2.9 creatinine... dental ok?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Buttercup, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

my civvie cat with kidney disease is sceduled for a dental on tues of this week. on friday a couple days ago he blood work was normal except her creatanine was 2.9 (high normal 2.4. this was 3 days after she had 100 ml of subq. how bad is this? i don't have alot of experience with kidney disease (vet thinks it's due to old age) she's 13. should i go through with the dental? she has lost a tooth and needs the root pulled out even though at this time it is not infected or anything. she has a lot of tartar. he said he would just use gas not any injections to put her under and give her some fluids first. last time she had her kidneys checked i think it was a couple of months ago her creatatine was 2.5. i am worried about her level in general and about the dental. how bad is 2.9 creatanine? bun was normal as was liver and cbc counts. thank you.

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Sara, dental issues can also lead to kidney issues. I would definitely get the dental done. Clean up her mouth, she will feel better for it and as long as the vet gives her fluids she should be fine.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I just took my civvie Sydney in for a dental last week. She went in the day before, so they could administer IV fluids, do the dental next day and the vet did the dental early, so she could continue with IV fluids for a few hours after.

She's doing great and needed 4 teeth removed. So, yes, get it done, but make sure they take the time to do fluids. Even if it means an overnight stay.

4. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

thanks. yes, i would prefer she was on an iv all day prior. if i drop her off morning of she would be on iv mabye a few hours but that might not be enough. i hate to leave her overnight but that would be one solution. going to talk to the vet tomorrow about it. thx.

5. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Can anyone answer if 2.9 is ok?
    Sweety's bloodwork yesterday showed Creatinine at 2.5 (2.4 high on scale). Vet scared me saying her kidneys may be shutting down. Have to bring them a urine sample.
    And can feeding her an hour before change the results? - her bun was also higher than normal.

Phos was ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.