2/23 Buddha

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Donna & Buddha, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Just back from the vet with Buddha. He was off his food yesterday. He is still eating some, just not with his usual appetite. (Thanks also to a nudge from Gator who suggested I should look into the possibility of infection.)

So in a nutshell, Buddha's urine was collected and a U/A run and he does NOT have ketones, does have glucose in his urine, and was positive for infection. So he'll be taking a 2 week course of Clavamox BID.

His appetite was off last night and this morning. His amps was 190 (or +12) and now 4 hours later (+16) is over 500. He's eaten a little bit. I'm not sure how much insulin to give him. I'm thinking just 1u, almost half a normal dose, since he's eating less and I'm hoping maybe I can how effective it was and shoot again at 7 pm to get back to our regular schedule.

Also, when I got the vet office, I saw February was 1/2 price dental month. Talked with the receptionist and she said they do it again in August.

2. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the UTI club, Donna. :cry: Terri told me that Clavamox can sometimes cause stomach upset, so keep an eye out. I noticed that Blackie's appetite was off a couple days after starting the Clavamox, but got better the next day. Did they do a culture on Buddha's urine?

I am assuming when you said amps, you meant that it was your normal amps time and that you didn't shoot. Is that correct? If so, then yes, you should be able to catch up tonight. PZI is pretty flexible timewise.

I hope Buddha is feeling better soon.

3. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Ele -- Yeah, UTI club! Hopefully when we leave the UTI club in a couple of weeks we'll be able to regulate bg better.

Buddha had a good post-vet trip appetite. He's scarfed down a can of fancy feast. Not sure what put him off yesterday and this morning. I think I should boil some chicken, just to have in hand. Only a dead cat would refuse my boiled chicken.

I'll keep an eye on him. But he never barfs. Oh, now I've jinxed him.

Yes, amps today was not really ps, it was just the scheduled time and a no shoot.

No urine culture ... I remembered that there was a discussion about a cyto ... something on Blackie's post. I'm not sure I followed the discussion. Is that to figure out what organism is causing the infection and determining which antibiotic will kill it?

This is the first time I've met today's vet. She was absolutely great, spent a lot of time with me. I can be intense when I'm worried and she handled my differing opinions on diabetic cat treatment well. She offered me the 2 week duration ab shot too, and I declined. I'm scheduled to go back in 2 weeks, so there will be no time between ending ab treatment and the visit, but I'll try to remember to bring up the possibility of a culture then.

Buddha's had many UTIs, even before we knew he was diabetic. I remember the first time when he was fairly young. He was straining to pee and peeing in inappropriate locations. Those symptoms haven't ever shown up again. He had a UTI when he was dx'd fd, and one prior to going DKA.

4. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

WOW! That was quite a guess! Glad I nudged you. :smile: I woke up this morning wondering about the B-dawg and if it was an infection or not. Well one part of me is happy top hear it is a UTI since it is treatable and you will hopefully see some improvement and the other is like "that sux."

Glad you got down to the bottom of it. I'm hopeful this will lead to you being able to have less frustrations getting the DM regulated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.