2/19/10 - Bashful - at Vet for Dental tonight - FRUSTRATED

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Theresa&Bashful, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theresa&Bashful

Theresa&Bashful Member

Yesterday's Condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6693

Okay, you guys get to comment more often - you have a positive influence on Bash. :D A little better numbers last night and this morning.

PMPS 236
    +4 - 287
    +6.5 - 245 (just happened to wake up in the middle of the night)
    AMPS 249
    +1 250

Not perfect, but better than the last couple days. Going in for dental tonight, so that'll mess things up again, darnit. Hopefully he will do better post dental.

I did print out the list from Jill and called the vet and asked all the questions. They don't usually do xrays, but said I could have them if I wanted them, which I told them I did. They are doing a full blood workup before procedure. They do monitor blood pressure and heart rate, they do an IV, they do do pain meds. They mentioned a different going home pain med (I can't remember name) (if needed) and I asked if I could have buprenex and they said yes, that's fine. Anesthesia is propoval (sp?).

They said to let him eat when giving shot and give 1/2 dose. They are a 24 hour vet, so I am guessing they will just wait 8 hours post eating to do the procedure (altho I will confirm).

Little nervous - he's 17 after all. He had a dental 2 years ago and did fine, altho there weren't any extractions at that time. Hoping it goes well.

Happy Friday.
    Theresa & Bashful

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 2/19/10 - Bashful - AMPS 249, +1 250 - Dental tonight

Theresa...hoping it goes well tonight for Bashful. His numbers will probably be better after this is all over with....if there is any infection going on. Sending good dental vines to yous.....

3. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 2/19/10 - Bashful - PMPS 399 at Vet for Dental tonight

your vet does dentals at night? Or he's spending the night and doing it tomorrow? Good luck with the dental, let us know when he's home!

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

update us when you can...

5. Theresa&Bashful

Theresa&Bashful Member

2/19/10 - Bashful/PMPS 399 at Vet 4 Dental tonight - Frustra

Bash is at the vet for dental tonight overnight. They will do in early a.m., so I'll get him back tomorrow afternoon. First morning I'll get to sleep in in over a month (only positive in this situation).

Worried, of course. Hoping he does okay. A bit disappointed in the vet, think I'm going to find a new one for anything above normal care. Found out after the fact that the only xrays they can do are of his skull and won't be determinative for dental purposes, but vet does know a dental certified vet in Portland, OR that he'll refer me to if I want them (duh). Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the vet that Beth takes her babies to. So I decided to go ahead and have them do the dental to get it done, but think I will follow up with this other vet for post-dental xrays to make sure all is okay. The vet isn't wholly unsupportive of me being proactive (he thought the BG chart (SS) I took in was impressive), and thinks that it's great that I home test and can do curves, and spent a half hour answering all my very numerous questions, however I get the strong impression he thinks I'm overly protective and a worrier whom he just has to humor.

He's very knowledgable in a lot of ways, but also seems somewhat ignorant in other ways. When I inquired about possibly testing him for pancreatitis (and the flvp (?) test) he said the test was "controversial" Huh?? WTF? :roll: Also said there wasn't really much way to treat pancreatitis other than fluids and pepsid and that all animals he's ever known who had it passed away from it. I'm thinking, dude, you really need to do more research on stuff. Sheesh! I don't think he actually has pancreatitis, but thought maybe I might get it checked at some point (he doesn't think he has it either based on other test results and behavior).

So feeling a little frustrated and like I'm a hypochondriac pet owner. Feel like they think I am doing too much, and you guys might think I am doing too little and not doing anything right. (and yes, I'd like with cheese with that whine..lol)

I don't think they are horribly bad vets (like my old one who almost killed Bash when he was DKA), but I don't think they know everything about diabetic cats either. I think I'm going to PM Beth about her vet. It's about an hour away from me, but I might end up with better over all care or knowledge.

Maybe doing this process when I have PMS isn't the best timing..LOL I think I'm going to go have some chocolate and a good cry and curl up with my heating pad. I'll be glad when he's home and I can look after him myself. :cry:

T

6. Theresa&Bashful

Theresa&Bashful Member

It's a 24 hour vet, so they have you bring them in at night usually, then they do them in the early morning hours when it's slower. It's handy for working around your schedule.

7. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((((theresa)))))
    you're doing a great job with bashful! please don't feel otherwise.
    the fpli test for pancreatitis... i remember reading something about some controversy. i can't remember which it is... the possibility of false negatives or false positives. hopefully, someone will chime in with the answer. however, your vet is wrong. chronic pancreatitis isn't a death sentence. many kitties here are treated successfully wth pepcid, bupe, and fluids. it's estimated at least 40% of diabetic kitties have pancreatitis. have you read through jojo's CP post: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/read.php?8,1092948,1092948#msg-1092948? it contains a lot of good info as well as some links.
    get a good night's sleep, k?

8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know about you but I don't see the value of taking my kitties to a vet who thinks that way about p-itis; it makes me wonder what that vet actually does know.

That fPLI test is best done when your kitty is actually having an attack, a flare or what it should be called.

Maybe the vet meant that the kitties die from it if it's not treated!
    Shadoe had p-itis quite bad, but I quickly took her to the vets, got nausea and pain meds, plus fluids, and within a week, she was pretty much back to her old self. Death sentence my eye!

I had also seen that 30% of kitties with FD also get/have p-itis, but it's most certainly treatable. I am not sure of the value to have the test done if there are none of the usual signs.

I hope the dental goes great and you start to see some much better numbers.

Sleep well while you can!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.