2/20 Bear Man amps 302

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Linda and Bear Man, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Last condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6714

Bear had two tests that confirmed he is proteinuric. (Urine protein creatinine ratio - first test 3.1, second test 3.2). From what I have read, and what the vet told me, CRF cats who are proteinuric will progress more quickly with their disease. I started him on Fortekor (Benazepril) last night. It seemed to have a sedating effect on him.

His numbers have been nasty. I know I have to increase his insulin dose, as soon as I am able to monitor him. His appetite has been poor, and he has been lethargic over the past few days. He is urinating on the floor quite often, and has some diarrhea. I have also been sick, and have not been able to test him much, or coax him to eat as much as I should. To be honest, I am not very keen on waking him and poking him if he is sleeping comfortably, just to see a bad number and write it down. The diabetes is kind of last on my list of concerns right now. My bad. He is not keen on the few varieties of medium phosphorus LC foods I am offering, and he is only wanting to eat his reduced protein kibble, which is driving his numbers. I just want him to keep eating, no matter what he wants to eat. If I do increase his dose, I will worry about what will happen if I am not home, and he doesn't eat on his own.

The vet is coming to the house on Tuesday to recheck bloodwork, and see if we have made any progress over the last two weeks in getting his phosphorus levels dowm. She will also check his blood pressure. Miss Emily will also have bloodwork drawn, as she had elevated urea and creatinine, and low USG after her last bout of pyelonephritis. She will likely be kidney kitty #2.

I wonder about his quality of life. He doesn't look like he is in pain, but is weak and tired.

2. JaniceandSpike

JaniceandSpike Well-Known Member

Oh Linda you have a lot on your plate. Just want you to know we're here for you and thinking good thoughts for your furry family.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Linda:

Let him eat what he wants. You can increase his dose slowly so you have a better feel for how the dose is working or do a bigger increase when you're around to monitor. Whatever works. Some of Bear's lethargy may be due to higher BG numbers and some may be from the ACE inhibitor. It will lower BP and human will often feel tired on antihypertensives until their systems adjust.

4. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

Linda, I'm so sorry to hear that your guy isn't feeling so great, and that the tests were not better the second time. I know how your heart aches for your boy.

I think you are doing the right thing to feed him whatever he will eat. You have so much on your plate. Your heart will lead you to what is in Bear's best interests, and yours. Worrying can be very tiring for the bean, too.

(((Linda and Bear Man)))

5. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

(((((Linda and Bear Man)))))

Sending both of you healing vines.

6. stephanie & Ti-Mi (GA)

stephanie & Ti-Mi (GA) Member

Sending hugs and good thoughts. I can imagine how hard all this must be. Bear man is in such good hands. Bear man's quality life is probably going down, but it looks like he still have some. Those quality moments become more simple and basic as time goes by, even more when disease joins in. Bear man will let you know when his acceptable level of quality life will be crossed. I am sure you are doing what is in Bear man's best interest and that he knows how much you love and care for him.

7. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

I've been told the same too, in clear-cut CKD cases. But his is not clear-cut CKD, is it?

Sedating calming or sedating lethargy? IMHO, this can be a little worrisome. How well controlled was his BP with amlodipine? He's now getting both, right? Need to keep tabs on his BP; hypotension will not do his kidneys any favours.

Just a wild guess, but is he being adequately hydrated? (I don't remember his b/w). Dehydration makes me weak and tired. And many CKD kitties perk up noticeably after SQuids. Does vet have any ideas on how to keep him hydrated, SQuids being out of the question? (even more of a concern if he's not getting some fluids from canned food)

(((Bear))) (((Linda)))

8. Laura and Quincy

Laura and Quincy Member

I'm sorry to read that Bear Man's health woes are mounting. Sending healing thoughts your way. Hopefully the new medicine will help.

9. Linda and Bear Man

10. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Linda
    I am sorry to hear the news is not better for Bear Man but you are taking such good
    care of him.

We are thinking of you and sending lots of healing vines your way, and strength too!

11. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

linda, sorry you and bear aren't feeling well.
    echo that you should feed him whatever he loves, even if it's high carb kibble. baby food, anything his favorite snackie? that's what i'd be giving.
    are you giving subQs? regardless of whether his scruff is snapping back the subQs often perk them up if you can handle it now while you're feeling sick.
    praying that bear feels better and more energetic soon.
    (got worries about cleo's kidneys now too so i can relate. :( )

12. Linda and Bear Man

Bear and Teddy and I just piled onto the bed for a nap, and Bear looks better tonight. He stretched out and had a comfy sleep and a paw twitchy dream. Second dose of Fortekor is on board.

13. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Happy to hear that he seems more comfortable, that he ate his dinner, and that his PMPS is better.
    I am sending tons of good thoughts and prayers and snowflakes to Bear Man to feel better, and for you to feel better too, Linda.

14. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry to read about Bear Man's new numbers and that he is not feeling well, but happy that he had a better evening. I cannot offer advice, wish I could. It is a road I have been on many times, never an easy one. I always ended up doing for them what they loved, what made them happy, content. Always a ton of hugs and cuddles and naps together. Sometimes that can be the best medicine.

Mannie and I send many positive thoughts, even more healing vines. I wish you both well. You are a great mama bean, you will know, as will bear man, when the quality of life isn't so swell. Mine always managed to tell me. Take care, you've done good. cat_pet_icon

15. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Glad he's feeling a little better.

Older kitties sleep more, and it's winter time. I hope he'll perk up a little as Spring approaches, I know I will.

16. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

(((((Linda))))) that's all I have to offer, sorry it's not enough. :sad:

17. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

i'm glad he ate and his nuumbers are better. hope you both feel better.
    (((((linda & bear man)))))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.