2/19: Esse AMPS=369 +4=302 PMPS=205

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michele and Esse, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Daily Digest
    AMPS=369. Wellness out, shot 2.75.
    +4=302
    PMPS=205. Evo out, shot 2.75
    Yesterday's condo:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6662

Morning, LL.

No news...she's staying around the same number for this whole week. The no-stress test has failed...and while I knew it would, it will be nice to be able to say "I did it your way, and nothing changed...". I really want to increase to 3, and will do so probably tomorrow. The vet wants me to give her one week of AM/PM test only, and then a +4. Today is the 7th day, so I'll get the +4 today, and email her the results.

As for her WCR. she's being herself, totally. Crawled onto the pillow and gave me some grooming help on my eyebrows last night while I fell asleep - it was wonderful. I have the best groomed eyebrows and the skin underneath has been dermabraded well...LOL...

WBR: got some sleep, and since it is going to rain for the next week, I will be able to get all the studying in, and all the housework I can stand...in between naps. LOL. I didn't do as well on the first exam as I had hoped, so...I need to amp up the studying a tad. Dunno how to do that, but...I'll do it.

Other than that, life proceeds apace...hope everyone has a great blue and green day!

Best-
    Michele

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 2/19: Esse AMPS=369

Good morning Mz Esse, I am hoping you have a very lovely day, but why not come down a bit to some nice sunshine and leave all that rain behind.

Michele, the housework will wait so you can study and wait on Mz. Esse.
    How come the vet wanted a week of testing just am and pm? I don't get that request.
    I hope you don't over stress yourself about the exams. It all comes down to knowing, and either you know it or you don't. I know firsthand that one can stress themselves stupid; I once went blank on a final cuz of stress, so grab some BOS and you will be fine.

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Busy Lady as usual...Michele :razz:
    Hope Miss Esse will rethink these pinks... ohmygod_smile
    Hope you both have a good day today!

4. Michele and Esse

Her position is that testing, especially frequent testing, causes stress to the animal. Stress will cause the BS to rise. Thus, if one eliminates the testing, the blood sugar will go down. She had requested that I shoot without testing, and I flatly refused. Told her that was too dangerous, and that I would not, under any circumstances, do that. She didn't even ask twice...looked at my face, and just didn't ask again. LOL.

However, what this week of no testing has shown her is that her idea holds little merit in home testing. Yes, vets see higher levels because of the stress incurred by going to the vet's office and all the attendant fuss that happens. Stress will, of course, rise at that point, and so will the blood sugar. As we all know, once it becomes part of a routine, and becomes something the cat expects, it is no longer cause for concern/stress, and the counter regulatory hormones don't spike, and the sugars don't rise...while at home. Esse gets tested sometimes and doesn't even lift her head...LOL...she's not concerned about it, because she's used to it, expects it, and knows it's not something that is a problem.

This week's numbers will hopefully show that to the vet...and if I can explain it to her, maybe she'll let go of the whole idea that hometesting is a problem. Maybe not, but maybe. And since I've forwarded her the whole spreadsheet, she can see that there are no significant fluctuations at all with testing frequently, and has, in fact, helped me treat Esse when she was low and needed help fast.

Well, I can hope, anyway.

So Gayle, that's her reasoning, and why I went along with it. Maybe some teaching can happen, you know? As for studying, Fridays are my 'book-free, study-free' day...the day I do as little as possible in any regard about anything at all...and so far, I'm right on track! LOL.

Best-
    Michele

5. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Re: 2/19: Esse AMPS=369 +4=302

Hi Michele,

You sound so worn :YMHUG: out.

I hope that Esse gives you a little yellow in there, at least.

As for your vet's theory, you should give her links to the ss's of all the people who test frequently and see blues and greens. Her thoery also contains a bit of a Catch 22 to it--you can only test IT by not testing. Hmm. LOL!

Anyway, hope you have a good day.

6. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

the way I see it, since unfortunately more and more kitties on insulin, joining this board, joining forums, creating spreadsheets, bringing these to the vets, its just gonna start to create a positive trend for vets to collect these spreadsheets.
    I know my own vet is keeping ours filed separate to use as examples, and she is still learning more about FD too.

We all do what is best for our kitties, and our kitties know us best,... about the only time testing is stressful would be the beginning, when it's something new to them,..but as we all have learned, kitties learn too, and they learn that a treat comes after a test, plus some snugglies,,. positive reinforcements, and not just a shove back in the cold cage at the clinics.

You're a good momma bean Michele, and u know Esse best. cat_pet_icon

7. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Will Esse do my eyebrows too? I'll pay her in chicken snakus!

When Six was at the vet last week I brought his testing equipment, food and lantus. While we were waiting for blood work results, I took care of his nightly routine. She came in after it was all done surprised that he had been tested, eaten and gotten a shot without a fuss and so quickly. They don't see that kind of behavior as normal, but for our kitties it is.

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

One day, the vets will learn.. fingers crossed.

Hey, I need my eyebrows done, too :razz:

9. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I agree with an increase to 3 units.

I wish your vet could see how "stressed" Lucy is during testing. My parents always got a kick out of it when they were visiting me - I would say "pokey time!" and Lucy would chirp and bounce off toward the bathroom. She talks and purrs and circles until I have her stuff ready, then sits down and waits for the poke. It's all for a chicken treat, but she doesn't care. I think she's more stressed now that I don't poke as often!

10. Michele and Esse

I, too, hope there's learning which takes place. Bless my vet's heart, she is willing to learn, and is totally willing to work with me...so maybe this will show her that it's not stress from testing which keeps the numbers elevated in a 'used to that' cat...

OTOH, tonight, funnily enough, she's down to 205...with a +4 test in there as per the vet's direction. ;)

As for loaning Esse out for eyebrow grooming, bear in mind that she believes all eyebrows should stand straight up, like cat's eyewhiskers. After a grooming session by Essemama, I tend to look perpetually surprised. LOL.

Depending on what goes on tonight and tomorrow, I will increase her to 3 tomorrow evening. While I don't particularly like to do it on a Saturday, I have short school hours on Monday, so can be home earlier than usual and can monitor should I need to.

Best-
    Michele

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The other factor that the vet is forgetting is positive reinforcement. By providing a treat that is closely associated with testing, it is not does testing become a routine activity, it's an activity that earns a reward. Cats will work for food!

12. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

you have my permission to show your vet a copy alex's levemir spreadsheet to see how stressed she is from frequent testing. i tested her a lot to illustrate what happens when you shoot low to stay low.

you know, alex was honeymooning for 2 years and 10 months. every month she would get tested at least once. all i had to do was say, "alex, time to test your BGs!" and she'd come from wherever she was in the house and hop right up onto her testing spot... and alex does not get treats after a test! as you can see from her levemir ss, she continued coming for tests. no problems what-so-ever.

now, getting the carrier out to go to the vet's... that's a different story! talk about getting stressed! her BGs can go from a normal 50s - 60s to 200 or 300 as soon as she sees that dang carrier.

happy to see you'll be increasing the dose... good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.