2/17 Tuscany PMPS~272, +2~262 I THINK SHE HAS MAJOR PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by joyce-tuscany(GA), Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

We just returned tonight after having been gone since 2/9. We had the usual petsitter who is supposed to stay here. She does work days and does go to bed early.

When we got home tonight - went and picked up Tuscany from one of her usual spots - gave her love, got purrs. Short time later she was walking to food dish and I was horrified to see that she was very weak in back legs and wobbly. She sat - which looked like more of a fall/sit and is holding her head funny- partially tilted to side when she looks at you. She ate, we tested to make sure she wasn't low, went to the water bowl drank and went back to her spot on rug.

She has had what we thought was neuropathy and we have been giving her b12 pills. She does not jump. Her weight is the same. DPS says no vomiting, eating ok - but not always finishing her food. Seemed to be having more issues with litter box as far as missing the box. I had started using "piddle pads" under the box cause of this but DPS said had to change them often cause of missing.

I did call DPS - she said that she noticed (other than missing litter box more often) that she seemed to be weaker in the back legs.

SS is updated. Insulin had been dropped to 1.5 from the 1.75 before we left. Only had one night that there seemed to be any lows that needed treatment (though didn't really have great mid cycle checks).

SO - any thoughts? Has she had a stroke? I will have DH take her to the vets tomorrow - unless there seems a reason to take her tonight. Any thoughts on progression - those that might have had similar episodes?
    Tuscany will be 17 in April - I want her to have a decent quality of life but not suffer....

2. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Oh Dear... I dont' know what to tell you. (((Joyce))) (((Tuscany))))

I would take her to the vet in the AM.... but I'm not sure how much sleep you'll get.
    I hope someone else will help you out... maybe cross post on health!

I'll keep you in my thoughts! :YMHUG:

3. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

joyce, I do not have any advice on this matter, just wanted to say I will be thinking of you guys and sending all the positive thoughts I can your way. I hope everything turns out ok.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome back!

Can you give her a thorough once over? Any indication of pain? Didn't she have what you thought was a sprain several weeks ago (or am I making that up)? Could she have a pinched nerve from a fall?

5. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Joyce - I had a kitty who had a stroke. When she had it she was very vocal (it was obvious she was distressed). She rapidly declined, stopped moving around and was weak in her back legs. We called the vet and by the time we got her to the vet she had stabilized - this was within a 2 - 3 hour period. She was given hepren when we arrived.

ECID but I wanted to describe what out girl went through. She did recover from it without any indication of weakness in the back legs.

I'm not sure if this helps, because you are looking at evidence after the possible event, but wanted to share it with you in case it would help.

(((((Tuscany)))))

6. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

how scary! I would definitely see the vet tomorrow to see what is going on.

7. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

oh no! welcome back, but sorry you came home to a possible problem. i haven't looked to see if you've cross-posted on Health. maybe someone there knows if you should go to ER or if it can wait. i'd also PM jess to see what she thinks...

8. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Re: 2/17 Tuscany PMPS~272, +2~262 I THINK SHE HAS MAJOR PROBLEM

Hi Joyce,
    sorry you are coming home to such a scare.

Can you make sure her back legs are not colder than front?

Latte has had issues like this and the cause is uncertain (not cold back legs)...stroke, arthritis, vitamin def.,neuropathy. Once it was wit front legs yrs ago and we did get the head tilt. the later, and more recent back legs was not and has not been accompaniedbwith head tilt.

If she seems in pain, and can swing it maybe er vet. You are the best judge as to whether or not this is an emergency. T the very least I would get her to the vet first thing tomorrow. Keep a good eye on her.

I think you guys will be okay. I will be sending positive vibes your way.

9. joyce-tuscany(GA)

Thanks all for chiming in. Tuscany does not seem to be in pain, is purring for us and very interested in treats - doing her usual grabbing for them (when held - I think she'd fall over if she grabbed while sitting or standing). I did test her for ketones - negative. Her temperature in legs seem same front/back. I don't feel anything unusal when I touch her nor does she respond or cry to any touch adversely.
    Our vet is very responsive to whatever we want to do as far as testing. I just hope she is in tomorrow.
    I did send a pm to Jess and did cross post on health. I've got to get to bed. DH will be up for awhile to test again. He will be home thru about 4 pm tomorrow then leaves again for the weekend. I will be working thurs, friday, saturday and will have lots of catching up to do. UGH - worst part about coming back.

10. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

[cross-posting to Health and Lantus]

I'm assuming you've eliminated hypo? If so, my first reaction would be a stroke, mostly 'cause that's what's caused similar symptoms for my Gwyn on several occasions: she would have a stroke, get a weird walk with her hind quarters slightly twisted to one side (the left) to compensate for the fact that the legs on that side are now weaker. Had a head tilt (to the left) on two or three occasions as well, where the head was both tilted to one side, and also torqued at an angle. She also had nystagmus, with the eyes uncontrollably flickering to one side. One ear is not erect as the other, and one eyelid has a bit of a droop).

If the symptoms are progressing, I would definitely take her in to the emergency room so that they can make a professional diagnosis of the situation and give her whatever support she needs; depending on what's happening, there may be something they can do to either reduce further deterioration or speed recovery. (I might be tempted to do so even if the symptoms aren't progressing, but that's your call.)

11. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

OMG JOYCE!!! Sending Healing vines to poor Tuscany--I had No Idea!..Hope it can be quickly resolved & isnt a big problem!!
    Sending Prayers that Tuscany will again be fine by tomorrow..HUGS~!!!!

12. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

sending white light and good health vibes for tuscany. hoping it was just a one-day thing but glad she's going to the vet. (((HUGS)))

13. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending positive vines for healing to tuscany....((Joyce)) I hope that this will be resolved soon and
    I am glad too that you are going to the vet. I am so sorry to hear this...but at least she doesn't seem to be
    in pain at the moment...I hope for good things Joyce.... :YMHUG:

14. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

No advice to offer, but wanted to let you know I'll be thinking of you guys today. Hope the vet can figure out what's going on and that it's not too serious.

15. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Joyce

I'm getting to your thread pretty late, so hopefully you're at the vet right now. It sounds brain-related, but for anyone's future reference, an acute change in neuro status can indicate primary brain disease, secondary brain disease (interference in blood flow), spinal disease, inner ear problems, head trauma, infectious disease (toxoplasmosis, cryptococcus), and toxin exposure. "Secondary brain disease" can occur because of a hypertensive crisis, heart disease, or other condition that causes the blood to clot inappropriately. Because some of these possible causes can benefit from immediate treatment, a cat should go to the ER if these symptoms are noticed. As with anything that affects the brain, the cat may be behaviorally abnormal as well and could appear very affectionate, or very aggressive, etc. so the cat's behavior cannot be relied upon to give an idea of his/her health status.

Do keep us posted, Joyce.

16. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Joyce, we are sending you a boatload of good thoughts for Tuscany. I have no idea what to offer in the way of advice, so let me give you a hug instead. (((Joyce)))

17. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

Sending good wishes and thoughts to you - best thing is to get her to the vet as soon as you can.

18. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

(((((Joyce--Tuscany))))))--Prayers for good health sent to you today!!!

19. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

So sorry to hear your Tuscany is having a problem...sending good thoughts your way and a hug for you ((((((Joyce)))))).

20. joyce-tuscany(GA)

at the vet now with DH - am waiting to hear from them (dh was told to call me with vet in room so I can talk with her - hope it works that way...)
    No further progression this am - to me mostly same, dh thought slightly better. Thanks for the hugs and vines....

21. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I am hoping for the vet to give you news about Tuscany's condition soon.
    Thinking of Tuscany, wishing improved health.

22. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I'm sure they'll do this anyway, but make sure they check her ears. Maybe an imbalance issue if there's an ear problem (mites, yeast). Could she have hit her head on something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.