? 2/20 Chase-New with SLGS-AMPS 237, +1 163, +2 78, +3 155, +11.25 144 human meter, +1 157, +2.25 155

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sandi & Chase in AZ, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Sandi & Chase in AZ Well-Known Member

Good Morning,

I'm just hoping to get someone to be watching, here. I'm getting ready to give Chase his shot and the past 2 days he has dropped pretty low afterwards. Although, he was put on a new reduced dose of .25 u last night. That maybe why his AMPS is a little higher this morning.

I fed him a 1/4 cut of food after his AMPS, and am getting ready to shoot. Fingers crossed. I will be able to hang around for a couple of hours this morning, as I have to go into work, but I will at least get a +1 and +2.

Thanks to EVERYONE here.

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Morning, Sandi! The +1 and +2 will be good-- you're right, Chase has a tendency to drop low quickly, so that will give you an indication of what's in store for the day and let you take action (i.e., leave extra food down) if need be.

Sandi & Chase in AZ likes this.
  3. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

You're doing great! I've got things to do so I can't stay here "steadily", but I can pop in and out to check on how things are going. Surf safely, Chase!!

4. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Based on your late night test Chase is was rising into AMPS. It's helpful to know that. Great you can get the +1 & +2, all data is good.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I won't be here most of the middle of the day but I think he should be OK with the 0.25 u dose. The +1 and +2 numbers often give clues as to what they have planned.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Sandi -

Have you had a chance to look over the "New to the Group" sticky? There's a timetable in the note that lays out what a "typical" Lantus cycle looks like. With some cats, you need to shift the cycle a bit earlier or later depending on that particular cat but the cycle will give you an idea of how Lantus generally works.

I would also encourage you to add information to the "Comments" section of your spreadsheet. This is particularly important if you are using food (either low or high carb) to steer the cycle. It will give you a means to track what works and it also helps us to know what you've been doing so we can provide more informed support and suggestions.

7. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Morning Sandi, (well it's afternoon here, just finished lunch)
    Glad to see Chase is giving you a bit of a break with that amps. What did you shoot this morning?

It says 0.5u on the ss, did you shoot that or 0.25? With his dippy dip shenanigans yesterday he earned a permanent reduction to 0.25u, that should be his new dose.

Here's yesterdays thread (condo)
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-2-149-3-147-9-196.173431/page-2#post-1900484

8. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Yikes... I have to change that to 0.25. Will do that now. And at +1, he is at 163 BG. WOW... what a difference from the weekend, so far. I will test again in an hour. :)

Gill & George likes this.
  9. Nan & Amber (GA)

Definitely a more comfortable number than the weekend's +1 and +2's, but that's still a 70pt drop from shot time, so he may need a bit of steering with more food. I'll leave the specific recommendations to the pros in terms of how much and when would be best.

I know you have to leave after the +2, are you gone all day after that?

10. Islandmomma

Islandmomma Member

Surf safely Chase!

11. Gill & George

When you got that BG test this morning before the shot, had Chase had anything prior to that?

That's quite a big drop, still in nice safe numbers, but it does indicate an active cycle.

Great idea getting a +2, and I would also give him a teaspoon or two of LC food, to try and slow the rate that he is dropping at.
    He's not in any danger, but when they drop fast at the begining of the cycle giving a bit of LC can encourage them to slow down the drop.
    We like to control the speed at which they drop, if we can, so that it doesn't trigger a bounce (bounce= physiological response to fast drop or numbers lower than kitties are used to which results in liver dumping glucose into blood stream and raises BG).

12. Doodles & Karen

There is still depot from the .5u dose at play. It can take 4-6 cycles for the depot to drain. I would give a snack now, at that +1 and again after the +2.

13. Sandi & Chase in AZ

I will be gone all day, but will hang out at home to AT LEAST get a +3.

14. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Sandi, I ditto the tsp or two of LC food now so you can slow this boy down.

15. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Thanks, Karen. I already did the +1, and I just gave him a couple of teaspoons of HC gravy. I will do his +2 in about 30 minutes and then he will get a little more of his breakfast. I have been feeding him slowly, while being able to hang around in the morning, but that isn't my typical schedule because of work. Everyone has suggested that I not let him eat a lot until I see what his numbers are going to do, although... Chase is not one to NOT eat. He LOVES his food, and it is the center of his universe. LOL. A +2 should give a better idea of what the insulin is doing but at least the +1 wasn't like it's been in the last couple of days. :)

Darn it.... I gave him 2 teaspoons of med/high carb. After giving him HC this weekend, I got confused. :(

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  16. Bobbie And Bubba

You might want to keep the MC and the HC food in a different location or with a marker write on top of the lid MC and HC so you won't get them mixed up It's easy to do as some of the labels are just about the same color .

17. Bobbie And Bubba

Before his shots, you can give him his usual amount of food. The above is applying to when the numbers are dropping to not overfeed when steering them so they won't get too full in case you need to give some more steering food.

18. Sandi & Chase in AZ

His food is confusing me way too much. For now I think I just need to give him 1/2 his breakfast around shot time, and then the other half after his +2 (it's only because it's not an official work day that I'm able to do a +2 for sure.)

According to his weight, Marje figured that Chase would need 4 cans of the Fancy Feast Classic, per day. Up until now, he has always eaten 2 meals per day... at the time of his insulin. I got into this habit because of the misinformation the vet gave me. Until I can afford a timed feeder, I will now be giving Chase 1/4 of his food in the morning at shot time, and will leave a 1/4 of his food out that I will have frozen. When I get home and after I test, I will give him his evening dose and then 1/4 of his evening meal. If at +1 he is doing fine and I don't have to give him any HC food, after his +2 I will put down the rest. I won't be able to be home constantly to spoon feed him. That's just not realistic.

At what % drop do I give him high carb food? Otherwise, I will give him his normal LC food.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  19. Sandi & Chase in AZ

I have already done that. I didn't give him HC because I made a mistake choosing the container it's in. I did it because that's what I had done over the weekend.

I don't have a clue how people who work full time can stay online and get and use advice like this. I haven't even been able to get ready for work. :(

20. Bobbie And Bubba

Sounds like a good plan. The HC food I hold until he hits 50 OR if there is a huge drop early in the cycle and you have to leave to go to work, then MC or HC food is a good idea. It will start to seem easier the more data you get and see how Chase responds to the insulin. I put the amount of food and carb % in the cell with the numbers so I see what that carb food does to the numbers. It's good data to have to look back to see how Chase responded.

21. Bobbie And Bubba

hugs, it is overwhelming at first. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. Sandi & Chase in AZ

People had me give him HC food this weekend when he dropped into the 70s.

23. Nan & Amber (GA)

The food thing is definitely confusing in general, but don't let it stress you out too much at this stage, for the most part it's a "fine tuning" kind of thing, and you can rely on expert help here to guide. The only time it is really critical is in situations like you had this weekend, where he dropped very low very early, and you were looking at (potentially) several hours in which you needed to be sure he'd eat for you when you needed him to.

On a normal day, people do meals in different ways. It's generally thought that diabetic cats do better with several small meals throughout the day, but that doesn't work with everyone's schedule and situation with other pets, so some people do just a couple big mealtimes at the shot times, and for many cats that works just fine. Just do what works for you and Chase for regular meals, and let folks here guide you about doing any additional food-steering-- luckily, he's a good eater so it sounds like he'd be happy with the kind of tsp at a time steering recommended even if he'd already had a full breakfast!

Yes-- we try to avoid the HC in everyday situations, but he needed it this weekend because of how low and how early he'd dropped. I don't think it's a big problem to have gotten some HC this morning, it'll just give him a different kind of "boost" than the LC does.

24. Bobbie And Bubba

It depends on when it the cycle it is. If it was early in the cycle, then yes. The food steering is a learning curve for sure. It will start to make more sense the more you do it.

25. Sandi & Chase in AZ

So much for having a good day.

+2 is 78 and I had already given him 2 tsp of HC gravy. I am beyond frazzled. I'm almost out of test strips. I have a new human meter and test strips but haven't even been able to set it up yet. Can anyone guide me so that I can get it ready without having to go through all of the instructions?

What do I feed, now? He still hasn't gotten all of his am regular meal. :(

26. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Repeat of this weekend at +2

27. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I would give him some more HC (maybe a tablespoon) and test again in about 20 minutes to see where he's at.

Does your human meter have a "short cut" set of instructions for setting it up? They usually come with both the "big book" of instructions, and a sheet of paper with quick steps that basically get you going.

I have to take a quick shower, but I'll check back again shortly. I'm sure there are others around, too.

28. Nan & Amber (GA)

Sandi, he'll do fine-- food will bring him back up, and as you've said, he's a good eater! I'm again going to leave the specific recommendations to the experts, but I'm guessing that once he has more food on board (possibly supplemented with a bit of honey or gravy), he'll just surf along like he did this weekend.

The only tricky thing is that you'll be gone for part of the day. This is going to sound like a weird thing to do, but can you quickly put some wet food in a baggie or something and throw it into the freezer? Often people leave out frozen "pucks" of cat food for mid-day meals-- in this case of course, it's not going to freeze completely in the hour or so before you leave, but it might freeze enough to slow him down so that he has to wait until a bit later in the day to eat.

29. Gill & George

Sorry just want to clarify this, because you are using a pet meter at the moment and they read slightly higher the point at which we bring out HC is usually 68. When you swap to the relion human meter that number becomes 50.

So yesterday, at 70 it was very early in the cycle, so the insulin was still building in his body, he was close to the cut off point, and he had dropped very quickly.
    So all of that made bringing out the HC the best choice. When it's early in the cycle the insulin starts to build from somewhere between +1 and +2 reaching a maximum level of action around about +6 (the above does vary a bit from cat to cat)

Today, he had a steep drop at +1 but because he was still way off that 68, I would have been tempted to just go with the LC,
    It's OK that you used the gravy when you saw that drop and it will provide you with some useful data, you can see what the HC does to his blood glucose and that will be useful info to have when you have to leave to go into work.
    I'm guessing when you get the +2 that his numbers will have come up some. It will be interesting to see by how much.

Sandi just want to get this straight.
    You fed a 1/4 can ff this morning just before you shot.
    What was the last time he had some food in the night? I'm just wondering if the amps was at all influenced by food.
    It's important that he not have any food for two hours before you get the AMPS/PMPS

Edited to add
    ignore my comments I just saw the +2, you posted while I was writing out this post, I would go with Amys recommendation of a good helping of HC now.

30. Bobbie And Bubba

Thanks Gill, I missed the AT2 :confused: Good catch .

31. Gill & George

Give him a good helping of a high carb meal.

32. Sandi & Chase in AZ

I am using the Alpha Trak 2. I need to change to the human meter right away and finally got it set up. Hopefully Marje can adjust the spreadsheet. The tests I've done this morning are all with the Alpha Trak, but I only have a few strips left. I had NO idea I would blow through $70 worth of test strips in a weekend. :(

His numbers went way down even after the HC gravy. I just gave him more HC gravy. I don't understand this. It's nothing like it has been.

Chase was doing so good before I changed his food.

I fed him 1/4 can of Fancy Feast AFTER I got his AMPS. Then I gave him his shot.
    He didn't eat during the night.
    I have never given him food for 2 hours before I test.

33. Bobbie And Bubba

Actually, he is doing so Good now! The change in food has resulted in him not needing as much insulin and I wouldn't be surprised if he is off the juice soon. With some kitties just a diet change to lower carb food is enough to get them off the juice

34. Sandi & Chase in AZ

He is eating Gravy Lovers FF right now. I will test again in 5 minutes.

Why... after HC gravy did he drop so much. I don't understand any of this. If this hadn't been a holiday, I wouldn't have been here to see that +2. I don't know how to do this since I have to work an I work 10 hour days. He will have to get insulin at more than 12 hours apart if I am to be able to get +3 every day, which it seems is what's happening. Tomorrow I won't be here long after I give him his shot. I honestly don't know what to do, now.

35. Gill & George

These lower numbers though nerve wracking for us humans when we have administered insulin. Are good numbers.
    A healthy non diabetic cat would have normal blood sugar in the 50-80 range. (human meter)
    He is doing great after the food change, giving you palpitations, but he is doing great.

Don't worry about the ss for now, we'll fix it later.

Thanks for answering, I was just wondering if that might explain the drop we saw.
    Your method is good.

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  36. Gill & George

How much gravy have you given him?
    I would get a test at +2.5.

37. Doodles & Karen

Did you recently remove dry food? If so that is why you're seeing such a difference. It's stressful for now but if he can go into remission soon because of the food change you won't have to deal with diabetes much longer.

Good call on the HC at +1, and yes, give him more HC now as you just did.

@Gill & George Sandi is following SLGS so honestly giving HC once he goes below 90 is the best idea.

38. Sandi & Chase in AZ

I can't measure the gravy. I can barely get it out of the can without the slivers of food, which he will NOT eat.

I just ran the FF Gravy Lovers through my Nutribullet and put down a little less than 1/4 cup. He ate it all and he is still hungry.

39. Doodles & Karen

Wait 15-30 min. It takes at least 15-30 minutes for the food to hit his system.

40. Sandi & Chase in AZ

He has been off of ALL dry food for weeks, now.

41. Sandi & Chase in AZ

He just finished off the bit of HC that I put down. I won't just give the gravy anymore because I can't hardly measure it. I had no idea I would have to be measuring every single individual serving I put down for him.

So then.... should I test in 30 minutes?

42. Doodles & Karen

Ok, since he dropped below 90, on SLGS anytime they go below 90 you reduce the dose. Even if it is the depot talking from the .5u it doesn't matter. It's safer to bring the dose down and if needed go back up later. Here is a picture of the .1u dose starting tonight.
    01unit-1.jpg

43. Gill & George

Somewhere between +1 and +2 his insulin onset and he had a strong reaction to it.
    Sometimes they do just dive like that, and given the last couple of days, it seems that Chase likes a high dive.
    So what today tells us, if you see his +1 dropping, instead of giving him LC meal, you might want to give him a full on HC meal.
    and leave some HC kitty icicles out for him to nibble on.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  44. Bobbie And Bubba

If it were me, I would test in 20 mins with that drop, this early.

45. Doodles & Karen

Don't worry about "measuring it". Geesh, I've never measured the gravy, most important is to get his numbers up and start surfing. Some get very technical here on the board at it's really not necessary.

46. Doodles & Karen

20-30 min is fine.

47. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Chase had been eating nothing but Purina DM for weeks. As soon as I changed him to FF Classic, his numbers started going all over the place.

When I look up the carbs for Purina DM Pate, it says 7%. Why is that so bad?

48. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

Why is Purina DM so bad for Chase?

49. Gill & George

It's not that bad and 7%.
    But I don't see much midcycle data before the 17th feb, so I am curious, how do you know he wasn't going low?
    If you were not testing it's possible, he was dropping, and then bouncing up by preshot, even when he was on the purina.

50. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Wait.... what? :( Marje said that since I only just took him down to .25 that I shouldn't change anything right away. I'm so, so confused. :(

51. Gill & George

I think its to do with the quality of the protein, if you look at the list of ingredients that might shed some light.
    Sorry I've never used it and the formulation in the us is likely different to UK

52. Sandi & Chase in AZ

I don't know that he wasn't going low. I suspect that maybe he has been all along.

53. Doodles & Karen

We usually don't take back to back reductions because of the depot which is why @Marje and Gracie is recommending you hold the dose. Given your situation with working, being new and changes with Chase I recommend you do reduce the dose tonight to .1u. Worse case you have to go back up in dose which is not the end of the world. Safety first.

See the second bullet point below in the SLGS sticky.
    Hold the dose for at least a week:
    • Unless your cat won’t eat or you suspect hypoglycemia
    • Unless your kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L). If kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L) decrease the dose by 0.25 unit immediately

54. Sandi & Chase in AZ

79 BG 20 minutes after good portion of HC. Putting down more.

55. Doodles & Karen

Ok breath, he's safe. You're doing good and sure Chase is liking the extra food . Check again in 30 min. Might even add a little LC to the HC this way it helps keep him surfing

56. Sandi & Chase in AZ

I haven't been able to do this quick enough. At AMPS he was 237, at +1 he was 163, at +2 he dropped to 78. With mixing up more HC food, I didn't get a test in until +3, and he is still only at 79. He has had almost all of 1/2 day worth of food, plus extra HC. Gravy at 2 different times and blended up food 2 times. I know that his number is safe, so I guess I will just have to leave out HC food. I MUST get to work. If I lose my job I can't take care of Chase at all. :(

57. Gill & George

It is confusing and it may be an issue in which some of us disagree, so you may need to make an informed choice.

Because Lantus is a depot insulin, this means that part of the dose gets to work straight away and another part is stored and slow released, the size of the depot (stored slow release) is directly related to the size of the dose, the larger the dose the larger the depot. Every time you change a dose the depot has to adjust, so if you take the dose up it takes up to 6 cycles for the depot to refill and for you to see the full effect of the dose. If you take the dose down it takes 6 cycles to for the depot to reduce and for you to see the full effect of the reduction.

So because you only just took the dose down, this mornings cycle is likely influenced by the depot of the 0.5u you shot yesterday.
    So usually we don't take back to back reductions, because if we get to ahead of ourselves with the reductions it can back fire and yes though we can take the dose back up sometimes it can back fire and we have seen instances of having to go way back up the dosing ladder before we start to see the nicer numbers again.

Ideally to get the best chance of remission, we would like to see him flatten out, and have his ss looking mostly green. (or Green/blue as you are doing slgs), continuing with insulin support for as long as it is safe to do so.

There's some time yet before you have to make that decision, so first things first and lets get this kitties numbers up.
    78 is safe, but would like to seem him up higher.
    If he doesn't like the HC food, how about adding honey/syrup to his ff if he likes that and eats it with gusto.
    That will make his usual food HC. A couple of teaspoons of honey, or a good dollop (don't want to get to scientific on you;))
    Just mix it right in with his FF

ETA Just to be clear I was following on from previous post where I said to leave a whole tin out and so adding a teaspoon to a whole tin and mixing it in. Too much honey can make a kitty sick.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  58. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Oh... ok. I see what you're saying. Its very difficult to see that amount of insulin. Will this be 1/2 of the .25?

59. Gill & George

Leave him a lot of food down, it doesn't matter if he overeats for a day. It's important to keep him safe.
    If he is more likely to eat the FF do mix that in with honey, it will carb him up nicely.

60. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Oh... he likes ALL of the food. I'm lucky, that way. When he was first diagnosed I did have to resort to baby food, just to get him to eat. But since he's been on insulin for a while, his appetite is back to the way it always has been. Food is this guy's best friend. LOL. I'm a close 2nd, though.. :)

61. Gill & George

Its a blessing to have a kitty that you know will eat when you are dealing with dropping numbers, BFG is like that, I think I come a close second to his food too.LOL

62. Doodles & Karen

Is that 79 on the AT meter or
    Yes, I is not an easy dose to measure but it's less that the .25 you shot this morning. Most important is that you are as consistent as possible. The picture is there to give you a guide.

63. Sandi & Chase in AZ

I am still using the Alpha Trak, so the 79 is on the Alpha Trak. I will begin using the human meter this evening. In that instance, going below 50 is the new low?

Is the new dose you are recommending half of what the .25 is? I have new syringes that have the smaller increments and .25 is even difficult to get on the mark. Oh wow. :(

64. Doodles & Karen

With SLGS you take reductions below 90 regardless. Too low is below 50 on a human meter.

Yes, the .1u dose is smaller than the .25u dose. Do the best you can....that's what we all do. The .1u dose, the plunger is just at the bottom of the zero line as the picture I gave you shows.

65. Sandi & Chase in AZ

I'm so sorry. I have a hard time seeing something so small on my laptop, which is all I have at home. I will pull it up at work and try to do a print out. Thank you for all of your help. I wasn't trying to get a "better" answer about the dose. It's just that I can't see the picture that well. I appreciate all of the support and time you've taken. :)

66. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Thank you SO much for posting all of this. It all helps me so much. I need to print so many thing so that I can easily read them at my leisure (LOL... yeah, what's that when you have a DB Kitty).. LOL. And then read them over and over and over again. :)

67. Doodles & Karen

68. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I actually do most of my reading and typing from my cel

69. Doodles & Karen

What @Gill & George posted about the reductions and the depot above is very true. However if you are unable to test mid cycle every day I'm going with safety first and stand by taking the dose reduction. As Gill said, we will often times have different opinions. It's your responsibility @Sandi & Chase in AZ to read all the information and make the final decision.

To me it looks like Chase started bouncing last night after the greens yesterday and decided to clear the bounce this morning which is a very quick bounce clearing. Sometimes when a kitty starts "changing" and earning reductions they go down pretty quickly.

If you were home and able to monitor closely for the next few cycles my answer would agree to hold the dose and ride out the depot draining process. Since you are unable to do this and per the SLGS sticky, it's best to lower the dose. Just my opinion...you always hold the syringe.

70. Veronica & Babu-chiri

I'm glad Chase is going up, I don't have enough experience on dosing and all of that but I do work full time and my beloved Babu is a diver ( he likes to go from really high numbers to really low numbers ) and a finicky eater which makes giving him HC or gravy ( believe it or not he sometimes do not wants gravy food ) a little bit hard (I really envy that you can leave food out and he would eat it on his own that will help him a lot), so I kind of get what you are going through just take a deep breath once in a while and I think that other than his insulin dose which has to be as consistent as you can, try not to worry so much about how much he eats at this point as long as he eats.

I know that 0.1 can be tricky (been there ) kind of find a point close to what the photo shows and just try to use that point as a reference so that is always the same point on every shoot and your dose is consistent (getting a calipher latter on may help with this weird doses but is not indispensable)

Be prepared to maybe skip a shoot once in a while, it sucks and his numbers get all over so I really really try not to, but sometimes I have no choice to keep him safe, I have also had get a tec from the vet to go to my home to shoot him because I was not going to be able to get back home on time, and my sister goes to my home some days when I think he may be needing some extra supervisión, meaning I need someone to give him food because he won't eat on his own (love her for that)

Anyway I'm not complaining or anything just wanted to let you know you are not alone in all of this, it's hard sometimes but you love Chase very much and I think you are doing a terrific job (lot better than I did at first ) and sending you lots and lots of :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

71. Bobbie And Bubba

Yep, I have always used the protocol as a guideline and not an absolute. There have been times when I have given Bubba an "unearned" reduction ( he didn't drop below 50 on a human meter ) and I was glad that I did . And there have been times when I advised someone to do the same and others spoke up and disagreed but as Karen said, you make the final decision after you get different opinions as you hold the syringe.

Speaking of syringe, yes, those .10 are tough to read. I bought a pair of reading glasses that were a couple higher strengths that I normally use to help and use a magnifying glass.

I am so liking what I am seeing with Chase and I have a hunch that he could be getting off this stuff before you even learn his patterns and trends. Anti -jinx upload_2017-2-20_13-21-5.png

72. Veronica & Babu-chiri

So did I

73. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Thank you so much. That is very sweet. :)

I don't have anyone who can even feed Chase, so it's all me. No friends in Tucson... no family. I will just keep doing the best that I can. Thank God for this board. I will have to try a new vet at some point, as I have fired the old one. The information I got was so horrible. My money is all but gone, so I'm not sure what I'll do at this point. I'm still supposed to buy a baby scale and a timed feeder. Then I need new brakes on my car because mine are unsafe. But if there is no money, there is no money. I will just have to take things a day at a time. :)

I have heard a few people say that they "suspect", from looking at Chase's numbers so far, that he end up going into remission. I don't understand that, as his numbers still get high even being on insulin. So if he wasn't on it at all... wouldn't his numbers keep getting high? Or is that where the consistent dose of insulin, over time, changes things? So much... SO MUCH to learn. :)

74. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’m your friend in Tucson :):):) In this group, even though we usually don’t get the wonderful opportunity to meet each other, we do become friends. It’s a great place!

A couple things I want to clarify. First, in reference to back-to-back reductions, I was speaking “in general” and not pertaining to this specific dose.

Second, there are two sides to the current issue on the dose and I do think we should wait until a +10 or +11 test later today to decide.
    • yes, he’s on SLGS and reductions are usually given below 90 and yes, it’s possible this is still depot from the 0.5u
    • overall, his numbers don’t necessarily indicate he has too much insulin at the 0.25u dose but his early drops are taking him below 90 which is a concern with the fact that Sandi must get to work on time but keep him safe
    • I am also seeing that he really responds to food especially HC. For those of us who have been around awhile, we absolutely know that our cat needs a reduction, even if they just had one, because we are fighting lower numbers all cycle even with higher carb foods. That isn’t happening here.
    What I’d like to see is if we can get him to flatten out before we decrease the dose (assuming he does not come back down a lot during today’s cycle). Gill alluded to this in her post #57 when she said:
    I think it is worth trying to feed him closer to a MC food at preshot and +1 to see if that will stop these steep +1/+2 dives and get him to flatten out which will allow Sandi to safely get the 0.25u in him. The longer he is in normal, healing numbers, the better for him. As you all may recall, when we have a cat almost ready to go into remission on a drop of insulin but the numbers are “quite there” yet, we usually suggest the caregiver (CG) feed a little bit higher carb food to achieve the same purpose.

Sandi...if he’s has gone up or surfed during the day so his preshot is about what it has been lately and not in normal numbers (~68-130 on AT and 50-120 on human meter), why don’t we try an experiment tonight? How about leaving the dose at 0.25u and mixing the MC food you have (which, as I remember is 12/13%) equally with the LC food you have so he gets about an 8-10% food at PS and +1? We can see how it affects the drop (although he doesn’t always drop at night). If he drops and it doesn’t affect it much but he doesn’t go below 90, we can try a little more MC in the morning or even straight MC at AMPS and +1. Depending on where he is at +1, you can leave MC or even HC catsicles out for him.

This is just an option. Since you will be home tonight, even if he doesn’t drop at +1 and +2, if you feed as I have suggested and he shoots up, we know it might be worth a try tomorrow. But the bottom line is you hold the syringe and if dropping to 0.1u makes you feel safer about leaving him, then it is absolutely ok. We can always take the dose back up.

He’s definitely on a mission!!!

75. Sandi & Chase in AZ

At w
    At work and checking in. I will print this and read when I get home. I have all my notes on LC, MC, HC Fancy Feast foods at home and don't have much of the MC or HC. I guess I'll just swing by Petsmart on my way home and get more of the HC and more of the LC. I can mix them to make MC. I will be cutting it very close to time, but I won't have time at all this week. I will have to be at work every spare minute, and be home with home with him every "other" spare minute. LOL

76. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Sandi, I did this for five years, and I still print stuff out so I can re-read it. It's great to have it, anyway, in case your laptop battery dies or the power goes out. Also, it's easier to find a piece of paper in a folder or binder than a post on a computer sometimes. Whatever works for you is the best way to do it.

You're doing awesome. Hang in there!

77. Sandi & Chase in AZ

I know you are my friend, Marje. You are my "new" friend. Other than that, I have no one here. It's kind of lonely for me. :(

Marje... I found the "How To Treat Hypos" easy enough and printed it, but I'm having a hard time finding the other 2... "Low Pre-Shot" and "Low Numbers" to print. They are probably right in front of me but I'm at work. :( I looked and don't see them but I'm wading through a TON of documents. Can you direct me? Are those within a certain "Sticky"?

78. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Nevermind... I found all 3 things we talked about as being the most important. They are now printed. :)

79. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Marje... just to clarify... do you think I should feed him MC in the a.m. only and keep him on LC in p.m. since his numbers haven't been dropping after the p.m. shoot? Also, when I have to leave for work and I need to leave frozen food down, is it the LC or MC I should leave for later in the day, and only give him the MC in the a.m.?

80. Marje and Gracie

I had linked them for you so you just needed to click on the link. Is that how you found them? Any time you see print in a light or dark blue in the condo, if you click on it, it takes you to the info we are referencing.

81. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Oops. Sorry about that. No... I just searched and found them. I don't even see where you linked them in a post, but I don't need to search for that, now. I will "try" to remember for future reference. I have SO MUCH to read through. Thank you so much for ALL of your help. cat_wings>o

82. Marje and Gracie

Click on THIS LINK, post 105 on page 2.

I think that if you can, it would be worth trying tonight just so you can see if it works. He did drop at night on 2/17 and 2/18. If you can't also buy MC food, then you could mix a small amount of HC with LC but don't do half and half unless we find he needs that.

Insofar as when to leave what kind of carbs when you leave, it's one of those things you need to play by ear. It depends on where his BG is at AMPS and what direction it looks like it is headed when you get ready to leave. At that point, decide on whether to leave him MC or HC...or, if he's really high, leave LC.

83. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Thanks, Marje. So far, at work, I've not had time to research MC food, so mixing some HC in with the LC will have to do, for now.

84. Bobbie And Bubba

The MC foods in the Fancy Feast Line are the Roasted They are around 12%- 15% The label colors are very close in hue to the LC so be mindful of that and marking the carb count on top like you are doing is helpful.

85. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Doh... you beat me to it. Thank you so, so much. That helps me right now, more than you know.

86. Bobbie And Bubba

;)

87. Marje and Gracie

Yesterday, you had a couple containers of Meow Mix that were 12 and 13%. I’m pretty sure you marked them.

88. Sandi & Chase in AZ

I will probably only get online tonight to post in Chase's SS. I've been looking at computer screens every day, all day, for over a week straight. I badly need to give my eyes a break. That being said, if he is in danger I will get online immediately and stay online for as long as I have to. I'm hoping and praying that he and I can both get a break, this evening.

I am going to stay home long enough tomorrow morning to get a +2 at the very least, if the +2 is low I will try to stay long enough to get a +3... or maybe even a +2.5. I already emailed my boss and let him know I would be late tomorrow. I do have some flexibility at work, and I am asking if I can work a temporary adjusted work schedule, just until I can be sure that Chase quits doing this dip every morning. Also, I am asking if I can work from home if he needs me there to take care of him. There is a good possibility that my work will do this for me because my position, while I am the only one who does it, does not require interacting with people face to face or on the phone, except in rare circumstances. This way, I can be a little more consistent with Chase's care. Fingers crossed. :)

Signing out for now. Must make sure I can get to Petsmart and then home in time to stay on schedule.

89. Bobbie And Bubba

This is so true!! :)

90. Sandi & Chase in AZ

I only had one, Marje. This morning I tried giving him Meow Mix when his number was low and he didn't like it at all. I want to stick with FF. He is really like all of those, now. :)

Will you be on this evening, Marje, just in case he does something different than what we've been seeing? I'm hoping he tests close to the same as he usually does in the evening. Then I will give him the .25 u and feed him MC food. Right?

91. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Ok... so here's what I'm hoping to do. There's so much going on in my pea brain, so this helps me.

6:15 PMPS test and hope he's doing his "normal" thing
    6:30 Shoot .25 units and feed 1/4 cup MC food
    7:30 +1 test and if he's not LOW,
    7:35 Feed the rest of the MC food. If he IS low, I will post and see. Probably give him some HC gravy like I have been, but only if he's done that swan dive thingy
    8:30 +2 test and hope he's doing good
    10:30 +3 test right before bed. If all is well, I am going to sleep until the alarm goes off at 6:00 tomorrow morning.

Tues A.M.
    6:00 get up and get his stuff ready and make my cup of tea
    6:15 AMPS test and hope he's doing his normal, but just in case something is off, this gives me 10 minutes to post and see if anyone is on. If all is ok,
    6:30 Shoot .25 units and feed 1/4 cup MC food
    7:30 +1 test and pray that he doesn't dive
    8:30 +2 test and if he's ok, feed 1/4 cup MC food. If he dives, post and see. Will give some HC gravy like Ii have been.
    9:30 +3 test and pray he's ok because I will need to go to work. If he's still low, I can leave out some MC or LC food

PM
    Assess and see if dosing can stay the same or if it should be different.

Does that all sound ok?

92. Marje and Gracie

Yes I will be here. Thanks for the schedule. I will be watching.

As far as tomorrow, let's see what tonight brings with the dose and feeding. The schedule is fine but let's leave the dose open.

93. Sandi & Chase in AZ

I have 144 on the human meter. What does that mean? It's the first time I've not used the Alpha Trak. I'm going to feed 1/4 cup MC food and shoot .25 u in 15 minutes unless I hear otherwise. :)

94. Marje and Gracie

Just to let you know I'm standing by and see the 144 @+11.25. Thank you so much for posting that number is with the ReliOn meter.

If you are willing to give the food experiment a try, I think that is high enough to give the 0.25u and feed MC.

95. Sandi & Chase in AZ

Thank you. I just emailed you, too. :)

What does the 144 mean? Is that consistent with what he's been testing with the Alpha Trak meter? I will have to relearn the numbers. I hope you guys don't get sick of me asking. :)

96. Bobbie And Bubba

@Marje and Gracie , correct me if I am wrong but, I would think that would still be a blue number on the AT2. Chase is not bouncing to the moon which is great. Good that you got a +11.25 but still get a PMPS before you shoot and post.

97. Sandi & Chase in AZ

But I just tested and am about to shoot. Why would I poke him again? :( That's only 15 minutes between testing and shooting. His ears are so bruised, as it is.

Again... I'm not understanding. I'm just going to wait until +1 because that's what Marje and I agreed on... unless I'm wrong... again... :(

98. Marje and Gracie

Yes, I got your PM but am responding here.

If it's 15 minutes since testing and shooting, you don't need to test again.

99. Bobbie And Bubba

Wasn't the 144 at +11.25? That would be 45 minutes to go till PMPS and the numbers can change in 45 minutes time. Are you back on schedule now?

100. Bobbie And Bubba

I was going my this. Sorry for any confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.