2 diabetic cats needing help in St. Louis, MO

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by raisin, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raisin

raisin New Member

Hi!

I am happy to find this forum (how have I missed this?). We have 3 cats. Raisin (11 yo) was dx w/ diabetes approx 3 years ago. He is stable, happy, & frisky! Noah (10 yo) was dx w/ diabetes this past December. After several months of treatment, he seems to be overcoming his neuropathy! Yeah! We also have Abbey (12 yo) who is diabetes-free.

I am sad to say my dear husband is just worn out with caring for 2 sugarbabies. We have had all our cats since they were kittens, but he is threatening to want to put the diabetetic ones down. We have tried various means of cost-savings, etc but the continued expense (esp. w/ 2) & the logistics of being unable to leave home overnight are just getting to be too much (pet-sitters & boarding 2 kittties is getting too expensive).

So I hate my first post to be a plea--but is there anyone in the St. Louis, MO area who would be willing 1) to swap care for vacations & such or 2) know any sources for homes for my babies? They seem so "healthy" & happy, but this issue is causing serious marital discord. Any help greatly appreciated!

Aletha, Abbey, Raisin & Noah

Attached Files:

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Sarah and Buzz live in the St. Louis area, I will message her to see if she knows of anybody that can help with vacations, etc. I would be willing.. but I live in the Kansas City area. (((Good Luck)))

3. RachelandConner

RachelandConner New Member

Would also love to help, but also in the KC area.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hi Althea. I'm nowhere near St. Louie, but have been there several times and like it alot.

Maybe you can tell us some about your treatment protocol so that maybe we can help you identify some cost savings. What insulin and where do you buy it? About what does it cost? Same questions with syringes, glucometer, and test strips. (The glucometers and test strips are for home testing blood sugars.) How often do the diabetics go to the vet and what for?

Also, what food do they eat?

5. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

I live in the suburbs of St. Louis and would be willing to help you with care. I can't take any more furbabies in right now, unfortunately, due to cost. However, I have a lot of free time and would be willing to help you in any way possible, whether it's with care or tips or savings or whatever I can do. I will send you a private message and then if you would like to get in touch, you can just reply to that. If you aren't sure how to check messages, up top in the light blue bar, it says "User Control Panel (0 new messages) View Your Posts" If you have a new message, it will say "1 new message", etc. Just click on that and it takes you to your inbox, where you can click on the individual message. :) Sorry if you already knew all that.

Hope to hear from you soon! :)

6. raisin

raisin New Member

Thanks for your replies! In an ideal world, I'd be feeding my kitties raw food & doing home testing. BUT, after a $900 "experiment" with an aternative food (Raisin went into shock--huge vet bill), we have just taken the "easy" albeit expensive route of Purina DM. We were getting Lantus from Walgreen's for $90--but it shot up to $116 last time (with no time to shop around; we needed that evening). I had found an online-source for it for around $90 for next time, but not sure about quality? We get the syringes at Sams--this price is pretty good--i haven't seen cheaper online. The DM is expensive (and I know really not all that great for them). It just gets really costly doubling everything! And Noah is a large kitty--he takes more insulin.

We see the vet only for 6 mo testing; about $100/for each; but we haven't taken Noah back; my DH is refusing. I don't think I have the energy or time to do home testing, which I know we'd have to do to get off DM. The wet foods have been so unpopular & my DH says it will end up costing the same. I told him home-testing may reduce costs in the long-run, but he is afraid we will get into trouble like the $900 bill before, or else the initial outlay will be too much.

Essentially, I think we have to find another home for Noah--we just can't do 2. Although he & his brother Raisin are such buddies! It is a quandry, and I procrastinate doing anything because it means someone is leaving home.

Aletha, Raisin, Abbey & Noah

7. Dale

Dale Member

May I suggest that you have Sarah (since she's willing) come to your house and hometest your cats to see if they are even diabetic before you think about rehoming them? Do you even know what their bg's are? Can't even tell you how many times a cat is supposedly diabetic only to have them go to a new home where the owner hometests and finds out the cat isn't even diabetic anymore. So if I may be so bold, please get with Sarah and let her come visit and hometest your cats. She can also get info about their personalities and give you suggestions to cut costs.

8. coldenburg

coldenburg Member

I am in the St. Louis area and currently unemployed. I could assist with checking on your cats or administering insulin when you are away.

I have my own diabetic cat. I am having trouble regulating him right now - I posted a 911 tonight - read that for more info if you want.

Just some info though. I can't imagine dealing with diabetes with these guys without home testing. I bought a Freestyle Lite meter and I get test strips from Ebay. I got 100 for $40 last week. My insulin, which is Vetsulin is $44 and lasts for months. I know I will have to switch to another soon because Vetsulin is being discontinued. I know nothing about the others yet.

When he first was diagnosed, I researched food and decided on Wellness wet - which is expensive, however, in the 12.5 oz can which is more than two of the small tuna size cans, its actually economical. And I have many cats so they eat almost a whole can, but you could just store in the fridge what they don't eat. I also free feed Innova EVO Cat and Kitten dry food. It is 8% carbs. That is lowest besides Nature's Variet Raw Instinct - tried that and my cats all walked away. These foods are sold at specialty pet food stores mostly. Wellness sends out coupons for $1 and I have a store that lets me use them on each can. I just received a coupon that is good til next week. My cat's diabetes went away after I first switched him, then it came back later. Some people have luck with it going away for good. Its worth a try. However, the Purina DM did not look good to me - still 13% carbs. Not sure about the pricing, but I don't think I pay much more. Innova Evo is $42.99 for 15 pounds. There is also Wellness Core - sold at Petco now, which is 11% carbs. I think that is about $38 for 12 pounds and wellness sends out coupons for $3 for those occasionally. They also sometimes offer $10 rebates. I have the coupons on email and can forward them. Petco also sells the cans, but not the large ones so its more expensive and I doubt they would let you use the coupon on each.

I totally understand the issue with money. I told my boyfriend tonight that we may have to go to ER and he said no way! It is very difficult now for us because I made over $60K last year and now I'm on unemployment at $345 a week! I am mystery shopping on the side though and that helps. If you are interested in that I could point in the direction and that would be some extra money or free dinners! Hoping I can get this under control myself. This is the 3rd day. He must just not need as much insulin anymore.

9. raisin

raisin New Member

Pretty sure they're diabetic--neuropathy just went away in Noah after nearly 4 months on Lantus. Raisin--who has been to the vet more often-- his numbers always come back insulin-dependent. I am willing to try the hometesting route & see.

Thanks coldenburg for all your suggestions & sorry your kitty is in distress! I hope he regulates soon. It is funny you mention Innova EVO--that was the alternative food we were trying with Raisin that ended us in disaster land (but we were not home testing).

My guys are older & soooo picky. I have never even got them to lick wet food. Ugh. Perhaps we can try again!

Thanks,
    Aletha, Abbey, Raisin & Noah

10. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Mr. Darcy who I adopted in December had several blood tests at the vet and was "insulin dependent" but as Dale mentioned in her post, he's one of the cats that's not FD. Venita who helped re-home him did have his caretaker switch his food to grain free Fancy Feast, that could be part of the reason.

He traveled from Virginia to Connecticut on a very rainy day and there were several transporters who were amazing and helped get him to my home. The stress from that trip alone should have produced a high blood sugar reading but that very evening he was in the 70s. He got a shot of Vetsulin that morning, 2 units.

I tested him numerous times since then and he is insulin free and always has BG readings in the 60s and 70s although he did show signs of diabetes. He drank lots of water and had increased urine output.

Since December Mr. Darcy has transitioned away from canned food to raw food. He's my only raw food eater, but the reason I mention this is that Mr. Darcy's water take and urine output has decreased drastically just from the switch to raw food. He used to drink a cup of water a day, now I refill his bowl about twice per week instead of twice per day. His coat is nicer and he's filled out.

So, the point to my long post is to please let the others teach you about hometesting and ways to save money on treating your kitties. You may be able to get your cats into remission or you may be able to treat them and within a decent budget. I don't spend much on Tucker's daily care for his FD. A couple of test strips a day and a small amount of insulin, maybe a dollar a day for Tucker's diabetes care.

11. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hi Aletha! I PM'd you again yesterday, just wanted to make sure you got it. Hope your guys weren't too scared of the thunder earlier. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.