2/22 Blackie

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Ele & Blackie (GA), Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Blackie is still fighting the infection. Today is day 5 on the Clavamox. Blackie's appetite was a little off on Saturday, but seemed better yesterday and last night. I've been struggling to find a dose that will keep him out of the high numbers. Last night's 3.2 gave us an amps of 200, but I was reluctant to lower the dose too much, so we gave 3.0 this am. DH will check at +6 today.

I hope everyone is having a good Monday. The sun finally came out here after 3 days of snow, cold and clouds. We have daffodils coming up in the yard, so I know Spring will come someday. :razz:

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Maybe the sun & flowers will give him that extra push to get feeling better. I know both have that effect for me. :) Hope he is feeling better soon.

3. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

DH just called: +6 55
    He's going to feed him and check again in an hour. I guess I finally got the action I was looking for. :mrgreen:

4. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Whoa!! I'd say you sure did get the action you were looking for. :) Can't wait to read today's posting!

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

The lack of appetite could be causing the lows.

As you know we battle that all de time with H and yesterday was a very good example of what happens with H when his appetite is off.
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... XYwVFJ4M0E
    Appetite is so hard to account for in dosing because one is always reactive to it. There is no possible way to be proactive to it.

But sometimes the lack of appetite allows one to get into those unexpected lows then hold the BG in lower territory that it would have taken longer to reach under normal circumstances.

Appetite is everything when it comes to how much insulin they need. I've actually been playing with the idea of tracking exactly how much he eats [I already weigh everything he eats] and trying to correlate it to dosing.

6. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Wow , I was about to make fun of you Gator, until I realized I can't talk. I have a precise, measured out science experiment every 12 hours mixing up my guys brew.... now all I need is a scale and a bunson burner. :lol:

7. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

Well Tabby eats like a pig most days but when he dosen't I break out the oceanwhitefish flavor and he will suck that down. I only use fish flavors for emergency's. Glad you're getting better numbers.

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

I think this is what people do for people diabetes, at least that is what I saw on Supernanny, my source of all knowledge. :lol:

There was one epi with a Type 1 diabetic child, and the parents had a calculator out with each meal to figure out the insulin dose needed vs. the carb content of that meal. The scary part (Supernanny to the rescue!) was that the kid would get rebellious and used not eating as his power play of choice with the rents (kids are SO smart!). So anyhow, they used the meter and the calculator a LOT, as well as keeping a hawkish eye on exactly how much he ate, measured portions, etc. Really actually made what we do look easy (well at least me, only feeding one kind of food, with cat who will almost always eat, even if his tummy is a little off), since cat food is pre-blended and known nutrional info (thanks to Janet & Binky!!!), vs. a plate of kid food that might be different every meal.

Anyhow, so I'd laugh at you were it not for Supernanny. :lol:

9. Gator & H (GA)

OK so here's the thing. That time, for once, I actually wasn't trying to inject some humor into things. But thank you for giving me the opportunity to externalize my mess and have a laugh at it too. LOL

Seriously folks, this is a good example of why my friends think I've lost it! At least I'm not the only one laughing. :D

Just in case it is not clear, I weigh because I mix the home cooked with the Wellness on a 50-50 by weight basis [to arrive at a pretty awesomely constructed/balanced diet if I say so myself]. And NOW H has decided that he has to have two flavors of food down at all times. So that's twice the weighing!!! It is so FUNNY to watch him eat when he has two choices. He goes to his food and sniffs both piles then take a bite of one then sniffs both piles then you can kind of see his little fur brain processing which pile he's going to eat from next. And this goes on and on. Watching him process which pile he's going to chose next it the funniest part. I was watching him do it this morning and was trying not to laugh to loudly at him because that would have definitely put the nix on his breakfast.

10. Joanna & Bix (GA)

oh sorry Gator, I wasn't really laughing even, just being silly :)

when Bix has had times of nausea I've thought of developing a sliding scale based on how well he is eating, but thankfully he has done better now on the Wellness, so it's a non-issue for now...

that is cute about H deciding which food to eat... I have a civie who does that with which litter box to use (I have them in 2 different spots, so she goes back and forth between the two areas repeatedly with the "fur brain" lol in high gear) - 99.9% of the time she uses the same box in the end, so it really seems like a waste of brain power to me ;-)

hope H is doing well these days, and enjoying his LC buffet! :D

11. Gator & H (GA)

I think I'm going to post a new topic on H.

No sorry about it - sometimes I forget how genuinely funny my sitch is. I'm glad I have you guys and others to help me keep my perspective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.