2/8 Spicey Switching Insulin

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by tajana340, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Hello Everyone, I talked to the vet today about getting more insulin since I have about a week left. He originally wanted to put her on Lantus. I told him I prefer ProZinc because it was the replacement for PZI. He thought Lantus would be better for spicey because it would give a better curve than ProZinc. I told him I really prefer the ProZinc after all the information that I have read and I don't think Lantus would be the right one for her, and if The ProZinc didn't seem to be working as well as I thought than we could consider Lantus. The ProZinc cost $135 US dollars but should last me awhile.

He also wants Spicey to come in for a glucose test all day but the tech informed of that and I told her I could do that myself. She said "Don't kill the messenger." Unfortunately I don't know how much a glucose curve test cost but after all that I have read. I will do the glucose test myself and I will show him the results. No point in wasting money if her glucose will be high because of the stress of the visit. Anyway just wanted to share with everyone.

David

2. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Whether or not Lantus is "better" is of some debate. And if you were going to go the Lantus or Levimir route I think many would say to choose Levimir over Lantus at least. Some positive research has been published on Lantus recently. But they are different insulins with different approaches. It just comes down to what you think is best for you and your kitty. On the plus for ProZinc, I would expect the switch should be easier for PZI Vet to ProZinc vs to Lantus or Levimir. On the other hand, this might be a good opportunity to switch to Lev or Lan if you are going to do it. Some that have switched to Lev or Lan have been very happy with it.

As long as you are home testing you do not need to do any testing at your vet. And as you point out testing at home is better anyway. If it helps here is the link to the PZI Vet to ProZinc study that you can share with your vet:
    http://www.vetlearn.com/Media/Publicati ... 2_24_0.pdf
    If the link does not work you can call BIV and they will fax to your vet.

Sarah recently switched to Lantus and might have some input for you if that route is something you want to consider.

EDIT: Why would you pay $135 for ProZinc??? That's crazy prices! I just added to the sticky here in PZI land the possible sources for it. One should be able to get overnighted to one's doorstep - shipping and everything - for a MAX of $95. Perhaps your vet would like the opportunity to price match the $80 one I found???

3. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Although you certainly don't have to explain anything, I am curious as to your reasoning why Lantus isn't the right choice for you and Spicey, and why PZIR is. I also think it's interesting, apropos of nothing, that your vet doesn't seem to thrilled by PZIR but wants you to switch to Lantus. It seems like it's usually the opposite, with vets sort of pushing for ProZInc and clients asking for Lantus. If you decide at any point that Lantus is something to consider, as Gator mentioned, I did just make the switch and would be happy to tell you of my experiences so far. There are others who have done the same and would be glad to speak to you as well.

I agree with your assessment and Gator's reasoning about the blood curve. No point in it when you can do it at home for only the cost of strips, and Spicey will be way less stressed out.

Glad to see you posting again; I've missed you! :)

4. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Sarah, As far as my reasoning to go with ProZinc versus Lantus is I looked at some information and I double checked the info today and I couldn't get enough info to feel comfortable about switching to Lantus. Since ProZinc is the replacement for Pzi Vet, I felt more comfortable with all the info I read and I really need an insulin that is the 12 hour 2x a day. Now I could be wrong but from what I read about Lantus considering that I didn't seem to find a lot of info in that forum, I was under the impression that Lantus you have to give every 6-8 hours, considering that I couldn't find more info in that forum.

So all in all I felt more comfortable with ProZinc for now. I am not ruling Lantus out. I just need more info before making that decision. I would like to try the ProZinc and see what happens. And any Info would be great.

David

5. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

One gives Lantus [or Levimir] every 12 hours or twice per day. It actually lasts longer than that but so does PZI for some kitties. But, the timing is more sensitive to that schedule than PZI. PZI is more flexible timing wise. And you need to be patient with Lan Lev as it absolutely takes a few days for the dose to settle in [it actually needs time to build up in the body]. Also Lantus is a little more fragile of an insulin and will not take punishment [like being left out overnight] as well. But again, if you want to go that route seriously consider Levimir over Lantus. Terri switched to Levimir and is quite happy with it.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you can get ProZ for a bit cheaper if you haven't already bought it. Check the sticky at the top of the forum, I think Gator put in some links for sources. I have seen $90 quoted, but I don't know which supplier, or if that includes shipping or not. (I see Gator has found some for $80... go Gator!)

Lantus is 12/12 as well as PZI (though PZI can be shot more often, whereas Lantus I believe you have to keep to a pretty strict schedule). You are making some good progress, I agree sticking with a similar insulin makes sense, rather than starting over with a new one, where you could lose ground at first with the do-over. But really, probably any of them are fine. Go with your gut is my view. Did you see all the stickies in the Lantus forum? I think they have a lot of info on it, but I haven't looked lately.

You are totally right that a curve at the vets is a waste of time & money, as well as unneeded stress for Spice. IMO they are only useful (and even that is debatable) if one is not hometesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.