2 different meter readings

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KattyKay, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KattyKay

KattyKay Member

Hello! I am not sure what to do when I get two different readings on my Alphatrak meter. The first reading that I got was 51. I thought that was weird considering he stays between 115-150ish. So, I pricked his other ear and did another reading and got 134. Should I have gotten a 3rd reading? This has happened to me twice! Thanks for your help and support!!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Was the first sample really small? I'd probably do a 3rd. Is your cat on insulin or in remission?

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I would have done a 3rd test as well. The 51 may have been a wonky strip. Like Janet is saying, may have been enough to give a reading but still a smaller sample, which results in lower number too.:)

4. KattyKay

KattyKay Member

He's on Lantis. And yes the 1st sample was small.

5. KattyKay

KattyKay Member

I was wondering if it had to do with the sample size. Maybe I'm crazy, but one ear seems to bleed better than the other!

6. Yong & Maury GA

Not at all! Other members have made similar observations so they have a preferred ear ;)

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  7. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

@JanetNJ & @Yong
    Out of curiosity, why would a smaller sample give a lower reading?

I would have def done a 3rd sample too. Have had a few wonky readings and that's what I do.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's just something I observed... A few times I had a sample that I thought was too small and when I read it it was low.

9. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

The area just below the skin is the interstitial area. Since there is extra fluids in the interstitial area this could tend to "dilute" the glucose reading to a degree. Especially when people "milk" the poked area it will not always give a good capillary reading of the blood.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2903977/

I like to get a good blood drop from the original poke or if needed an additional poke.

ETA If you think when you "poke" a blister it gives out a clear fluid (interstitial fluid) as opposed to blood. A poke that does not get enough blood will tend to have more interstitial fluid which could "dilute" the BG reading

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    AlphaCat likes this.
  10. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Thank you for explaining it to me:)

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  11. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Just for interest sake...the skin is the largest external organ in the body. It is not just a minor layer of skin over the body...it is actually considered an organ and has three separate layers to it...

12. Yong & Maury GA

Yes Tuxedo Mom gave better explanation that mine was going to be. Diluted is much easier :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.