far: very non-sensical, it doesn't look like a typical bounce.

AMPS 303
    +2 311
    +11 211
    PMPS 169

ETA: Forgot to mention. The hungry hungry hippo is back...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.