? 2/9 Simon +8 149, +10 187 what to dose this AM?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KarrieK, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarrieK

KarrieK Member

Good morning, after a day in the greens (some of them low) yesterday I gave Simon a little less than half his normal amount last night (1 u). He climbed overnight and is now at 187. When his shot time comes, in about 90 minutes, should I reduce him to 2?

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

I say it is better if you are not going to stick with 1 U again, that it is then 1,5 U you only should increase to.

3. KarrieK

KarrieK Member

He's was at 250 at +11. I was thinking 2 units max, but you would still suggest 1.5? Will see where he is AMPS.

4. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Decreases and hold the insulin one can do abrupt when hypo and low numbers, but when increasing again it is Safety and Better Safe Than Sorry 0.5 half-units in increase level.

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Your spreadsheet says you are using TR (tight regulation). Is that still correct?

6. KarrieK

KarrieK Member

Trying to! I must admit the 2 dosing methods still baffle me. A while ago, one of the members (can't remember who...) suggested that would be most appropriate for us at this time. Possible because I am not home during the day to determine nadirs? At any rate - I would welcome any other suggestions on this confusing (to me) subject. Thank you!

7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Actually, if you are not home enough to get those mid-cycle daytime nadirs, and can only test mid-cycle nights & weekends than SLGS would suit you better.

That is Start Low, Go Slow (SLGS).

People push TR because some cats do seem to get into remission faster using that method. On the other hand, cats become diet controlled on all sorts of protocols and insulins. Becoming diet controlled is not specific to Lantus and TR.

Plus, the goal of feline diabetes treatment should be to get your cat feeling better and healthier. Diet controlled status (remission) is a bonus.

8. KarrieK

KarrieK Member

Thanks Deb, I guess one of the main reasons I didn't think the SLGS method was appropriate for us was that we didn't start low at all. When Simon was released from the hospital in early December, he was already at 2 units - so too late to start low. I am still confused as to what I would need to do differently to change to a different method.

BTW, I wholeheartedly agree that the goal is to get my cat feeling better! He has had a healthy diet for the past 4 years. I started giving both him and his sister home cooked food when Carly was diagnosed with IBD. So, he hasn't had but a trace of a carb (an occasional temptations treat) for 4 years. His diabetes came out of nowhere. He is not overweight, but he does have heart issues which is complicating the process.

I test him am and pm preshot, then before I go to bed (which is usually at his +3) but as far as determining what "method" I am using......guess I need more guidance on that subject! I have learned so much, but obviously there is a lot more I need to understand. Thank you for taking the time to respond !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.