2/19-20 Andy - 255 pmps; 58 +6; 299 amps

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA), Feb 20, 2019.

1. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA) Member

2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Something to think about... usually, we do not give HC past nadir, but when I checked your SS remarks, it said you gave MC at +6. That, I agree with, since Andy was still sliding down. When you give higher carbs during the tail end of a cycle, it may shorten the duration of insulin and causes PS numbers to be high since insulin is already waning. I would have given LC at +3 to encourage Andy to level out. But all that information is in the post Marje did. I hope it works out for you and Andy!! :bighug:

3. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

He did have his normal 1/3 LC meal at +3. I will post those going forward so no confusion. Then 1/4 LC FF @+5.5 and then the HC gravy FF @+6.
    The problem is he won't eat for me when he gets low so I have been trying those extra gravy FF's to entice him which he loves. He is a stinker! :banghead:

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  4. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Are those pates that are labelled "extra gravy"? I heard they are actually LC. Is that not correct what I heard?

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Good morning! I see you're busy, but a couple more thoughts from yesterday's thread for when you have a chance...

When one uses food to manipulate the curve don't expect immediate results. You have to experiment a little to see what works. Make sure you give each change time to work. It make take a week (sometimes more) when you're talking about changes to kitty's feeding routine and even longer to figure this whole thing out.

Most caregivers try to feed foods with the lowest percentage of carbs thinking it'll help. I know feeding a foods with a little higher percentage of carbs sounds counter-intuitive, but it will allow the caregiver to increase the dose safely.

For example, Alex was an extremely carb sensitive kitty. Depending on where she was in the cycle she could get a rise of up to 50 points from feeding a piece of freeze dried chicken! Instead of searching for foods with the lowest amount of carbs, we zero'd in on feeding food around 4 - 5% while others were suggesting looking for foods in the 0 - 3% range. If I fed her foods any lower than with 4 - 5% carbs I never would have been able to safely get enough insulin into her to flatten her BG numbers out in spite of her sensitivity to carbs. I also tried to make sure she still had some food in her belly when the insulin peaked (nadir) to keep her from bottoming out. Feeding her after nadir put the brakes on whatever action the insulin had left... so I tried to avoid that at all costs.

ECID is not just a slogan. Every cat is truly different so your mileage may vary. To make life even more interesting, kitty will often change things up on you. My vet used to say just when you think Alex will zig... she'll zag. I laughed at the time, but boy-oh-boy was he right! Stay flexible and remember Rome wasn't built in a day.

Hope you have a good day!

ETA: If Andy is full and won't eat when you're trying to pull his numbers up, see if he'll lick some gravy from the higher carb food. In most cases, all you really need is about a 20 point rise to keep him from dropping too low.

Sorry, I have an appointment and have to run, but happy to see you're in very capable hands with Mandy!

6. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

I have the FF Gravy Lovers - it's chunky in gravy - 15-20% on the food chart

Are there pates with extra gravy?

@Mandy & Rex I will be away for a few hrs today - have a needed vet appt for Big John and we are having a winter storm (snow, sleet) - :arghh:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  7. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Yes. Here's a link to Friskies - looks to be 4 flavors.

Good luck and be careful out there.

8. Yvonne & Andy &BJ (GA)

Attached Files:

• 127.JPG
      127.JPG
      File size:
      66.6 KB
      Views:
    Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.