+2(96) +3(56) ?? Go Johnny! But stop and enjoy the scenery!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Janice & Johnny, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janice & Johnny

Janice & Johnny Well-Known Member

We'll see what today holds, but I'm really not feeling that this new dosage is doing enough. Thinking of going back to .5u tonight or tomorrow, depending on today's numbers, of course.

Yesterday:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16686

2. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 6/8 Johnny AMPS 231

Good Morning Johnny starting the day out with a sunny yellow amps :coffee:

3. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

Wonder if Johnny is going to be one of these cats that needs a dose like .3572 units :razz: Can you hit a dose between the .25 and the .5? I've not had to worry about doing microdoses but there are some here that do say they can measure a dose and then drop by drop eek out lower dose. Someone might pipe in but 5 drops / something sticks in my mind........... I know - not helpful, eh

4. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Rebound from that 57 can last up to 72 hours--I wouldnt raise just yet--Let's see what happens the rest of this cycle--see our ss, Moonie can bounce for a few days before coming down like she did today(she has a 60's number 2 days ago)
    Hope you see progress, I think you will :mrgreen:

5. Janice & Johnny

Hi Lisa! Thanks for the coffee and cheer.

Joyce, you might be on to something. I was thinking that same thing this a.m. It might be worth a shot. It does seem to me that .25 is to small of a dose and .5 is too high and leads to a lot of low, low numbers and late evening drama. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Roni, so glad to see that Moonie back in the green! I feel so dense, but I'm just not understanding this bounce stuff. A number in the 60s can cause a bounce then take a few days to recover....but now with another number in the 60s you don't expect a bounce?

6. Janice & Johnny

Re: 6/8 Johnny AMPS 231 +3(176)

+3 is 176.

7. Janice & Johnny

Re: 6/8 Johnny AMPS 231 +3(176) +6(116) +9(154) PMPS 245

Today's numbers:

AMPS 231
    +3 (176)
    +6(116)
    +9(154)
    PMPS 245

Tonight will complete 6 cycles on the .25. I'm wondering if .25 is enough for him right now. Any thoughts on upping dosage for tomorrow? Somewhere between .25 and .50 like Joyce alluded to? Or back to .5 (which resulted in some big (too big) evening drops before). Johnny's feeling great, but I feel like progress stalled a little at this level. But, I feel too new to this to make that judgment! Maybe others see a trend starting that leads you to think we should stick here for a bit.

Any advice?

8. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: Dosage advice - tonight completes 6 cycles on .25u

Here is some info to think on....

Increasing the dose...
    --- Hold the dose for 3 - 5 days (6 - 10 cycles) if nadirs are less than 200 before increasing the dose.

--- After 3 consecutive days (6 cycles)... if nadirs are greater than 200, but less than 300 increase the dose by 0.25 unit.

--- After 3 consecutive days (6 cycles)... if nadirs are greater than 300 increase the dose by 0.5 unit.

You are on your 6th day (12th cycle) but have seen a couple of greens. Would it be possible for you to get a +10 or +11 on the pm cycle? I know that might mean getting up earlier. I just wonder how low he goes at night to see those yellows in the AM.

My inclination would be to hold this dose a couple more cycles. Let's see what the other more experiences beans think. ;-)

9. Janice & Johnny

Re: Dosage advice - tonight completes 12 cycles on .25u

Thanks for the advice and info, Paige, and for correcting me on the cycle numbers! I missed the boat on that detail. ;-)

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: Dosage advice - tonight completes 6 cycles on .25u

Actually, tonight is 6 days/12 cycles at this dose (2 cycles per day).

I think it's a matter of how aggressive you want to be. You have one cycle out of 12 that had a bit of green. If you want to increase, you can try a fat 0.25 or skinny .5u. It's a matter of a drop added to your current dose.

11. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, I missed the boat plenty of times. I had a hard time with all the lingo. :lol:

12. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

the protocol says that if a dose reduction fails, you should go back to the last good dose. Johnny did have one good cycle on this dose, but overall it does not look like the reduction stuck.

You have a couple of choices. According to the protocol, you can go back to the last good dose, which was 0.5. That should jump start things again. It might jump start things a little too much, but you test a lot so you should be able to catch any drops.

Or, you can try fattening the dose instead of going all the way to 0.5. For a lot of cats, a drop is enough to make all the difference. We don't really know yet if Johnny is one of those cats, since we haven't tried it. It's a safer option, since he did hit 57 just a couple of days ago.

Up to you. I would increase the dose, but you'll need to decide how much.

13. Janice & Johnny

Thanks for all the advice! I think we will do an increase tomorrow a.m.

Does "fattening" a .25 mean pulling the plunger back just a tad more (toward the .5)? Or is it halfway between?

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

This will probably be totally unhelpful (how's that for a caveat)...

I think most of us have our own way of shooting a fat or skinny dose. For me, a "regular" dose is with the plunger situated as close to the middle of the marker line as possible. Fat or skinny is with a sliver of space between the line and the plunger.

What will be helpful is that I don't push the plunger. Instead, as I'm titrating the dose, I twist the plunger to get it situated where I want.

15. Janice & Johnny

Sienne, that's very helpful. Thanks for the tip about twisting the plunger versus pushing it in (and out and in and out...)! We'll try it tomorrow.

16. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hi janice. told you i'd respond to your PM here, but it looks like libby has beat me to the punch.
    yes, increase the dose! when a dose reduction fails, it is not necessary to hold the for 6 cycles or more.
    i'd take the dose up to a skinny 0.5 unit... the end of the plunger closest to the needle should be even with the side of the line closest to the needle.
    hope that makes sense. good luck with the increase!

17. joyce-tuscany(GA)

Janice - something that I just recently discovered - after all this time. - is that if I look at the plunger/marker from the side instead of straight on- I can be a little more consistant with my dose. I am not sure if you can follow what I mean - but if I try dosing by looking at the unit/ 1/2 unit mark - straight on - I am less consistant. If I instead look at plunger level from the side of the unit marker I can be more precise - or more apt to hit same dose regularly. Does that make sense? I do hope you have a magnifying glass to use. I'd be lost without mine.

18. Janice & Johnny

We do have a magnifying glass. I know what you mean. Brian does most of the measurements/shots and he said he lets a little bit of daylight come in-between the .5 and the dark 0 zero line. I'll pass your tips on.

We've just gotten a 96 at +2. What?! Johnny must have heard us talking. Two days ago at +2 he was 237 (after a 293 PMPS). Brian says he measured tonight the way he always does. I don't think he's been using the magnifying glass most times, just the same daylight measurement.

We'll definitely take a +3 to find out if he falls back within his 150s/160s of the past few days at +3.

Is this a sign to not increase?! Gosh, I feel like I'm being so needy. Have I told you lately that I love you guys?

19. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: +2(96) ~ First green since 6/6 ~ 2nd guessing increase??

lol! looks like johnny has been reading the board! :lol:
    see how things go tonight and we'll revisit the subject tomorrow...

20. joyce-tuscany(GA)

These cats - they always preempt us - They do read the board you know. Hey, we love you too - no problems. Johnny might be one of these cats that it takes all 6 cycles or better to finally start working. Tuscany will do that - It can be very frustrating - you want to move things along and then wham they throw a curve ball at you. I hope Johnny has jumped on the surf board for you and that it wasn't just an isolated number.

21. Janice & Johnny

56 at +3

Jiminy! Why did my boy inherit this late-night gene? :) I love staying up late, but I also like sleep and getting to work in the a.m. ;-)

Brian's giving him some LC FF right now. He ate some FF appetizer right before the +2 (96). And now is getting a tsp of the low carb...hopefully surf's up! (Johnny, if you're reading, we'd love to see that.)

I'm going to bed in a bit, but Brian will be up (or set phone alarm) to do a +4, etc. Maybe we should get a +3.5 in there?

Is it possible that he's been getting .25 for 6 days and now this is the start to some normalizing of good numbers? Would a bounce be expected after this?

Boy, if I ever understand the bounce phenomenon, I'm gonna write a book.

22. Roni and Moonie

Moonie always waits for the last cycle of the 6th cycle to show me a change--SHE DOES RESPOND TO ADDING A DROP ON TO THE DOSE--
    I also use a magnifying glass with every shot, as my older eyes arent what they used to be :lol:
    I just had a feeling Johnny was going to go down right at the end--

Oh I see he has dropped to 56--OK now you want to start to feed this number with low carb food, and is needed, some med carb or High carb food.--Do you have some??

23. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

It's possible. And it's possible that Johnny read your condo and that you were planning on a dosecrease that he didn't think was warranted. Sometimes, it's hard to predict if a bounce will occur. Sometimes Johnny bounces, sometimes he doesn't. Some kitties are known for their dramatic bounces. The bounce is simply the body's way of protecting itself from a low number.

Good job with feeding the curve.

24. Roni and Moonie

I would test and feed within in the next 15-20 min..Now is the time where he could drop a bit & you need to keep feeding & testing to keep him surfing in good numbers--It's called Lather, Rinse, Repeat!--Test, feed, & wait 15-20 minutes to see if he is coming up--
    I wouldnt go to bed yet!!!! :coffee: --Remember you have your lc,mc,hc foods, your strips and with that you are In control of the situation!! OK?

25. Janice & Johnny

We're feeding some low carb since the 56. He's pleased. I told Johnny he was going to ride a surf board. He said "Mew!" :)

At +3.75, he's at 64.

Since he's rising a bit, I'm going to bed (grouch and bad day today), BUT Brian will test for intervals over the next few hours. He has his phone set for numerous wake ups and will not fall asleep if the numbers warrant closer attention. I'll leave this screen up in case he needs to post, but he'll wake me up in that scenario (HC). Just don't be worried to see that I'm online all night. We feel very equipped thanks to you guys. :) And we'll keep feeding LC unless the situation warrants otherwise.

We'll post in the AM re: dosage, but I think maybe he's finallly adjusted! Woohoo. Thanks for the patience with us, I mean me. ;)

26. joyce-tuscany(GA)

Ni Ni - Surf Johnny Surf!

27. Janice & Johnny

Goodnight, Joyce!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.