2/5 Six update AMPS 354

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amy and Six, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Morning LL -

Six visited his regular vet last night to rule out any issues. He does have an upper respiratory infection. He had a small fever - 102.5. The coughing that I thought was due to his heart murmur is related to his infection.

His heart sounded very good, kidney values were good, and we're running a spec-FPL and should have the results on Monday. The lowest his spec-FPL has ever been is around 9. He did show symptoms for a pancreatitis flare two weeks ago and we treated the symptoms at home with our pancreatitis tool kit and with a visit to his acupuncture vet.

He seems to be a bit better this morning, but it could just be my relief that his heart murmur isn't worse as I had suspected. I will be watching him closely (and testing more than he would like) to see if his BG drops significantly once the anitbiotics kick in. As many of you suggested, fingers crossed this is a short visit and related to his infection.

Food - he's on Grammy's Pot Pie mixed with fresh chicken - his staple diet, low-fat, lower carbs. We are also going to stick with the Alpha Trak meter. After using both during his OTJ trial, I prefer the Alpha Track to the One Touch I have.

Since August, Six has been seeing his acupuncture vet regularly to help manage his chronic pancreatitis. He was Mr. Steady-Freddy until January. We had been able to reduce the frequency of his visits, but since his attack, he's seen her twice and is scheduled to see her next week.

On a personal note... While I haven't been around, so many of you have been in my thoughts. Returning to the board is a mixed blessing. I've missed our friends and the support, but I have always struggled with my emotional reaction to our friends who have struggled. I'm working on a way to find a balance so I can stay connected on a regular basis.

Last condo
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35900

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Amy))) I know how you feel....it is difficult to bear the sorrows....but hey, that's what life is all about, isn't it? I do get down myself....but well, this is our home. We have to take the good with the bad....wish there wasn't ANY bad though...

Glad to read that Six is doing better now. You are such a good Mama! All that you do...I know he appreciates it. Not all he ear pricks maybe, :lol: but he knows that you have his best interests at heart.
    Hope you have a Happy Saturday.... :YMHUG:

3. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Amy,
    I hope, too, it's a short stay for you and Six and Maggie, too! It is so sad when we lose a precious one; I so understand. How interesting Six gets acupuncture for the pancreatis. Does Six lay still for the treatment, or is he under a mild sedative? I also got so used to the AT that I didn't change but thought about it several times. I hope Six continues to feel better and his numbers come down once the infection clears. I just bought some Grammy's Pot Pie yesterday for Maggie.

4. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

(((((((((((Amy))))))))))))))
    Look at how on top of things you are with Six! What a lucky cat!!!!
    The falls are great and all, Im sure. But sometimes you need a vacation from vacation, ya know? :lol: Im sure this will be a quick trip to LL for you and Six.

I hope he starts feeling better soon. Fevers are no fun. :-Q

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Amy, You are right on top of all the issues! Brava!!! I'm sure that Six will be returning to the Falls soon. But I hope he will participate in all the kitties' activities while he's "vacationing" in LL! Rusty would like to meet him.

Have a good weekend and good luck with getting the infection under control.

Ella & Rusty

p.s. Grammy's pot pie was one of Stu's favorites, but I haven't tried it yet with Rusty because it's higher in carbs than the Wellness turkey he is used to eating.

6. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Amy - I so agree on being able to manage the sorrows that come with those that struggle with severe health issues. It's the hard part about being here.

I hope that Six recovers soon - you are so on top of things that I expect he will.

Mannie LOVES Grammie's Pot Pie, Southern Delight too... heck he likes to eat period... but those always are greeted with alot of nom nom nom purr nom nom while he eats. Cracks me up. :lol:

Hey Six - I am sooooooooooooooooo happy that you want to come hiking with us - we will have such fun - no snow, no ice, no mud - just fun in the sun. We may even go back to Gracie's afterward and lay in the sun at her patio. She has the coolest spread. See you soon! ~~ Mannie

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Six....

GET DOWN FROM THERE! (oops....didn't mean to yell -- well, yes I did. Gotta get his attention!)

8. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

sorry to see that Six had to come back from the Falls. I hope his visit here will be a short one. Don't hesitate to be aggressive with dose increases (every 6 cycles). Especially when cats come back from the Falls, it pays to get the numbers down as quickly as is safely possible. Hopefully when the URI goes away, the numbers will come back down.

I hope you are doing well otherwise!

9. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

hi, guys! i'm guessing by his name Six is polydactyl??

i inherited a polydactyl tortie this year with HUGE feets!

hoping your stay here is short...

10. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Amy sorry to see Six back from the falls hope its a short trip ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.