2/18 Shadoe pmps 340 +3 351 cycle 5 8.5u

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Blue, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Yesterday’s Condo
    Yesterday's recap:
    382 - amps
    355 - pmps
    293 - +2
    277 - +4
    421 - +11
    418 - today's amps

What a lousy start to the day, but Shadoe thought it was not too shabby at all :roll: She strolled over to the test spot, sat OK for that part, did seem thirsty and was drinking from her waterbowl, then actually sat in the kitchen doorway, waiting for breakfast - I took that as her saying yes, I am really hungry this morning. She sat well for her shot and then proceeded to attack her breakfast.

Last eve started out OK with some yellows, but I fell asleep, so she went low and bounced, or just decided she did not like this dose (she does that alot). I vote for her typical did not like dose. :YMSIGH:

I am really getting excited about finally getting the tests done; while I am dreading the fasting, I do have a plan - Sunday morning, I'll get up and test at 545m, shoot at 6am, then go out till noon haha_smiley

Oh wait, what about the shots? Does she still get her am shots?? confused_cat And if we jump off the insulin shot merry-go-round and pass on the 6am 9u dose, do we just pick up where we left off with the pm shot? I don't take her in for the blood draw till 1pm so that's +7 from her usual am shot.
    And what about the R? If I am planning to start that tomorrow night, what do I do about the R?
    I do want to get started with the R, and don't want to wait till the Sunday pm shot.

Ugh, more to worry about. I guess I'll make this post a :?:
    I have till tomorrow night to know if we start R, and what effects if any it will have on her blood draw for tests.

Scratches to all kitties, and calmness for all beans.

2. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 2/18 Shadoe +11 421 amps 418 cycle 4 8.5u - tests & R start?

Good Morning Gayle and Shadoe. :smile:
    I can't help in the "R" department - I wanted to see how Shadoe (and you) are doing and what the numbers are bringing in.
    You are almost there and hopefully getting some answers. I reread yesterday's condo and I know the feeling when you say that you kind of hope for something to show so you know what
    you are up against.
    I was actually releived with Max's diabetes diagnosis than some of the alternatives.
    Have a great day, you are everything for Shadoe!!!!!!

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

You are doing such a GREAT job Gayle! I just stopped in to wish you well....and to give you a hug! :YMHUG:
    This is exciting...you will finally get some answer hopefully....and you are totally amazing with all you do for
    Shadoe...so glad she is acting fine...that is so important! Hope you have a great day...hang in there! :razz:

4. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Hey Gayle, I don't have any advice on the R or anything else, really, but wanted to say hi and wish you luck with the tests! And send some hugs your way! At least Shadoe seems to be feeling well today.

I love Shadoe's picture! Logan does the same thing with his paws. He also crossed them and partially covers his face with them. We always say it looks like he's throwing gang signs at us! :lol:

I'll be thinking of you guys while you wait for tests/answers. It'll be a relief to know what's going on. It is so frustrating when you know something isn't right but no one can tell you what's wrong.

(((((Gayle and Shadoe)))))

5. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Good plan for the fasting day, Gayle!!! haha_smiley You should probably call the vet and ask about the shots the morning of but usually they say to give insulin. Of course, if she's not eating then there's no food to counter it. Yeah, you probably need to put the question in your title or on health....sorry, I'm no help at all!!!!

Hoping you find a definitive answer too....this has been a long road for you and Shadoe with very little progress along the way...you both deserve better. :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

6. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Confused.. why are we fasting?? IAA/Acro are not fasting tests. If you are doing fPLI, that is a fasting test but you may get a negative result if she is not in mid-flare. Also recommend BCS dose if no food on board, sometimes cats plummet under vet stress.

7. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Gayle, you have the patience of a saint, as my grandmother used to say. I am, however, with you 100% on escaping during fasting periods. You know what works? You hide in the closet. I mean, not that I ever tried anything so silly or anything. You know, I'm just saying I've heard of other people doing that.

8. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Logan's had to fast a couple times now and they've always told me to give him half his normal dose...double check with the vet, though, to be sure, especially since it will be several hours after getting the insulin before they do the draw. With Logan, I've always taken him in first thing so it's only a few hours w/o food after getting his shot.

9. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Carolyn,
    I knew nothing about any fasting for the fPLI test, but it did not matter as Shadoe was already sick as crap and had not eaten for over 24hrs; self imposed fast I would call it.

Someone here mentioned that I should ask about fasting if needed for the tests. I don't want to mess up the results if i feed when I shouldn't have, so I asked the young vet. She said yes. :YMSIGH:

If you look at the info sheet for the IAA test, it has a note under collection protocol:
    Collection Protocol
    Avoid hemolysis or lipemia.
    So that means what for me?

If it means no fasting, the first person to say that will be making Shadoe very very happy on Sat nite and Sunday morn :lol:

I'll go with the R on Friday nite and depending on how it all goes for the weekend, we can decide on what to do with the R and am shot on Sunday. I'll take the test and R start off this subj till later now.

10. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 2/18 Shadoe +11 421 amps 418 cycle 4 8.5u

The fasting seemed reasonable to my mind having a pitiful amount of knowledge; see below:

lipemia
    [lipē′mē·ə]
    Etymology: Gk, lipos + haima, blood
    a condition in which increased amounts of lipids are present in the blood, a normal occurrence after eating.
    And also:
    lipemia
    an excess of lipids in the blood; hyperlipemia.
    alimentary lipemia
    postprandial lipemia (below).
    fasting lipemia
    that present when food has been withheld for at least 24 hours.
    postprandial lipemia
    a physiological effect that occurs between 2 and 12 hours after the ingestion of food high in lipids.
    lipemia-refrigeration test
    refrigeration of a lipemic blood sample may distinguish between triglyceride-rich lipoproteins, which persist in the turbid sample, and chylomicra, which rise to form a flocculent top layer while the sample clears.

11. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

I think that's trying to say don't take blood right after eating. I can't remember how my vet worded it but she basically said feed him 2-3 hours before the test rather than right before it. Ask your vet to call MSU or better yet, ask Jojo what that means to you as the owner. I remember the IAA test was the one I was worried about too, and my vet was not as concerned after she talked to MSU.

12. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Alrighty, back to the vet I go tonite after work.
    I'll ask whatever vet who is on duty to have MSU called tomorrow so that we know ahead of time - if the lab and lab guys are all closed on the weekend, fat lot of good it will be to try and find out before Saturday/Sunday.
    If I can't get a vet, I'll wait (again) for one of their techs to come out and talk to me and I'll have a note added to Shadoe's chart.

It's a good idea for their tech to know ahead of time what precautions are needed when drawing Shadoe's blood.

I do like the sounds of giving her the shot at 6am and a nice meal right then. After that, I can go out and ignore her till noon because I know she will be parked in front of the feeder ... waiting for the next turn to fresh goodies.

13. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 2/18 Shadoe pmps 340 cycle 5 8.5u

Alrighty, we are set for tomorrow nite, dose to 9u and start R 0.1u, with a Ronnie style curve all evening.
    I stopped at the pharmacy, just to be sure they had Humulin R in stock always, spoke with the pharmacist about handling and syringes and stuff. I'll stop there on the way home to stock up on a crate full of strips, Humulin R and more syringes. Then we will be set for the weekend.

I am totally fine with it all, except that teeny weeny dose 0.1u. ohmygod_smile
    How DO you guys really measure that amount, consistently?
    Sure, I have seen the picture, but even then, I am pretty sure I will be guessing.
    If 0.5u is 5 drops, why not draw to 0.5u then twist out 4 drops? Would that work?
    UGH.

Shadoe seems kind of OK. She did not eat lots today, and had a fairly light colored and loose poop after her pm shot. While it looked different, it still smelled just as stinky :lol:

She seems to be eating OK tonite, so maybe she slept through the feeder turns.

We'll test a couple times tonite, expecting maybe some yellows.

14. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I have no idea what Shadoe's doing now; she can't even have the decency to be flat.
    Instead, she goes up?

The weekend can't come soon enough for me; get started with R and get the tests started. UGH.

Oh Shadoe's doing just fine; eating and sleeping and purring.
    if I don't fall asleep, I'll test one more tonite.

15. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

u could try using ur used syringes to practice it, I was doing that a lot, twisting the plunger to get the drop.

and hey - whats this about a Ronnie-style-curve? :lol: I taught u well grasshopper!lol!!

Will be watching ur R experience this weekend. What did it cost u by the way at the pharmacy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.