2/24 Sabrina AMPS 395, +2.5 350, PMPS 281

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by milfordcollector, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milfordcollector

milfordcollector Member

Sabrina's 2/22 Condo
    Hello Lantus Land! Since the 2/22 condo, here's a quick summary to get everyone up to speed...Yesterday I had to leave early for work, so I opted to give her a reduced dose of .5U to keep her safe while I was away(dosed @ +10) At that point, Sabrina was in 4th cycle of the dose increase from .75U to 1U & her #s were higher...thinking maybe a bounce. Today her bgs are slightly lower & ketones are down to .3. At this point she's still getting 150ml per day of Sub Q support...........I'm not sure whether the additional fluids are still warranted after her DKA diagnosis on 2/10., also still hold the 1U for 2 more cycles or did she earn the reduction???...........Opinions please!!! Cindy & Sabrina:cat:

2/23 Recap:

AMPS 269 .5U - 100 ml Sub Q
    PMPS 343 1U 50ml sub q, mirtz, ketones .5
    +3 343
    +4.5 337

2/24 Recap:
    AMPS 395 1U - Denamarin 1 hr earlier, 150ml Sub q
    +2.5 350
    PMPS 281 1U - ketones .3

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

There's nothing I can see that shows she's earned any reduction in dose. Remember anytime you're dealing with ketones you want to get the maximum amount of insulin into a cat that is safe, using carbs if necessary to keep their blood sugar up in a safe range.

With Lantus, you want 6 consecutive cycles at any particular dose and then increase if needed. I suspect you'll need to increase her dose to 1.25u, but I would get 3 more cycles at 1.0u so you have a total of 6 before you increase.

One thing you can do if you have a circumstance like yesterday again is to go ahead with the full dose (since this dose isn't showing any sign of green or anything even remotely low) and then leave her plenty of regular low carb canned food. If you have a timed feeder you could use, that's even better. If you don't have one, you might want to invest in one. Lots of people like the PetSafe 5 compartment feeder - you can set it to open 4 times, so like yesterday, you could've set it to open at +2, 3, 4 and 5, just in case she did get some green numbers. I bought mine at a local Petco - some people order them online.

3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i meant to add, reductions in dose are only earned if a cat drops below 50 on a human glucometer. The goal with tight regulation is to get everything between 50-120, nothing higher than 120.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.