2 days, 2 vet mistakes corrected, 2 hypos averted

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anonymous, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think it deserves noting that altho it happens with astounding frequency in just 2 days 2 cats were spared the vet's dose and brought down by our 'suggested' dose and both cats avoided hypo. revealed by their very nice nadirs at 1U.
    Sometimes it is clear that a person likes, trusts, loves their vet and finds it hard to accept that a mistake, sometimes a dire mistake has been made by them. I personnally do not know why it happens so often. I find it ver distasteful that it does happen so often...and maybe that shows in my posts.
    But today, 2 folks lowered their dose with advice given here. 2 cats had excellent nadirs. 2 cats avoided hypo.
    I'm just sayin.
    Will I get deleted for saying this>?????
    oh well.

2. Meleksmommy

Meleksmommy Member

And at least one happy sugarcat and his momy that we got such sage and effective advice - in conjunction with that of our vet (we're lucky in that ours is respectful of our choices as long as we're making educated ones). Thank you!

3. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

If there was no hypo, how is it known that the vet made a mistake and a hypo was avoided by people not following vet advice?

I know many people here have had horrible vet advice and mine may well have hypo'd Smokey if we hadn't started home testing. But I do dislike the vet bashing that goes on here sometimes and it can really make some members uncomfortable when the board is pulling in one direction and the vet in another. Our vets are often our first front in emergencies and it always better to work with them when possible and get them on board treatment than to push members to just ignore vet advice. Vets usually have a whole case history on a kitty and though they may not be as experienced as some of the boards members in diabetes, they are more experienced on the kitty in question.

It sometimes scares me when I see people giving willy-nilly advice here before they have even confirmed what kind of insulin is being used and then continue to advice on an insulin they have zero exposure and knowledge to. I know that is not always the case, and I know some members' here are the most knowledgeable in their insulins than anyone else I have encountered and am forever thankful for all of the great advice and support I received here. But the current state of people trying to prove they are better than other members and better than the vets and better than whoever is really souring this site. I wish it would just get back to rejoicing when kitties get good treatment and not worry about who bested who.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i only had time to read your initial question sorry, but we know a hypo was avoided becuase 1u not 2u was givin as first shot and nadir's of like 70 or so were seen. is that evidence enough?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ok melanie, back and read your post. i do know what you mean about the holier than thou crowd. i hope this did'nt sound as one of those. i hate that type of thing too! this was about when it's pretty soundly and a popular thought arises that 'hey, let's not start that kitty on 2U's at that #...we like to start on 1U and go from there. sometimes it may be let's not continue that kitty on some very high # and start over.
    we happened to be right this time...but had we been wrong it still was the prudent thing to do.
    i thought most insulin rooms agreed on the low and slow protocol. no harm can come of it.
    it's how we all usually work it.
    humbly, and not uppity (UGGG)
    lori

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.