2/22 Donovan's birthday... update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MJ+Donovan, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

last condo: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57474

This update has been a long time coming, and this seemed like an appropriate occasion to finally do it. I am going to spread it over several posts, as a lot has happened in the past 3 months, and I can only put so many links in each post. Some of you are aware of events already, but many of you are not. Please know that I have still been reading FDMB and LL even though I have not posted. I keep the sick kitties in my prayers always, and cry too-familiar tears when another precious soul makes the journey to the Bridge.

Today, February 22, is Donovan's 16th birthday... in earth years that is. Donny is forever young and healthy at the Rainbow Bridge since November 28, 2011. It still doesn't seem real, and I cannot bring myself to call him GA or change my FDMB username. He is "home", with Butthead, but I so often long to be able to touch him again :cry:. I loved when he would sit beside me and I'd just pet his shiny black fur as he snoozed.

[​IMG]

One of my favorite baby Donny photos:
    [​IMG]

and one of my favorite shots of Butthead and Donny together:
    [​IMG]

continued...

2. MJ+Donovan

I believe I shared Donovan's beginnings a long time ago on the old board, but I don't think many here are aware of how truly special Donny is. There's no way around it -- he was a "whoops". His dad is a Maine Coon, his mom is a Scottish Fold. The breeder was horrified when she realized what had happened. Poor mom had to have a c-section to get those big babies out. Donovan was the first born. He wasn't breathing, and the vet pronounced him dead and put him aside :sad: . The breeder was present and took over, and she brought Donovan back. The babies had to be tube fed frequently; bless the breeder for taking this on when they weren't even "purebred" kittens. They were just as precious to her. When I heard about him and then received photos of him (in the days before instant digital sharing), there was no doubt that he belonged with me, and she agreed that I could have him. I had lost my tuxedo cat Andrew in November 1995 to cancer at the age of 17. On June 5, 1996, baby Captain Shane Andrew Abraham Donovan flew from Florida to Boston, and I picked him up at the airport.

I adopted my first purebred Scottish Fold a few months before Donny was born, and started taking her to cat shows. Just for fun, I took Donovan too, and he was a hit in the household pet class. In fact, he was 2nd best household pet of the year in 1997-1998 (so close!). Here's a picture from a photo shoot with the winner that year, Marilyn Monroe:
    [​IMG]

Before I continue, here's Donny's OTJ-versary condo from last year so those who haven't seen his video can watch it:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38861&p=411147
    [youtube]sx1tDoDIVwI&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

continued...

3. MJ+Donovan

Life after Donovan left has been beyond crazy, and for the most part, unfortunately, not in a good way. I almost feel like I haven't been able to mourn him properly, so it tends to come in random unexpected waves of deep sadness. There was little time for it. I wish I was making this up. Read on...

My civvie Holleigh-berri, a white Scottish Fold, became very ill at the beginning of December, right after Donny. I took her to my vet for bloodwork, and her renal values were higher than he'd ever seen. He didn't think she would pull through and really could not help her, so I took her to Angell in Boston. She spent time in critical care on IV fluids and had a nasal feeding tube for a while too, as well as an echocardiogram after a heart murmer was detected. Having this occur so soon after losing Donny, I expected a similar outcome. I never dreamed I would lose him, but I did, so...

Holleigh-berri in CCU
    [​IMG]
    I drove to Boston to visit her every day, and after lots of "Maybe she can come home in a few days", 11 days later, her renal values stablized and she was finally released. I might as well have signed over my paycheck to them, but what can you do? She clearly had the strength to fight through it, so as long as that continued, I supported what had to be done. Now she has to get subq fluids daily, a special diet, and periodic bloodwork. I honestly don't think I would have been up to the task if I hadn't gone through diabetes with Donovan, though I have to say that CRF is pretty darn complicated. Big thanks to the FDMB members who I contacted privately for advice. So far, Holleigh-berri has maintained steady renal values since the end of December. They are still above normal, but far lower than they were initially. She definitely acts like she feels better, and is her usual cranky spitfire self now. She turned 11 on Feb 10. So maybe this streak of losing my beautiful felines was broken? Perhaps not. Keep reading...

About a month ago, Daphne Moon (another civvie foldie) was not eating much and puking/liquipooing, so I took her to the ER at Angell. At least there they could do immediate tests and begin treatment quickly if needed. After what I went through with Butthead and Donny, I felt like I couldn't take any chances with waiting. Daffy's renal values were elevated, though not horrific, and her abdomen appeared sensitive to palpation. So I left her there overnight for IV fluids and an ultrasound. In my mind I again thought the worst... a long stay in the hospital and who knows what diagnosis. The good news is she was only there for 2 days. The bad news is they took aspirates during the ultrasound and she has large cell lymphoma in her spleen. She began chemo immediately and has had 4 rounds so far. Last week she seemed "off", and bloodwork indicated elevated renal values again. After a week of subq fluids, they are still high, so she did not have any chemo this week and I have to give her additional fluids to see if we can get her renal values down without a hospital stay. Daffy celebrated her 15th birthday on Feb 18. So many February babies here. Well, minus Donny now :cry:

Daffy
    [​IMG]

continued...

4. MJ+Donovan

ANYway, after this exceptionally long update, I think you can probably understand why I've been MIA. There *is* a bright spot in all of this, aside from having Holleigh-berri and Daphne Moon still here with me. After Butthead left, I began investigating adopting another boy. At that time, Donny was the only boy in the crew. I looked at shelter listings and profiles and also got in touch with a few Scottish Fold breeders. Marjorie suggested I contact Tobey's breeder, and she did have a litter that included a little red and white foldie. Unfortunately she wanted to keep him, so I sadly kept looking. I saw a local shelter listing for a black cat with damaged ears, and his face reminded me so much of Donovan. No other cat "spoke" to me before that, so I contacted the shelter, but he had just been adopted. His name was Puma. Not too long after that, and during the time I was dealing with Holleigh-berri's severe CRF, the breeder contacted me again and asked if I wanted an early Christmas present. "Piglet", as the baby red and white foldie had been called, was available after all, and he was mine if I wanted him. The timing of it made me wonder if Piglet was waiting for me to truly open my heart, and once I began to seriously consider adopting Puma, things began to fall into place. I was overjoyed and overwhelmed, but knew I could not make arrangements to get him until Holleigh-berri's situation was settled. So at the beginning of January, Piglet came to live with me.

[​IMG]

He will be 7 months old in a few days. He was born in July, like Butthead, and was most likely conceived around the time Butthead went to the Bridge. Coincidence? Who knows. But Piglet is Joy. He's not Butthead, though it's easy to forget sometimes when looking at that little face. I've accidentally called him "Buttpig" or "Pigbutt". And he's definitely not Donovan either (he was *never* this ADD!), but he's my little Piglet guy and he makes me smile.
    [​IMG]

Piglet's Big Adventure
    [youtube]lM-y4y64H50[/youtube]

Odd how after months of not hearing it, now I tend to hear Butthead's song "Smile" by Uncle Kracker several times a week, often on my many trips to Angell. I can picture Butthead sitting next to me in the car, just looking around and enjoying himself. I heard it this morning as I woke up, in fact. Maybe it was Butthead's way of reminding me to smile for Donovan too. I'm trying. But I miss my sweet Donny very very much...
    I know all of you here can understand that. Much love to you all, and I pray for you and your sweet babies and civvies constantly.

MJ & Donovan's & Butthead's spirits...
    and Piglet

5. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Oh MJ! :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: You and your sweet babies have been through so much! I am so glad that you once again have "Joy" in your life. Strong vines for Holleigh-berri and Daphne and smiles for silly little Piglet!

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You have had the year of heartbreak and the year from hell. What strength you have to say nothing of Holleigh-berri and Daffy.

Piglet is just adorable. How can he not make you feel better. What a sweet face!! Kittens do wonders for the soul, the heart, and the mind. (Gizmo just makes me giggle.) You deserve all of those good things -- you're one incredible bean.

7. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Wow, MJ, you've had so much to deal with. (((((((Hugs))))))) Donovan's story and tribute all brought tears to my eyes. And sweet Butthead, who could forget the valiant struggle you guys went through? And I loved seeing how he was never a victim but stood strong on those car rides to his cancer treatments. It is wonderful that you were able to help Holleigh-Berri back to better health. I like that she's her cranky spitfire personality again. And OMG, Daphne Moon too? So glad she celebrated her 15th birthday with you.

I admire you so much for the dedicated and intense care you are giving your sweet foldie family. And little Piglet, what can I say? He brought smiles to you again, I love that. And I love seeing his cute little face with those big eyes. Adorable!!!!

Hang in there, I think of you often. cat_pet_icon

8. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

MJ on our 4th anniversary I just want to say you are a devoted, loving caring sweet Cat person, who gives her all to dear sweet kitties to give them better lives..We cant bring our GA's back but we can give our love to those kitties who have no where to go or need special help...That's why this new baby was sent to you--by Donny or BH, but she was sent to you--Prayers for all your babies to be well & happy, we know how well they are cared for & loved..Miss you-Hugs & love from us!

9. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

aw, that little piglet is enough to make anyone's spirits soar! i'm so glad it worked out for you to have him.

you're so devoted, mj! your little ones have been lucky to find you - and i don't think they ever truly leave. :YMHUG: it's good to see a post from you. joining with you in celebrating captain donny's life!

10. Melissa and Bailey

Melissa and Bailey Well-Known Member

MJ, really good to hear from you, I have been wondering how you were doing! And it sounds like you have been through a LOT. Sending lots of good kidney vines your way for both Holleigh-Berri and Daphne. :YMHUG:

I enjoyed reading Donovan's story, thank you for posting it. And Piglet! Squee! He is adorable and I agree with Sienne, kittens are the best medicine!

11. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((MJ)))

Wow, what a lot you and your babies have been going through. Thank you so much for taking the time to update us and to share your photos. I know that Donovan and Butthead are together, and are looking in on you on this special day. Happy Birthday, Donovan. There are so many here who miss you.

I am sending healing vines to Holleigh-berri and to Daphne. Your babies are fighters, and you are a very special Mom to them.

Piglet is pretty much the cutest thing I have ever seen, especially in the photo with all of the pink pigs. I am glad that he makes you smile. You deserve it.

12. Rocket & his Mom

Rocket & his Mom Well-Known Member

I'm glad you finally posted about your babies....i know you've had a rough time...

i love Piglet's video....and i'm glad your girls are doing ok all things considered....I've been MIA as well but i keep you always in my thoughts and prayers.....

as always...i'm here if you need help

hugs to you and your babies :D

i know Donovan is celebrating his birthday and i'm sure Butthead is the one that threw him a grand party!!!

13. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow. So many things in your life, I am so happy to hear about your new addition!

14. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update .. I can't believe all the sadness you've had to endure .. but let's smile that your babies are still with you .. and that you have a new ADORABLE addition to your home .. :YMHUG:

15. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

MJ, this is a wonderful celebration of Donovan's life. He and Butthead are so much a part of Lantus Land legend. Seeing these pictures and videos is very special. Thank you for sharing them on Donovan's day. I often see your signature in the "who's online" list and have been thinking of you a lot. It is good news that Holleigh-berri and Daphne Moon are doing OK, thanks to your loving care. And Piglet is adorable! It is so fine that this beautiful and playful kitten is bringing new joy and happiness to your life.

Rusty sends much love, as do I,

Many :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: s

Ella & Rusty (and Stu, celebrating Donny's birthday at the Bridge)

16. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing your story with us here in LL. There are many new faces here since those terrible times. And where else but LL can you find such loving support from so many who understand so well. After such a miserable year, it's nice to see that another special kitty has decided you're the one and adopted you! Things must be on their way up. It's all about the love! :YMHUG:

17. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

thank you for sharing MJ - it has been such a rough yuear for you. This is such a great celebration of Donovan's life - the photos and videos are wonderful. I love the new addition - the timing is perfect. Hugs from all here!

18. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

This post had a big heart tug, but at the same time refilled my heart. Your family is made up of such special kitties. Donny and Butthead are watching over them and you.

Hearing Donny's story is nothing short of amazing. He is a miracle cat. The breeder knew he was going to go to a special home.

I think of you and your gang so often. I'm glad you gave updates on Holleigh Berri and Daphne Moon. Please give them kisses from me, and that little Piglet and great big squishy hug. I love him to pieces.

19. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

MJ, you have the strength of a thousand beans! I'm so sorry you've had such a rough time. Piglet truly is a bright light and a sign of hope...and just so sweet and cute! Please keep us updated on his adventures!

20. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

((((MJ)))) You and your fur babies have dealt with some much over the last year. What a great gift Piglet will be to you and the girls. A kitten always brings out the best in beans and older kitties. Thank you for sharing the video of Piglet. I can definitely see how he can melt your heart.

I know that Butthead and Donovan are smiling down on all of you. Happy birthday to Donovan. Tuxedo boys do have a way of clinging to your heart. My maine coon tuxedo boy is one of a kind that will never be able to be replaced. Hugs to you my friend.

21. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((MJ)))))) I so enjoyed reading about Donovans beginnings makes me think of Do Lou since even though he was not a oops baby he was considered dead at first and had to be brought back and he is my miracle boy and Piglet is just the cutest thing :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

22. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

MJ, I'm so glad to see your post. I have been wondering how you are doing and didn't realize you were going through so much. What a wonderful, loving bean you have been to all your kitties. So many heartbreaking things have happened in the last few months but you have stayed strong through it all. I love Piglet's pictures and videos. I'm glad you have some bright light back in your life.

Thank you for also sharing Donny's story. I had not read about his early beginnings. What an amazing story!

Big hugs to you and your babies.

23. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

MJ- I read your tribute to Cap'n Donovan the other night...
    and am not ashamed to say I cried myself to sleep-
    Donny & Butthead hold such a very special place in our hearts.
    I love their urns.

What a hellish year for you and the babies...you are such a wonderful care-giver.
    Sending the strongest of vines to Holleigh-B and Daphne.

and Piglet....WHAT AN ABSOLUTE DOLL!!

sending you and yours buckets of love...
    and deepest thanks for all the support, hand-holding AND LAUGHTER that you have given us!!

celi & the Brat Pack

24. MJ+Donovan

Thanks everyone. I so wish that you had been able to meet Butthead and Donny in person, but hopefully through their photos and videos and stories, you were able to feel their spirits. I haven't been able to unearth the early Donny videos I know I have, but when I do, I will share them here.

Have to share this brief clip of Piglet being Piglet (wait for it...)
    [youtube]J5ItOQYPp88[/youtube]

He's growing up quickly. Next week he gets "tutored" :shock:

MJ

25. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Oh my! "Tutoring" -- poor lil Piglet!

26. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

PIGLET GOES RIGHT TO THE SOURCE!

and next week... :shock:

[​IMG]

27. MJ+Donovan

Unfortunately, this is what happened after Donny got tutored. He chewed his stitches, so he had to wear a dunce cap after that. I hope Piglet leaves well enough alone.

[​IMG]

28. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh, MJ... what a year for you!! ((((hugs)))) Will be saying prayers for your sweet girls.

Piglet could not be cuter... poor Tobey better be worried if my Herbie sees his picture!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It is amazing how kittens can open our hearts up after losing a beloved. I'm so impressed with how cool he is with being outdoors... I've tried once with Herbie and it resulted in her being up a tree and almost under the neighbor's deck! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Piglet is so brave!! The second video cracked me up... the way kittens jump is just a hoot!!

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!! Much love from me and the crew!!

29. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

(((MJ)))
    Sending hugs to you ....through my tears....the sadness and the joy...oh MJ..bless you
    for the wonderful Bean you are......thank you for the updates. Wishing the BEST for you and yours...

30. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

The picture of Donny in the collar melted my heart. Ouch ouch ouch.

The "Tutored" comment made me laugh out loud.

31. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Piglet!!! Hahahaha!! Loved that aerial attack!
    And seeing Donovan in his dunce cap, awww... I hope Piglet doesn't need it next week.

All my best!

32. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Well I'm only a week late but still have the same tears for you for the lossnofnyourntwo incredible boys and prayers for your two brave girls and you, MJ. You have been a wonderful supporter and friend to all of us and brought us many late night laughs.

Piglet....OMG..he looks exactly like Gus in the face...they could be twins. Mel's kittens are the best...big round eyes, sweet faces, and amazing purrsonalities. Good luck with the tutoring :lol: :lol:

Happy birthday Donny. We miss you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.