2/17 Shadoe amps 382 pmps 355 - tests next week

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Blue, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Yesterday’s Condo

Yesterday's recap:
    358 - amps (8.0u)
    383 - pmps (8.5u)
    394 - +4
    382 - today's amps

Now that's what I call a mini recap - With the dose increase and Shadoe lost and heading in the wrong direction, we both took a break from testing for one night. Actually, I fell asleep real early and made that decision this morning when I woke up :lol:

This morning, Booboo woke me up because she must have been real hungry with her dry food covered. I used to feel badly about covering her dry but then I realized there was always wet to be had if she was REALLY hungry; her choice.

Shadoe was hungry too but had to wait. She did invent a new threat :twisted: :
    She stood on the laptop's keyboard that was right by Booboo's dry food. She just looked at the dry food - leaned her head forward and did the sniff-the-air thing, then looked at me to say "you better feed me soon." She would not get off the keyboard - I had to lift her off - so a few pure snacks were needed to calm her down till test/shot time.
    Now, test/shot done, LB action fine, and Shadoe eating nicely this morning. I think I will leave her a wee bit extra food because she is not a gobbler, so she must need more.
    Tonite and tomorrow are really just cruising nites; I honestly don't expect any big breakthroughs. No tests during the day and just a couple in the evenings. I call them the calm before the storm when we change it all up on Friday nite with R and a curve and another increase.

Shadoe's asleep on my socks, so it's time to leave for work.

Scratches to all the kitties and lots of blues and greens for the beans to celebrate.
    *kitties, you heard that, right?*
    Special GET WELL SOON wishes to Logan

2. Lynee and Max

Lynee and Max Member

Re: 2/17 Shadoe amps 382

Oh the dreaded "if I stare long enough at the dry food it might just magically appear for me to gobble it down". I hope you see some good action out of the increase. Come on Shadoe - let's start showing some good nummers on this ss.

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

LOL with the new threat :lol:
    Have a good day Gayle and Shadoe.

4. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

I can just picture Shadoe staring you down for the food Gayle. :lol: :lol:
    I know they think they are the boss but she does have a formidable opponent in you.
    I hope PM cycle shows a break for you but the countdown is just 2 more days to get
    the ball rolling on some new action.

Come on Shadoe - you need to listen to Mama.

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Randi,
    I swear if Shadoe had lips, the bottom one would be sooo far out when she pouts.
    I may win, but she makes me feel bad.
    She sits like a meatloaf and with her back to me. What a pouter.

We know we are doing what's right for the kitties; we need to do the same with ourselves sometimes!
    And this being typed as I eat a bowl of hi carb pasta :lol:

6. Randi & Max (GA)

Yes I could see that Gayle. She is really pulling out all the stops with you.
    Max looks at me like he has no clue what is happening. "What? Did I do smoething wrong??"
    At least you get to work off the carbs!!!

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Gayle

hows Shadoe feeling tonight? all happy with her yummy fuds and brushings?

8. Randi & Max (GA)

Just checking in on you and see if Shadoe ate while you
    were at work.
    Any more purring and brushing happening?

9. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

When I got home, Shadoe jumped right up to be tested and actually jumped up again for her shot. Weird; one day she wants no part of it, the next day she's just fine.
    Just another pink: 355.

Randi, she did eat a bit more today, so she is feeling better or she liked the food today!

I walked down to the vets after her shot and the vet had the info on the testing.
    She spoke to the labs and it turns out that she could send the blood to the lab they use, but then that lab just sends it on to MSU *for an extra fee* :lol: We agreed that she would have it sent directly by Fedex and it would be cheaper.

So the fasting is a good idea (I think Shadow will disagree) and the food is pulled up at midnight on Saturday, then she goes in to the vets for the blood draw Sunday at 130pm which will be frozen, then shipped to the MSU lab, not their mail room, in time for testing for next Wednesday, the 23rd.
    I should have the results on the 25th.

Now of what value is an ultrasound? I am jumping ahead, but vet mentioned doing an u/s if results are negative, but no explanation was given. Any thoughts on the u/s?

Anyways, Shadoe's wanting some pats and it's almost time for her +2.

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I don't know if I sent this to you before. It's a clinical roundtable discussion by experts on feline pancreatitis that Cassandra passed along. On pages 7-8 they discuss ultrasound. The vets on the roundtable conclude:

They also point out that the sophistication of the equipment and the skill of the radiologist/sonographer must be taken into account as does the cost.

11. Randi & Max (GA)

I dont know if I missed something but I thought I was pretty on top of Shadoe's "treatment"
    this is the first time I am seeing ultrasound. What do they want to ultrasound?
    When Max was d/x'd and I switched to vet #2 I let them do ultrasounds on his bladder/liver/kidney's/pancreas - this was because of his past history of hepatic lipidosis and bladder stones. The vet wanted to be sure there was no scar tissue..and to make sure that there was only diabtetes issue to concern ourselves with (6u later, lol).
    It was very expensive, everything looked nomal. Vet #1 did not think it was necessary at the time.
    Take one step at a time.
    You are doing great for your girl!!!!

12. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Randi,
    when I was talking to the young vet, I said if the tests come back negative, what would you do next to try and figure out what's with this high dose.
    She said ultrasound.

I will ask the nice vet when she is back and after we get the results what SHE thinks.
    I don't believe in doing things 'just cuz the books says so' and want the less expensive checks done first. I want it justified beforehand. Just like doing the fructosamine test if you home test seems like a total waste of money. Sure, it's of use when just dx and no insulin or diet changes have been started, but once you start tx and are hometesting, I feel it's useless.

I want to look a bit ahead of the tests and the results, thinking a few what if's to be prepared a bit.

13. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Six had an ultrasound of practically everything when they couldn't figure out what was causing his lethargy (blood work only indicated high white blood cells) in early November. It was an expensive trip and the ultrasounds of various organs only ruled out possible problems with the organs and didn't show any concerns. That said, I would have been very thankful for the ultrasound if it did show any concerns.

I have since read this week the link Sienne sent re: ultrasounds and p`titis and really I agree with the quote Sienne included...I wouldn't go back and have one done when all other tests indicate pancreatitis. You have the results of the spec-fpl, right? She was at 13.5 or so??? Again, based on the reading that Shadoe has p`-titis. Was the vet suggesting an ultrasound for confirmation of p-titis?

Do you know what would vets ultrasound in a possible accro/IAA kitty to help confirm that blood work doesn't show? Is that what the vet was suggesting an ultrasound for?

I hope I didn't ask anything you had already stated.

14. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

just my opinion, but I wouldn't worry about the u/s yet, until the blood results come back. One thing at a time. I'm glad you're getting those done!

15. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies on value, etc of u/s. While I once would just steamroll ahead with no thoughts to the next steps, I have learned that my vets know very, very little.
    My tactic now is to ask them a question, then scurry back here to find out if the vet actually gave me a valid answer.

Sort of like short term and long term goals; it's wise to have both.
    I could not do a spur of the moment trip; I need to plan to the ridiculous levels and still worry.

Keep in mind that the vet who said u/s would be the next step if results were negative was the same vet who told me to just change Shadoe's food when she had her p-titis attack. So, that should give you a hint as to the value I place on her replies and knowledge. As I have said before, she and the others really are not familiar with FD or anything related to it, so it's a learning process for all.

I ask them, then I come here and say what they said, and then wait for replies that will tell me what we should REALLY do. :lol:

I have had my own u/s and biopsies, so I know a bit about the strengths and weaknesses that can be realized, so there is no way I am jumping on that bandwagon unless it's shown that it's needed.

First things first. Get the blood off to MSU for next week and then see what the results are. It's bad to feel this way, but I really need a reason for Shadoe's insulin guzzling so I hope something comes back positive. I know, that's bad, but I just want to stop looking for the problem. I also want to show the vets that this stuff DOES happen in their own hospital so they better start testing if the same symptoms come along with other kitties. And they really need to start considering home testing and Lantus too.

16. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

Uh...Gayle---You should choose 'pet advocate' career! You would get rich.
    I need You here in Kitchener.
    Good for you girl! We should stand up for our pets and ourself because docs/vets don't like to be questioned.
    God Bless this site so we can learn about FD!
    All the best,Gayle!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.