2/18 SCRABBLE PMPS 362 +3 322 lots of purple today

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michelle & Scrabble (GA), Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

AMPS 290 this is the first time I have gotten an amps without food. It was hard because the second I got home from work he wanted to eat! He did not want to be bothered with his ears, but I got it! We are going into our 6th day on this dose, when do we need to do a dose change or do we just stay where we are at?
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6539

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 2/18 SCRABBLE AMPS 290, how long on this dose?

hey it's better than stinky ohmygod_smile pinky

this is nice Michelle!

Can u get a +2 or +3 this morning? :D

Let's see how the day goes, and you should have some feedback by PMPS time.

3. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Hi I haven't been here before....Welcome!

Tonight's dose will make a full 6 days, and it looks like you skipped one dose (PM on the 15th), there are alot of "holes" in the SS let's try and fill them in today and tonight. Tomorrow is Friday are you home or do you work? Depending on what the numbers do today and tonight (if no low blues greens) then I would say perhaps Friday night would be a good time to consider an increase (1.25U) that way you will be around to get some BG measurements while the new dose is taking effect. The numbers don't look bad so far for just starting and you just made a diet change according your SS notes so that may be showing some improvement in the next days.

4. Ronnie & Luna

Monique,

Michelle works nites, practically right after evening shot.. so I suggested she see how the day goes, since it's when she can get the most checks in for now.

5. Monique & Spooky

Oh a nite owl! Then the changes should be made when you are at home, so daytime, or on the weekend if your free.

6. Ronnie & Luna

anxiously awaiting for Michelle's days off!!! :lol:
    dying here to know what Scrabble does at nite!! :mrgreen:

7. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Re: 2/18 SCRABBLE AMPS 290, +6 201 when next test?

+6 201, Hi! My days off are Sunday and Monday. Monday would probably be the best day for me to do the increase since I can be home all day and night. It is hard for me to do a +2 after my amps because I go to bed after working all night! Just curious how you would do a .25 increase. Do they have needles that would show that increase. The needles that the vet gave me only show an increase by 1 unit at a time. Are there easier needles to use? Please let me know. Glad we have stayed in the yellow, that is good right? On the diet thing, he has officially been on wet only since Monday.

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

from the new to the group? sticky posted at the top of the forum:

U100 3/10cc syringes with half unit markings are the best to use for fine dosing. BD, Monoject, GNP, and ReliOn are some of the brands available with half unit markings. Needle gauge and length is your preference They come in ½ inch or 5/16 inch needle lengths. Needle gauges 29, 30 or 31 (31 being the thinnest).

that same sticky has a picture of 0.25u on a half unit marked syringe (bottom left).

you can pick up ReliOn U100 syringes marked with half units at WalMart. I think they were about $14 for 100 syringes. Hocks also carries U100 half unit marked syringes.
    using half unit marked syringes makes measuring so much easier...

9. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

here's the link to the sticky http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=157 The pix are just up a little from the bottom.

Some people have had trouble getting the half unit syringes from Walmart. You might want to check right away to see if they have them and if not see if they can get them in. That might be faster than trying to order them, and a lot cheaper than getting a rush delivery.

Even with the half unit markings .25 takes a little eyeballing. I use a strong magnifying lens to double check. Draw a little extra if you need to,BUT DO NOT SHOOT BACK INTO THE CARTRIDGE. Just squeeze a drop or two into a tissue, you aren't really wasting much. You also might want to practice w/ an old syringe and some colored water to get the hang of it

10. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Thanks, I am going to check at Walmart right now, is hocks a website? When should I do another spot test +8, +9, what would yield the most info?

11. Monique & Spooky

For Hocks if you look up in the left corner of your monitor now, you will see a green box (click to shop) by using that link for your purchase this website FDMB earns 8% donation of the purchase price!

12. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Someone more advanced can give advice on when the best times to test are. But any extra data is good.

Yes hocks is website w/ very good prices. If you order there use the green link at the top of the page and they will make a donation to keep this website going. Register for their up dates get you a $5 coupon code, and orders over $79 ship free, so I usually stock up all at once.

13. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Well looks like I will have to try hocks, called two walmarts and neither one has them! Thanks for the info!

14. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Re: 2/18 SCRABBLE AMPS 290, +8 323 question?

+8 323, is it normal to jump up that much in 2 hours? I will do a pmps and then a +2 after that. Poor Scrabble's ears! :( I did order some new needles off of hocks!

15. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle,

A couple things to consider...

- if you are still shopping, pick up some neosporin for Scrabble's ears. No biggie, but you might feel better next time you pull a Ronnie (ha ha ha) :)

- when you are ready to increase the dose, keep in mind that you may (emphasis on MAY) not see results of the change in dose until the next day or even a couple of days. It takes a bit of time for the dose to settle (which is why from now on, you may have to stick to the same dose for 6 cycles - so 3 days - before considering a revision). All this to say, you don't have to increase the day you are home all day because you may not see anything that day. I'll try to go find you a good example of this... and I'll ETA.

and yes, it's normal to BG to be jumpy at first... so hang in there.

16. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

So a cycle is 3 days? So if you are saying to not change the dose for 6 cycles that would mean 18 days correct? Well I just ordered the new needles so once I get those I will be able to increase. I am bringing a copy of Scrabble's spreadsheet to my vet tomorrow for her to go over and she wants to do a BG curve which I am going to do at home.

17. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

and yes I do have neosporin and use it all the time!!! :) poor scrabble has light colored ears so you see the redness~

18. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Re: 2/18 SCRABBLE AMPS 290, PMPS 362

pmps 362, weird how yesterday was so much lower, how does it vary so much from day to day?

19. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There are 2 cycles per day (AM and PM cycles). So, 6 cycles = 3 days.

Just as an FYI, Hocks ships pretty quickly.

20. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Thank you Sienne for the clarification... I wanted to ETA before but it went poof!

Each time you shot it's a cycle.... so 2 cycles per day!

Jill/Alex's SS around Aug 15 is a good one to look at... although I'm sure there is plenty more.

21. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Ok I understand the cycle thing now! :) Thanks! Kind of disappointed with his #'s today, I did order new needles from hocks but now I am not even sure they will ship because I had to cancel my credit cards today because someone stole my credit card # and charged up $2500 worth of gas. So I am not sure if the payment will go through to hocks or not. Anyway, this month keeps getting better! I need a hug! :( So a dose change would be good? Guess I need to wait for new needles to do change correct? Thanks for being there everyone!

22. Ronnie & Luna

hmm, could u grab a package at a pharmacy? Some areas require a script from vet, not sure about your area...

if u want, maybe grab some used syringes and practice measuring. I'd like to hear others input on the dose thou.

And actually, things are getting better! U are doing great Michelle! Look at u go with home testing and caring for Scrabble!!

Easy on yourself, eat some chocolates or ice cream! You're doing fine! :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

23. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Here's an alternative...

Grab an old syringe. Use a colored liquid -- milk, tea, etc. -- something that's light enough to show the lines on the syringe. Approximate where the dose you want would be. Mark the line with tape or anyihing that will give you something to compare against. When you load the next syringe with the new dose, you can compare against yout "control" syringe. The dose may not be exact, but it will be consistent.

24. paige

paige Well-Known Member

((Michelle)) you are doing great! You just started a few days ago and you are already getting so good at home testing! There is a link in one of the stickies at the top to help explain the reason for the BG's going up and down (after sharp drops): Somogyi Rebound

Here is it also known as Liver Training School (LTS). Basically the cats body and liver have to get used to seeing lower numbers and not freak out afterwards by dumping glucose into the blood (which we see as an increase in BG after a lower BG). It is hard to wrap your head around all this infomation at first. I used to sit up all hours of the night reading and re-reading all of the info I could find. I guess for you it would be all day? :lol:

Hang in there! You are doing a great job taking care of Scrabble. cat_pet_icon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.