2/19, Boomer, AM/175, PM/97

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Traci and Boomer, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Boomer was 175 this morning - pretty high for him. He got a 60 last night at +3.5 or so and I think he probably went even lower in the middle of the night. Could this cause the morning to be so high? I'll need to watch him this weekend and get some mid-point numbers to be sure. He also puked again - right outsidehis litterbox this morning and was a little less excited about eating. Seems like I need to bring him to the vet - but what tests should I have done? Blood? He used to have cp and he had (controlled) IBD and it seems to be back again even though budesonide worked for a while. I don't want to go to the vet without being prepared. Does anyone have suggestions? I haven't seen Cassandra and Sasha in weeks - her cat has IBD too. Does anyone talk to her?

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 2/19, Boomer, AM/175 - I have a theory....

I cant remember if I asked u this before, but does Boomer eat too fast? has food served warmed?

what do u feed again?

whats in the pukes? is it liquid? food? dark, light?

if he's doing this every day, I'd say have him checked, get some suggestions and go from there.
    Cassandra I believe is taking time off

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

oh and a spike in BG sometimes can be a result from not feeling too good (pukeys) in some kitties, some go up a bit, some go down...
    but I am wondering what he did overnite too with his numbers...

4. Traci and Boomer

Hi Ronnie-

Thanks for caring, like usual! I don't think this is a case of "scarf and barf" unfortunately. As he did in the past, he eats and the food comes up undigested hours later. It's weird; it's like it sits in his belly for hours until he barfs. I have caught him eating plastic bags again recently (even this morning) but I checked the puke and no plastic that I could find. Yup - I know - I've gotta get rid of the darn plastic, but unfortunately I don't think I can use that as an excuse.
    Questions: is there anything else I can use for IBD besides pred and budesonide? What about raising the dose of bude? I know this is probably the wrong place to post this. I'll post on Health too.

5. Traci and Boomer

WCR- eating great and no puke when I got home! Yay.

I used the PetFood Direct coupon from the Supply Closet and got some FortiFlora for $20 including shipping. That stuff is BY FAR the best thing I've ever used for an appetite stimulator. He'll eat anything if that's on it. LOVE IT!

6. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

do you think he might be constipated? Puking next to the litterbox could mean that. Or are the litterbox deposits normal?

If you're going to the vet, it might be worth it to get a Spec fPLI for pancreatitis, to see if that is flaring. And an x-ray to see if they can spot a reason for the vomiting (swallowing something, for example, or a blockage of some kind).

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If there's no blockage, maybe his gastric motility is slowed. If food seems to be staying in his stomach, either his stomach may not be contracting to move food into his intestine or the valve at the end of the stomach may not be opened wide enough for food to move through efficiently.

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

like libby, i was wondering if he may be constipated...

9. Traci and Boomer

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the ideas about his puking. Okay, now I don't mean to be gross, but how can you tell if he's constipated? Would the poop be different looking? I've not noticed anything. His poop always smells more than the average cat's IMO, but he's been gassy (my first farting cat) and had IBD issues since he was a few months old. He didn't puke this PM, thank goodness. I'll keep a closer eye on his litterbox activity.

I also think I remember the gastric motility issue being discussed. It's hard for me to remember exactly because I had two cats with pancreatitis last year at the same time, so I can't remember who had what test. Boomer's also had issues with absorbing nutrients from his food and B-12 was given for this. These days he gets it once a month; at first it was more.

Good news, +3.75 was 60. I can see where he goes tonight to determine if the 175 he gave me this morning was a bounce from a low number the night before.

10. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

if he's constipated, he might not have any poop, or he might have little balls instead of tootsie rolls, or he might have a little diarrhea. The vet can palpate or x-ray (they can probably show you how to palpate too, I keep forgetting to ask).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.