+2.5 IS 52! SPRATS 1/31

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jenn & Sprats, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

He was 178 at PMPS. I gave .5 lantus then. He at some chicken for a treat after test (2 small bites). He ate again wet food just now at +2 whiskas

He had 1/2 can of food after shot and +1 was 319, on .5 Lantas

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/31 - Sprats 171 AMPS, +1 319 W/ FOOD

That's a huge food spike. Just so you know, the dry W/D is 37% carb. You really may want to rethink feeding it especially given what it just did to Sprats' numbers. Dry also takes a while to work it's way out of a cat's system.

If no one has passed it along, here's Janet & Binky's food chart. It has the carbs and other info on most foods.

3. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

I've been trying to wean him off. I have 2 other cats and one will not eat canned food. I feed her just a touch and make sure there is very little in the bowl during the day, but I put out a can of FF classic or Friskies pate while I'm gone to work. That is one thing that stresses me out - I can't be home all day :sad:

4. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, transitioning Baby from dry to wet was an absolute nightmare for me, the hardest thing by far in this whole process for Baby & I - however it can be done & is absolutely necessary in my opinion - to be successful at this. It is kind of like drinking a diet soda & ordering a pizza :lol: meaning, you are just defeating your ownself. I don't know the circumstances of your situation or if there is a medical reason you cannot feed wet, but I cannot reccommend anything more important then getting kitties off dry & switched to wet or raw. Here is a link that might help, I think after about the 100th time of trying FortiFlora is what worked for us, but I do remember tears, lack of sleep, frusturation & trying every trick in the trade more than twice.. but one day it just happened & she is now a Raw/wet addict :lol:

Cat Info

Dry Food Transition

:YMHUG: welcome, we are all here to support & encourage you!

5. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

You can help the transition if you mix a little bit of the wet into the dry--once they get the taste of the FF, & the mix, it becomes easier to slowly take out some dry every day till they go on the all wet--Or else you may need to separate them at meal times--
    Not to worry, many people here work full time & are able to manage theis kitties.
    Welcome to lantus land.

6. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Re: 1/31 - Sprats 171 AMPS, +1 319 W/ FOOD ?? Meat

The main thing is he will just sit and cry and look at the dry food bowl. Most of the time I can get by with putting just a tablespoon or so in. Also, frustrating is that my vet insisted that he had to have the dry M/D. I just recently got her to prescribe the W/D since it was $4 less a bag. 3lbs for $18 - I can sure buy alot of Friskies or FF with what I was paying for the dry!!

Where is the cheapest place for the freeze dried food? And has anyone used the FortiFlora they talk about in one of the articles on dry food transitioning?

7. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

I have used the Fortiflora and would have kept using it, but for starting another supplement that also had probiotics and didn't want to double up!

Fortiflora is made by purina. They put a flavoring in the product that is the same stuff they use to flavor dry cat food. Thus, it can be very effective at getting a dry food kitty to switch to wet as the smell/flavor is the same. I would suggest giving it a try!

8. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Where do you get Fortiflora? Petsmart?

9. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

I think it is primarly a product sold at the vet, but I was able to get mine for a good price from Amazon. Was $19.75 for a box of 30 packets with free shipping. There are other online options as well.... a google search will turn them up for you (make sure you search for the feline variety!).

I found it most effective to open the packet, waft it under Willie's nose to get his attention, then sprinkle just a small amount on his food. It might take a little more to motivate your kitty, but I generally used no more than a packet a day.

good luck!

10. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jenn,
    I've never seen FortiFlora at Petsmart. You can buy it at your vet's, or you can get it online (certainly cheaper than buying it from the vet). PetFoodDirect is having a sale on it at the moment:
    http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/79 ... Supplement

Good luck with the "transitioning"! I've been told that the "secret ingredient" in FortiFlora is "animal digest". You might look at the labels of your canned food and see if animal digest is there. Those might be the brands to start with.

Ella & Rusty

p.s. Christie's post crossed with mine. The Amazon price is cheaper than PetFoodDirect. And do make sure you get "feline"!!

11. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Thanks! Is Rusty a Maine Coon? He's gorgeous!

12. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Rusty's a Maine coon mix, possibly with Norwegian forest cat. There was quite a discussion on the board around the time we adopted him (in late November) about what might be in his mix. Whatever, he's a beautiful kitty. Thanks! I'll tell him you think so, too!

Ella

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I've ordered FortiFlora both through PetFood Direct and Amazon. Just make sure you get the feline variety (white box).

If you need to transition your cats, what about Evo dry? (I think it's their cat & kitten food). It's maybe 8% carbs. Do you know what your vet's rationale is for the W/D or the M/D? My vet gave me the same song and dance (with the canned versions) until I pointed out I could get lower carb food that was higher quality than the Science Diet. When she looked at me funny I suggested she read the labels -- it's all animal by-products vs. muscle meat. Once she realized I knew what I was talking about, she backed off.

If you've not looked at it, check out Lisa Pierson, DVM's site on feline nutrition. She will dispel all of the myths about dry food.

14. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Re: 1/31 - Sprats 178 PMPS?? WHAT SHOULD I DO?

He is due for his PM shot in about 30 minutes. It was 178. Go ahead and give .5 in 30 minutes??

15. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Jenn, my previous vet that first diagnosed Simon in November also put him on W/D. When I questioned her about feeding him the high carb dry food, she still insisted that it was the best for him. I ended up switching to another vet that sees things very differently and only recommends canned food for diabetic cats. I didn't have any problems switching Simon to all canned since he loves it, but my other non-diabetic cat, Cleo, only liked dry food. I couldn't feed Cleo dry food with Simon around because he would push her out of the way and eat her food. It only took me about 3 weeks to transition her totally off the dry food and now she only eats canned. I first slowly decreased Cleo's dry and then mixed the dry in with the canned. Now I sprinkle a little freeze dried chicken in with her canned food and she loves it. I get the freeze dried chicken at petsmart or you can even cook your own chicken and freeze it in small portions. I never thought she would transition to wet food, but she did it. Plus, the benefits to both my cats is amazing with an all canned food diet. Both have lost a little weight (they both were kind of hefty) and they are more playful and their fur looks better. The best thing is Cleo now comes downstairs. For the last 11 years, she would just sit in my bedroom or under the bed and I had to bring her food to her. She now is less shy, and more social and follows me around the house now. I can't tell you what a change this has been. I also bought an automatic feeder which has been wonderful for me because I work full-time. Simon has really taken to it and knows when it will pop open and give him his correct portion of food. Good luck with everything and ask plenty of questions. Everyone here gives wonderful advice and they are so supportive.

16. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

DUE IN 30 MIN FOR PM SHOT... .5 OK AGAIN?

17. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

Georgia,
    That is super reassuring. Where do you get the freeze dried food? Since I've been on FDMB, I see that I have gotten some bad instructions from the vet. If you read my first posts, I was given U40 syringes with N and was giving him 5 units at a time. He had two HYPOS that put him at the vet last week!

18. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

just checking to see if my subject line changed. I can't figure it out!

19. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

your AMPS was 171 and your PMPS is 178? If you're able to monitor for a while tonight, I would shoot. It looks like shooting that number this morning worked out well.

20. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

What if I can't monitor him tonight? I have to take my son to a ball game...
    Good news is - they are calling for a major snow storm in my area and they have closed my work. I get to work from home tomorrow! I can monitor him, all day :)
    Also, I used the lancet pen to test for the first time.........beautiful!

21. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I don't think Sprat's numbers will plummet if this morning is any indication. Will Sprats eat if there's food available? How long will you be gone?

22. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Jenn:

To change your subject line, you go to the first post of the day in your condo. Click the "edit" button. Then make the changes to your subject line and click, "submit." The only way you can change what's visible on the Board is by changing the subject line in your first post. You bump your condo to the top of the Board by adding a new post.

23. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Jenn, I buy the freeze dried chicken at Petsmart but I think I have also seen it at petco. Congratulations on using the lancet pen. I also use the lancet pen and prefer it over just using the lancet. It is definitely a personal choice -- what works best for one cat might not work as well on another. Don't get frustrated with the testing, because some days will definitely be easier than others. When I get frustrated, I take a deep breath and relax. I also sing to Simon when I'm testing and he seems to really like it and it calms him. Someone on this site suggested it and it really has worked for me. Sorry I can't give you advice on the dose, but hopefully others with more experience will weigh in.

24. Libby and Lucy

Re: HELP! +2.5 IS 52! SPRATS 1/31

he's at 52 now? Do you have any high carb wet food in the house? Something like Fancy Feast or Friskies with gravy? If not, you can mix a couple of drops (just drops!) of karo syrup into his wet food and feed him about 2 tsp. Then test again in 20 minutes.

25. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

confused here :)

911 on health says to check here.

nothing in the posts regarding his BG levels down here towards the bottom but original subject line says HELP

is his BG 52 now?

i'm literally running out the door right now but keep in mind (if his bg is that low) that the board will be down later tonight so if you can hook up with someone via phone in case you need it later, it might be a good idea

26. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

yes, the 52 was 10 minutes ago. He ate a few licks of some beef baby food. I have Friskies in gravy I will put out.

27. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

It must have went to the bottom because I changed the subject line of this mornings post. When is the site going down?

28. Libby and Lucy

good, you can give him a couple of spoonfuls of the gravy and check in 20 minutes. That should bump him up nicely. You don't want him to get too full right now because we might need him to eat more later, so try to give mainly the gravy part (that's where the carbs are).

29. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

from 10pm to 2am mountain standard time i think it says in rebecca's sticky up top.

30. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Jenn -- Check your PM (private messages). Click on the "new messages" in the blue stripe at the top of the page below the FDMB logo.

31. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

ok, it is 258 now. is that normal, 200 points up in 20 minutes? Is it possible that I got a bad reading the first time? I didn't get an error on the glucometer or anything.

32. Libby and Lucy

how much did he eat?

It's possible that one reading was bad, but it also seems like Sprats is pretty sensitive to carbs so he could have risen that much. It's not really typical, but he did rise fast this morning. I would test again in 30 minutes to see if he is staying up.

33. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

thanks, I will try again in 30.
    I am on Facebook when this goes down. Jennifer Barnes Beyer

34. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

He really didn't eat that much, he had the chicken pieces as a treat with PM shot. Then he licked the gel stuff off the canned food. When I got the 52 reading, he had some babyfood (meat) about 1 TBSP

35. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sprats may be very carb sensitive. If you're using Gerber baby food, it's about 7% carb.

36. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

262 30 min (almost 4+)

37. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

The baby food is Beech Nut. I looked and the ingredients are beef and broth. It says 0 carbohydrates.
    My vet said baby food was bad for them. If it is just meat and low to zero carbs, why?

38. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Baby food is fine as a treat. It's not a nutritionally complete diet for a cat. They require a number of nutrients, like taurine, in their diets. My vet will encourage using it if Gabby is having tummy trouble (puking) or after a dental with extractions. But, I only feed it for a day or so. There are a couple of products (FF Appetizers and another brand of food) that are just meat and broth. The packages will note that they are not nutritionally complete.

I think you can take the "Help" out of your subject line.

39. Jenn & Sprats

Jenn & Sprats Member

OK, do you think I can quit testing tonight? He is going to hate me for poking him so much lately!!

40. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You can probably back off on the testing. Get a before bed test and if the numbers are consistent, it's ni ni time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.